By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MICROSOFT: Q2Results - 3.9m ONE and 3.5m 360's. Qtr Rev up 14% !! to $24bn. Qtr profits up to $6.56bn. HUGE!

Nsanity said:
Darth Tigris said:
Nsanity said:
Darth Tigris said:
starcraft said:
All cock-size comparisons with Sony aside, if Microsoft can turn such a huge profit amidst the enormous cost of a launch, they're in for a major profit on this generation of consoles if they can keep the games going!

Interesting way of saying MS is in the black, amirite?

I came across this a few moments ago on NeoGaf:

Microsoft reported a net income of $6.56 billion in this report. Meaning, they've netted more money in the past quarter than Sony has in the past ten years combined:

http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Sony_...Flow_Statement

http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Micro...Flow_Statement

I apologize for this in advance to any that would take offense, but this is the first thing that came to mind when I read this.

This gif seems more appropriate:

Around the Network

[UPDATE] Following the publication of this story, Microsoft corporate PR representative David Dennis issued a statement to GameSpot that aims to clear up the discrepancy between Xbox One units shipped vs. sold during the quarter.

"We sold through nearly every unit we could in the holiday period and pulled forward as many units as we could from Q3. However, only some of those shipments were sold into the channel in the final period of the quarter and so there was not time to sell the units through to customers," Dennis said. "These units are now being sold through to customers."

JayWood2010 said:

[UPDATE] Following the publication of this story, Microsoft corporate PR representative David Dennis issued a statement to GameSpot that aims to clear up the discrepancy between Xbox One units shipped vs. sold during the quarter.

"We sold through nearly every unit we could in the holiday period and pulled forward as many units as we could from Q3. However, only some of those shipments were sold into the channel in the final period of the quarter and so there was not time to sell the units through to customers," Dennis said. "These units are now being sold through to customers."

"Sold into the channel" basically means arrived at retailers right?

DerNebel said:

"Sold into the channel" basically means arrived at retailers right?

Basically it appears it was a late shipment to retailers that is being sold in january but counts towards december (Q2)

Sony&Nintendo vs Microsoft:

Totally owned. :D

Around the Network

Give some of that money to Nintendo! Take down PS4 at all cost! :P

X1 pretty much as expected. Don't know why people are surprised about a few 100k more or less, but everyone is taking the 3m number for granted, even though the statement was "over 3m"....

Anyway 360 quite a bit undertracked and definitely not in the US lol.

Great results overall.

justinian said:
Pemalite said:

The insane part about all of this is that Microsoft still has over $80 Billion in the bank in cash and short term investments.
To put that in perspective... That's more money on hand than a majority of governments in the world.

Wonder what they intend to do with all that cash?

Funny you say that. Apparently that's more money than the US had in the bank at some point in 2011.

As for the cash, keep it. Contrary to popular believe many think that this economic crisis is not over, it's just taking a deep breath.

What's the point of keeping it when they could earn interest on it?

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

With the profit created by the Xbox business this launch quarter I believe this sets up Microsoft to be very aggressive moving forward with the Xbox One. If they see the PS4 lead start growing considerably they can easily counter with a lower price or add value with free games in the box, etc. This is what I suspected all along with the $500 price. It will end up giving them flexibility and it did not matter at launch. It may matter year 2, but the extra revenue from a $500 launch is already in the bank.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:
With the profit created by the Xbox business this launch quarter I believe this sets up Microsoft to be very aggressive moving forward with the Xbox One. If they see the PS4 lead start growing considerably they can easily counter with a lower price or add value with free games in the box, etc. This is what I suspected all along with the $500 price. It will end up giving them flexibility and it did not matter at launch. It may matter year 2, but the extra revenue from a $500 launch is already in the bank.

Yeah good points.

I think although Sony is selling well, Financially they made a bad call. MArketshare is to important to them. But then they are a poor Business company in comparison.