By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Seriously, Nintendo is not THAT Important

leyendax69 said:

Not necessarily, but actually that's what you said in the first place. It helps to point out that the op is right in the third affirmation.

The third point suggested that those holding up Nintendo as tbest must have narrow views or limited experience; I disputed this by providing examples of my exprience with non-Nintendo gaming and my preference for a wide variety of games.

Around the Network
Mythmaker1 said:
osed125 said:

if that's the case, you can say that for absolutely every game in existence, or hardware for that matter.

Say Sony stops making consoles and after a void, Apple, Samsung, Google or whatever comes with another console. If that's your perception of something not being important then anything is not important in life, because practically everything can be replaced.

That was more or less the point. That there isn't anything that makes Nintendo immune to that.

The same with Sony (at this point basically the whole company ) and MS (game division mostly), so Dream_While_Awake basically says it all.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Actually Nintendo is by far the most important and prominent console and handheld developer ever.

TheLegendaryWolf said:
well not everyone likes COD style games or yearly sports games. Some people like RPG's, Action adventures, platformers, arcade racers, futuristic racers, tactical games, puzzle games, snowboarding,rail shooters, and FPA's. Nintendo is the only publisher to basically cover most types of genres.

Whoa whoa whoa. Are you telling me those genres don't exist on other platforms? Are you telling me Nintendo has more of these?

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

True, but similarly not company is THAT important. We're Sony, Microsoft, EA etc. to individually leave (not all), would the landscape change drastically? No, not really.wou

The industry is too strong to be propped up by one company, though seeing them leave would be sad. Now, if a series of companies folded like the ones above, everything changes. But even then I doubt

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Mythmaker1 said:

Just for reference, with regards to point 3, does history refer to sales, reception, or endurance?

I'm not as conversant with the Film industry as I'd like to be, but I'd think that Dreamworks would actually be in a pretty good position to fill in for Pixar, at least, though Disney is a much more difficult beast because they're such a far-reaching conglomerate. Their family films are actually largely overshadowed by their partnership with Marvel in recent years. I'd actually say someone like Warner Brothers would be in a good position to take over for them, given the way they've been working with DC the last decade or so.

In terms of the gaming industry, Metroid and Kirby are iconic, but not really irreplaceable. Their releases are infrequent enough and at the lower end, sales wise, that they wouldn't leave as much of a void. Mario and Zelda, however, are different, thought he latter doesn't really define its genre anymore. Zelda is an institution, but there are a lot of third-person medieval action games with puzzle elements. Its important more because of its active fanbase, rather than its actual importance as an institution (only supposing here, the precedent doesn't really exist). It would definitely affect the industry, but probably not in an immediate, business sense.

Mario is probably the only one that really sticks, but I think a lot of the way other publishers neglect the genre is because Mario has a stranglehold on it. Everyone knows you can't compete with Mario, so no one tries. Yet look at all of the indie-platforming games that have flooded the market in recent years, outside of that competition. For a couple of years, there might be a void, but I don't expect it would have serious long-term consequences. It's sort of like World of Warcraft. If WoW fell tomorrow, just about every company would leap at the chance to take its place.

As fara s things go, you're response is probably the strongest rebuttal to my argument, and I can't write it off. I don't think I really agree with it, but it's a hard nut to crack without more research on my part, I think.

I was going to put a line in about Dreamworks, but didn't want to ramble. Dreamworks has some moments of brilliance, but they are often too focused on pop-culture referencing for their works to really stand out in the long term (this is what really dragged down the Shrek series as it went on). They are derivative more often than they should be, despite the talent they obviously have.

Are there a lot of third person medieval action games with puzzle elements? Prince of Persia is more of a platformer, Okami's not coming back, Medieval, too, more of a platformer (still wish Sony would push it more). The Last Guardian, but... yeah.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Well, they are not more important that a company like Sony.

This had to be said.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

curl-6 said:
Mythmaker1 said:

It's fair that that's your opinion. I just get an itch when I see absolutes applied to subjective views because it basically gives them the force of fact; there's no opportunity for middle ground.

When you say "Nintendo games," do you mean that collectively, or individually?

I feel like I kinda need to put a disclaimer in my sig, that any view I express is simply my opinion and I do not claim it as fact. XD It was not my intention to express it as an objective absolute.

I mean both the average quality of their output, and the amount of all-time greats they develop.

I recognize it's not being stated as fact, but in a conversation, an absolute opinion has the force of fact. You can only consider it right or wrong, and there is no middle ground. It may not be objective, but it is no less absolute. Intransigence kills conversation. :P

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

As long as there's money to be made, the industry will move on...end of story. Gaming i s even more relevant that it has ever been with just about every entertainment device trying to tack them on now.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Tell that to likes of toasted bread.