By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lightning Returns FF XIII Review - 4 / 10

I have the feeling one user in this thread may be a bit biased... >_>

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

Meh. I enjoyed playing through FFXIII and FFXIII-2, despite the negativety surrounding those games. So I suspect I'll like this one too.

I'll probably pick up Lightning Returns a month or two after release, when it drops down to £15.. or something.

I remember them giving more ways to stop and manipulate time as a response to people bitching about that mechanic.

And then didn't rebalance it, because of dev time, being lazy who knows. Which is dissapointing, it sounds like previously it would have provided you with ample time, while actually using the 13 days and creating more tension. Now it's sort of just there.

It still looks fun, the demo was fun, I'm still excited for it.

it's a shame though that whenever Toriyama's Teams have good ideas gameplay wise imo (X-2, XIII-2, LR), he has 18 month or shorter development cycles. It's a shame he didn't try and polish these ideas when he had like a 5 year dev cycle of the original XIII.

Oh Square... How low have you fallen

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I thought FFXIII itself was a good game and pretty much did everything that could be done short of 5 staring every mission for platinum. However, these sequels aren't as good. Mostly for the lack of polish and recycled material. With all that said, a score of 4 is just waaay too low. I'd have given a 6 or 7 after reading that review. Anything below 5 = shovelware with today's numbering standards.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

Good good, the more negative reviews, the more chance that this game will go on sale so I can get it.

Cheap bastardo lol I agree! That's what I'm doing too. I'll get the trilogy. =D

Whatever. I think the game looks excellent and am quite hyped to play it! Not to mention, I really don't think this is going to foreshadow the reviews it will end up getting.

Anyway, I'm not going to give this review much attention. I mean, did he really spell "towns" with a 'z'?

FinalFantasyXIII said:
Anfebious said:

Could be! It also doesn't help that FF XIII had a ridiculous story, I think I ended the game without understanding what the hell happened o_O.

No more ridiculous than FFIV where Porom and Palom saved Cecil and his party. 

Well at least Final Fantasy IV had more compelling characters.

And I liked the gameplay in FF IV more. I really tried to like FF XIII but I was just fooling myself.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

And yet, Toriyama finds himself a position on SE's quality assurance committee.

Maybe I should lower my expectations for XV........ You know, just in case......

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---