Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anonymous Dev documents Wii U experience

chris_wing said:
snyps said:
drake4 said:
snyps said:
drake4 said:
snyps said:
Its on the internet so it must be true?

Wiiu having trouble running most 360/ps3 games  makes anything believable, who would have thought this would happen after such a long generation.

Wiiu having trouble running most 360/ps3 games?  What 360/ps3 games are those?

AC4, batman orgins, and COD ghosts are all running 5-10 frames behind the 360/ps3 versions, and most launch games had the same problem, AC3, blops 2, micky mouse, and batman arkham city, even resident evil revelations.

it's the way you worded it that i had "trouble" with.  360/ps3 games run fine on the Wii U.  Calling one or two frame drops "trouble running" sounded hyperbole.

It's not just momentary frame drops, just go look at the DF video with the PS360 version of AC4 running mostly between 32 & 26 FPS consistantly (with an occasional momentary drop, especially on PS3) but the Wii U version struggles to maintain even 24 FPS and goes all over the map when stuff is actually happening, spending lots of time in 20 fps land.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGNeLufdAU "The biggest issue with the Wii U version is its lacklustre performance level, the game visibly struggling even to match the inconsistent update of the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game." - Digital Foundry

I watched the video just now and can see your point.  That's an unusual case it seems.  Not most cases.  I would still not say it has trouble running it.  In the video i can't see the difference except numerically.    I play the game everyday on Wii U and it's glorious.   No trouble at all.

Around the Network

This pretty much sums it up i guess. What i don't get is if power consumption was so important to them why didn't they go with a ARM cpu? Backward compatibility really isn't that important, and using a ARM cpu would have allowed them to redisign the Wii-U into a real tablet in the near future. Even X86 would have been way better.

AnthonyW86 said:
This pretty much sums it up i guess. What i don't get is if power consumption was so important to them why didn't they go with a ARM cpu? Backward compatibility really isn't that important, and using a ARM cpu would have allowed them to redisign the Wii-U into a real tablet in the near future. Even X86 would have been way better.

ARM is way worse than the CPU in Wii U. And bc was always important to them.

snyps said:
chris_wing said:

It's not just momentary frame drops, just go look at the DF video with the PS360 version of AC4 running mostly between 32 & 26 FPS consistantly (with an occasional momentary drop, especially on PS3) but the Wii U version struggles to maintain even 24 FPS and goes all over the map when stuff is actually happening, spending lots of time in 20 fps land.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGNeLufdAU "The biggest issue with the Wii U version is its lacklustre performance level, the game visibly struggling even to match the inconsistent update of the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game." - Digital Foundry

I watched the video just now and can see your point.  That's an unusual case it seems.  Not most cases.  I would still not say it has trouble running it.  I play the game everyday on Wii U and it's glorious.  In the video i can't see the difference except numerically.

The game does look nice across the board, but the Wii U version runs the worst & I'm guessing sold the worst.  Couple that with the alleged SDK problems/headachs & you can see why most 3rd parties are backing away and leaving the Wii U.

off topic:  It's starting to feel like Nintendo requiring their own hardware to play their games is kind of like if Disney stuck with HDDVD and forced people to buy an HDDVD player if they want to watch their movies.  It just seems kind of anti-consumer to hold your games hostage on hardware that doesn't have any other real support.

This isn't the position Nintendo wanted to be in, you remember all the talk about the Wii U being a system designed for 3rd parties and all the promises Nintendo made about great 3rd party support.  This isn't how they wanted it to be.

walsufnir said:
AnthonyW86 said:

ARM is way worse than the CPU in Wii U. And bc was always important to them.

ARM cpu these are actually really good, especially if you are looking for something that doesn't take to much power. It has taken Intel years to get a X86 chip that can give some competition in this market. When it comes to raw performance even older ARM chips beat the 360's Xenon in per core performance, definitely at higher clock speeds. It's to bad we don't know when these first plans were made but i'm guessing it must have been 2009 or even earlier, before Nintendo could have known mobile chips would develop so fast or that X86 might have been an option.

Even with the current PowerPC based design, why go so low in power? Wii-U power draw is less then 40W at most for the enitre system, upping the clock speed considerably would still have kept the power consumption at very acceptabel rates.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
FlamingWeazel said:

Yes if devs and publishes could releases there games on N consoles and make money they would do it in a heart beat, this is obvious unless you think companies hate money....

It is Nintendos doing why their consoles are unattractive to most third parties and seen as a waste of time. They have done little to try to change this.

Name me ten 3rd party exclusive games on the Wii or Wii U that you would've bought if they were exclusives on the PS3/XBOX360.

It's not Nintendo's fault third party devs are inept. 

I see no reason why an AAA Crash Bandicoot exclusive wouldn't sell on the Wii U. They just aren't trying. 

This is a valid point. I recall all the noise generated when No More Heroes sold what it did on Wii (which Suda was actually proud of, but let's hush our mouths about reasonable expectations), and yet absolutely nothing came out when the game sold less on PS3. There were only a small group of Nintendo-exclusive third party games that really could have sold significantly better than they did had they gone to another platform, and the multiplats that sell especially poorly in comparison do so because they are... especially worse. Often with large, important features missing.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I don't care what anyone has to say about the Wii U, I love it like a parent loves his imperfect child.

chris_wing said:
snyps said:
chris_wing said:

I watched the video just now and can see your point.  That's an unusual case it seems.  Not most cases.  I would still not say it has trouble running it.  I play the game everyday on Wii U and it's glorious.  In the video i can't see the difference except numerically.

The game does look nice across the board, but the Wii U version runs the worst & I'm guessing sold the worst.  Couple that with the alleged SDK problems/headachs & you can see why most 3rd parties are backing away and leaving the Wii U.

off topic:  It's starting to feel like Nintendo requiring their own hardware to play their games is kind of like if Disney stuck with HDDVD and forced people to buy an HDDVD player if they want to watch their movies.  It just seems kind of anti-consumer to hold your games hostage on hardware that doesn't have any other real support.

This isn't the position Nintendo wanted to be in, you remember all the talk about the Wii U being a system designed for 3rd parties and all the promises Nintendo made about great 3rd party support.  This isn't how they wanted it to be.

This is one of the most insightful and critically penetrating commentary I've ever read on the Wii U. Spot on Sir. 

I love the Disney analogy; I too want to be able to play Nintendo games without being forced to buy a console I consider redudant and vastly inferior to my present console of choice (PS4).

i don't see the problem with not looking at PSN and Live. Nintendo likes to innovate and do their own thing.
Thats what makes some people hate them but its also reasons a lot of us love them.

Their online capabilities are way beyond the original Wii and they will learn over time and it will continue to get better.

Their support since then has gotten better as mentioned by Indy developers and Nintendo has no issues with games that work online with environment other than the Wii U's. i think that is great.

As well last time i checked their online capabilities are free. You can't even use Netflix with the xbox one unless your online and my understanding is the ps4 has now gone to a more paid system than before for online capabilities.

edit:I should mention i am a developer and tech support fun is just part of the way things are.  you have to work hard at getting their attention sometime...but again my understanding is Nintendo has improved in that domain.

Do they have more work to get better? Of course.  Sony and Microsoft arent without their flaws.

Devs still looks little lazy to me. We all know since N64 NIntendo is doing its own thing. They want something similar to Sony/Microsoft. And we all know this never going to happen.

And this can be positive and negative for Nintendo.

Is good because we know we will have unique experiences in Ninty consoles. Is bad because we know we won't get the same games others will.

Click HERE and be happy