By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft wanted Splinter Cell: Blacklist to sell 5 million copies - only sold 2 million

superhippy420 said:

The cost of game development is the main reason why I think Sony will be in big trouble in the coming years, unless their 1st party games start to sell much better.   A game like SM3DW sells 1.5 million (90 million in revenue) and I wouldnt be shocked if Nintendo is already making a profit on it or has atleast broken even.  A game like Killzone Shadow Fall sells 1.2 million (72 million in revenue) and it may not even be halfway to breaking even, considering how much more it must cost to develop a game with the specs that it has.  Hopefully Sony's 1st party sales really pick up because for as much as we all talk about console sales, they don't really mean anything in terms of the parent company's success.   The gamecube only sold 20 million consoles but Nintendo sold 72 million 1st party games and actually made more money off it then Sony did off the PS3.

We don't know how much Nintendo made from the GC. They made a lot of money in that gen because of the GameBoy.

Around the Network
Darth Tigris said:
Farsala said:
It could have, with proper marketing and good reviews. I saw a few ads but not many that mattered.

Meta score was good, but the lack of marketing hurt the sales.  That and the SC 'faithful' being big babies about stuff ...

Yea, why appeal to your core fanbase.  You know, the guys who got the franchise to be popular to begin with, giving you enough sales form the start to do sequels.  And then stuck around for the first 3 or 4.  Yea, fuck those guys. 

Lawlight said:
superhippy420 said:

The thing is though is those are just pure development costs.    Sony also has to pay a hefty cut to retailers, shipping costs, marketing costs, and whatever other stuff Sony needs to pay for.   Theres just no way a game like Killzone 2's total costs were only 40m. while Saints Row were 123 m.          Its actually pretty crazy how much of the total costs actually go into devolopment.  I saw somewhere that GTAV's development costs alone were about 200+m. so they may have actually spent 400m. after all the marketing (which there was a TON of) and the cuts to the retailers.    Obviously is was worth it for them, but the total cost to these companies can be insane.   Nintendo has been avoiding marketing costs for years, but I think they need to invest some $$$ into the Wii U.   All the ad's they put out at holiday time obviously helped sales.

I doubt Saints Row 4 cost 123M.

Especially when you consider that most of the engine and assests were refined for the 3rd one.  So if you said both games cost that much (including marketing), I might believe you.  But not the 4th one by itself. 

superhippy420 said:

The cost of game development is the main reason why I think Sony will be in big trouble in the coming years, unless their 1st party games start to sell much better.   A game like SM3DW sells 1.5 million (90 million in revenue) and I wouldnt be shocked if Nintendo is already making a profit on it or has atleast broken even.  A game like Killzone Shadow Fall sells 1.2 million (72 million in revenue) and it may not even be halfway to breaking even, considering how much more it must cost to develop a game with the specs that it has.  Hopefully Sony's 1st party sales really pick up because for as much as we all talk about console sales, they don't really mean anything in terms of the parent company's success.   The gamecube only sold 20 million consoles but Nintendo sold 72 million 1st party games and actually made more money off it then Sony did off the PS3.

Don't worry about Sony's 1st party games. I mean, God of War III, Uncharted 2/3 and LittleBigPlanet all sold 5-6m. GT5 sold 10m+. That's 5 huge 1st party games right there and The Last of Us is also going to sell 5-6m. Then you have all the 2-4m sellers like Killzone 2/3, Infamous, Uncharted 1, Heavy Rain, LBP2, GT6, Motorstorm, Resistance 1/2 etc.

Most video games don't need to sell as much as you think to break even or make profit. Take God of War: Ascension for example, it cost about the same to develop as God of War III at $44 million (total budget) and even though it sold about 2m by the end of December 2013, which is only half as much as God of War III achieved in the same amount of time, it still made all its money back and then some.

Look at this GFK data for European software sales and revenue from January to June 2013: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=668021

As you can see in the case of Sony's God of War: Ascension it made over $35 million by June in Europe alone, when you consider that it sold twice as much in the US and then factor in Japan and the rest of the world it made roughly $130 million by June 2013 and only cost Sony around $40 million. If you fast forward to December 2013 it's now sold roughly 2m and made $170m+ or around $130m+ in profit. I don't know how much of the revenue Sony actually get but I'm guessing it's a good majority of it and they are making a heck of a lot of money.

So if even God of War: Ascension made that much money just imagine how much all the really big 5/6m+ exclusive games made? The 2-4 million sellers are making huge money and Sony has plenty of those as well as all their 1m+ sellers like Heavenly Sword, Infamous 2, Resistance 3, Beyond Two Souls, Ratchet & Clank games etc. So again, don't worry about Sony's 1st party, they are doing brilliantly and will only go from strength to strength on the PS4.

Shame about the Splinter Cell series, I loved Chaos Theory but Double Agent and Conviction just wern't that good and so I never even tried Blacklist.

withdreday said:
adriane23 said:
d21lewis said:
withdreday said:
Nem said:
I think this series is a victim of sequelities.

If you ask me, it also says that if youre going to do that, use numbered titles. I got no idea how many games in the series there are. Its not a series you can easily jump into.

But it's not like it's a series based heavily on story anyway. It just launched at the wrong time.

It kinda is.  Sam Fisher had to kill his boss, find his dead daughter (or some shit.  I can't remember.) was still alive, and become a fugitve.  Storyline is pretty important--not in a MGS way, but still.

And this is why I'm still on the first one. Normally, I'd just skip to the most recent one (e.g. Hitman), but I don't want to start the last three Splinter cells (or however many released last gen) without completing the first three.

Well there's zero story in Pandora Tomorrow. so I say skip right to the best one in the series (chaos theory) and move on from there.

Oh really? Thanks for the tip. How long is it though? If it's not that long, I might as well play it. And there's really absolutely no story, or is the story just paper thin?

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
superhippy420 said:

The thing is though is those are just pure development costs.    Sony also has to pay a hefty cut to retailers, shipping costs, marketing costs, and whatever other stuff Sony needs to pay for.   Theres just no way a game like Killzone 2's total costs were only 40m. while Saints Row were 123 m.          Its actually pretty crazy how much of the total costs actually go into devolopment.  I saw somewhere that GTAV's development costs alone were about 200+m. so they may have actually spent 400m. after all the marketing (which there was a TON of) and the cuts to the retailers.    Obviously is was worth it for them, but the total cost to these companies can be insane.   Nintendo has been avoiding marketing costs for years, but I think they need to invest some $$$ into the Wii U.   All the ad's they put out at holiday time obviously helped sales.

I think you're underestimating the amount of money SONY makes on a 1st party sale and overestimating the cost of getting a game out of a store and into the hands of a consumer. Look at Heavy Rain for example. that was a well marketted game with AAA production value. Development and marketting are the too biggest chunks of the budget and in total that was just over $52M for SONY. They only spent about $30.4M on the ads and that was a very well advertised game by SONY standards. The game hasn't even hit 3M yet it's put out $180M+ $130M+ in revenue for SONY.  Killzone did significanly better sales wise and Gran Turismo 5 sold at least 5-6M at full price. 

On top of the money the make on first party, you've got third party royalty fees that help them out. The bulk of Playstation's financial woes are really just tied to hardware sales. Selling a console and praying for a strong attach ratio in the early years to keep you financially healthy just isn't an awesome business model. SONY and Microsoft have proven that on a number of occassions now. 

A lot of these 3rd parties like Rockstar and THQ are operating really inefficiently or doing something else seriously wrong.  You would think they would be much more strict about this seeing as they make less than a first party publisher with each sale. I'm still trying to wrap my head around Modern Warfare2 costing Activision $40M+ in development alone. Then you have these summer blockbuster movie industry styled marketting strategies with costs in the 100s of millions to get their games featured in a commercial every 5-10mins and featured on cans for multiple brands of soda. It's not even optional. They've got to do this to make sure the game sells and actually makes up it's already crazy cost.

EDITED

4 ≈ One

It's too bad. The game was phenomenal. Best SC since chaos theory.

Even though this is most likely an exercise in futility and lead into pointless arguments, I am still going to put my 0.2 cents in since people mentioned the data I posted on THQ budgets and profitablity:
First off, what I posted is not some random guesses: these were from the Bankruptcy filings by THQ itself, and if they don’t know about their own budgets and ROI, then no-one does. I trust the source, a noted game consult and analyst.

Next, obviously all of the Saints Row 4 120M+ was not spent on development. Marketing, corporate overhead (all those suits!), R&D… all the other costs on a title pile up very quickly as well. The bottom line is, THQ was looking to clear 55M for 181M$ sales on Saint’s Row, which means a vast majority of the money made disappears somewhere within the halls of the publisher. A lot of it will be the dev cost, but there are a lot of other money sinks it seems. In the end it makes no difference: either games are profitable or they are not. What proportion went into dev vs. other costs is not that relevant. Notice how they project to take a loss on 2.4M sales on Darksiders 2. That tells you something.

You just need to look at Square for validation of this. Despite their 3.5+M sales of the new Hitman, half of the team at IO was fired as thanks, and the Montreal outfit is now making mobile games instead of new console Hitman title. If the title was profitable, why would they do this?

I also noticed several people on this thread seem to think that the publisher gets the entire 60$ charged at retail. Distribution, manufacturing, and of course retail cut eat away at this very fast. We are also seeing games discounted aggressively earlier and earlier all the time.

Next, I agree that Sony has been much better about their budgets lately. I am very hopeful that they are going to do well this time around. They have to as well, profitability is now very important to Sony, their financials for the last few years have not been great. I am a long-term Sony gamer, so this is great news to me.

Let’s hope we see budgets brought under control this gen, as not all games can sell 5M copies. However, thus far budgets have been going up each gen. Let’s hope this gen bucks the trend!

outlawauron said:
Rogerioandrade said:
you know... when games need to sell 5 million to give their developer some profit, something wrong is really going on in this industry....
Didn´t people learn from Square Enix mistakes last year ?

This statement your making has nothing to do with what they've said.

Publishers wants to do expotentially better than just profitting. They want Splinter Cell to do well enough to finance multiple games on its own.

Either way or another, it´s an unsustainable situation. If a franchise is only manageable if it sells more than 5 million, a number that very, very few games achieve, then someone is not  paying attention to the signs of the market.  The AAA paradigm is not sustainable anymore

Nem said:

Im sure it will sell a million on PS3 and 360 and probably another million on PS4/X1/Wii U combined.

6 million is over the top. I would say 4 million at best.

To be honest... im not convinced the game is that good though, so if the reviews dont match it could be a disaster.

While not incredibly accurate you should still look at the US pre-order chart.

But it's correct that IF (which I don't think) it wont score that high it's going to flop sales-wise.