By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will the X1 ever be able to pass the Wii U?

SubiyaCryolite said:
IsawYoshi said:
zorg1000 said:
bonzobanana said:
There is one huge factor in wii u's favour that people are overlooking. The wii u is an incredibly cheap design with low manufacturing costs.

Nintendo have tried to sell the wii u at an inflated price and its struggled but ultimately the wii u will have lower manufacturing costs than a hard drive equipped ps3 or 360. The wii u is fully capable of being sold at a very low price.

There is hardly anything of value in the wii u component wise and they have not used functionality that requires licensing.

1. The chipset is on a 40/45nm process. GPU 40nm and cpu 45nm this is the same or worse than 360 and PS3. The xbox one and ps4 are on a much more expensive 28nm process.

2. There is no hard drive and only a small amount of low speed flash memory.

3. It requires far less power than 360 or PS3 and hence all power components are of lower spec and cheaper.

4. The gamepad screen is just a very low cost resistive screen probably only costing a few dollars.

5. The DDR memory chips are very low speed basic chips, below the memory bandwidth of 360 and PS3 (wii u uses embedded 32MB of memory to compensate for this).

6. Optical drives are not expensive now even higher density drives and there is no support for multiple layers on wii u.

7. They have no licensed royalties to pay. The wii u will not output dolby or dts 5.1 or 7.1 it just uses 5.1 lpcm. It does not have any bluray movie playback or media centre functionality requiring licensed codecs.

8. The radeon gpu is near entry level mobility spec with low licensing costs.

9. The gamepad is missing some functionality like analogue triggers and they use a very low spec battery pack that lasts only 4-5hrs.

10, Obviously the case etc is very basic, minimal size and the circuit board for both the console and gamepad is very low cost.

I'm just making the point Nintendo can price the wii u far more aggressively than ps4 and xbox one. Lets not forget the wii u on average performs lower than 360 and PS3 and the design is using very low cost technology of today. Nintendo have very cleverly used very low cost components in a way that maximises their performance.

Will people be predicting the xbox one will outsell the wii u if the wii u is priced at £99 or £129 etc, maybe $150 in the states. The wii u is fully capable of reaching a budget price point for next christmas that would be impossible for ps4 and xbox one without absolutely huge losses.

Clearly Nintendo loves to make huge profits on weak hardware but they have a card they can play if they have to.

Also the wii u is the only console which is an upgrade route. For current wii owners who basically only use their wii casually, fitness games etc. The wii u represents an upgrade path where they can still use all their old wii software. The pricing of the wii u console may not be right yet but of those 100 million wii users I think many will upgrade when the wii u console hits the right price.

The key thing is at the moment the wii u doesn't represent a fair performance level for its current pricing but that can change.

I think the ps4 is the almost definite winner of this generation but its harder to tell with xbox one vs wii u. I mean the ps4 can basically do anything the xbox one can do but better with the exception of kinect features which most people don't want. The xbox 360 was the king of multiformat gaming vs ps3 but this time around the ps4 beats xbox one considerably by a far higher margin.

Ultimately either could beat the other depending on console pricing, marketing and their exclusive games. Both companies have been poorly managed recently with a lot of poor decisions made. I'm still amazed at how low Nintendo set the wii u spec to the point where it struggles to match ps3 and 360 for multiformat games.

Wii U is sold at a loss at $299 they arent in any position to drastically reduce price

Unless they drop the gamepad that is. 

If they dropped the gamepad what on earth would make the Wii U attractive compared to the X1 or PS4? Heck it would barely be attractive next to the 360 or PS3. That what be suicide on their part.

Never said it would make it attractive. It's a way to cut the price, nothing else. Although I suppose they could start making more darn games to make it attractive, but if the years under Iwatas rule have though us anything they ain't going to expand with new studios anytime soon.

Around the Network

Yep. Will double the Wii U lifetime.

I think it will pass sometime during the Holidays 2014.

Well, people seems to have forgotten the XOne still has 8 major "tier 2" countries to release this year. I bet second or third quarter, than tiers 3 and 4, may be China one day.

XOne has already supprassed 2012 WiiU sales, with two weeks to go and without Japan. And what would make us belive WiiU first semestre this year will be better than last year?

So, everything points to XOne passing WiiU late NA summer ( PS4 early summer).

I think it won't pass the Wii U in 2014.
It might close if Halo 5 would be released in 2014, but I think it will be in 2015.

Or if the X1 gets a price cut and the Wii U gets none.

You've got to be kidding me.

It's already gotten half of the WiiU's LTD numbers in the 2 months it's been out. The OG Xbox did jack shit in Japan but still outsold the Gamecube; the 360 and PS3 are neck and neck almost entirely because of the former's huge lead in the States and UK. Plus MS actually has third party support.

If they don't surpass the WiiU this year, then they will in 2015 for sure.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

Around the Network

this thread is pretty funny, xbone will surpass wiiu easily this year.

zorg1000 said:
lt_dan_27 said:

They dumped the xbox immediately because it was a horrible selling console, and  they could never dream of making a profit. The 360 is still very profitable. The xbox one will overtake the wiiU pretty fast. In just a couple of weeks, it was at half the sales. I don't see the wiiU's current sales being a new trend. I'm betting they die down by the end of January.  The sales being recorded are still from christmas, so I'm betting they drop off pretty sharply afterward. I think the ps4 will overtake the wiiU by the end of January, and the xbox one will overtake the wiiU by spring. 

While I agree that One will outsell Wii U at some point, saying One is already at half its sales doesnt really say much considering Wii U had similar launch sales in 2012 but dropped immediately. One is already doing pretty poor in Europe without stock issues and sales in Japan will have little to no affect on sales. That basically leaves America as a place that One can soundly outsell Wii U but with PS4 likely being the preffered console among hardcore gamers and the $300 vs $500 price difference between One and U, its possible that the difference wont be huge.

I wouldnt be surprised if One has a huge drop off in the early part of this year, not as bad as Wii U drop off was last year due to 3rd party support and TitanFall but most of its games will be on PS3/360/PS4/PC so its not a gaurantee that sales will remain very strong.

On the other hand, Wii U sales have been strong in Japan recently and there have been alot of reports of Wii U selling out in America which is most likely because retailers didnt order alot but it at least shows there has been demand for it over the holidays. Whether or not this is just a holiday boost remains to be seen but with Donkey Kong releasing in Feb and Mario Kart likely in April, there is a strong chance that Wii U sales remain steady throughout the early parts of the year.

With that said, I do believe Xbox One will pass Wii U eventually just not necessarily as early as u believe. Once Halo releases and a price cut happens then I see sales picking up drastically. Maybe late 2014 or some time in 2015.

I see what you're saying. I thought the x1 would overtake the wiiU way faster at first. It coulld be slower now. All of the numbers we've seen to this point are just prechristmas numbers. So we won't know how it truly is until new numbers are released. My prediction is the ps4 will be at 3.8 to 4 millon. the wiiU will be at 5.2-5.3 and the X1 will be at about 2.8. If the sales for the wiiU don't don't drop soon, it's gonna take a while.

Yes it will. Q1 2015 at the latest.

Xbox is king in the usa so its possible to beat wii u and the ability to air nfl games will give it a massive boost!

No.