By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much are U enjoying your Wii U?

1) 7/10 - I lovethe functionality of the gamepad. I didn't own a Wii, so I like the backwards compatibility and the massive library of games that I have access to. I wish Nintendo could have built a better online infrustrture though. It's 2014 now and what they put together is honestly a joke. There methods of online interaction are also a bit archaic. The UI is also a bit sluggish, though I like the layout. 

2) A couple times a week. 

3) Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U, and Windwaker HD. 

I plan to get Pikmin 3 after I catch up and play all the other games I currently have. 

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Around the Network
hsrob said:
I'd rate it about a 6 (about a 4 for the first have of the year and an 8 for the second). The last few months has actually provided me more games than I have time to play and 2014 is looking quite promising.

You seem honest. How´s the network features? As bad as last gen or a little faster and smoother?

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

menx64 said:
1) 9
2) Very often, almost everyday since I bought it.
3) Pikmin 3, wind waker HD, lego city story, MHTGU, NFS, TW101, Earthbound, little inferno, MSF, Nanoassault...

The wiiU is a fine console with great games. The gamepad is really awesome, some people love to bash nintendo for the inclusion of the gamepad, but I love it. It has a lot of potential. 2014 is going to be a great year for the wiiU.

Earthbound? The SNES game? Does it hold up today? The WiiU seems perfect for games like Civilization or Tropico, it is a shame no one does stuff like that more often.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

1. As of now, I give the Wii U 7 out of 10. While I do like the games I’m playing at the moment, some online gaming would really spice things up for me. Can’t wait for MK8.
2. I got the Wii U around Dec 7, 2013. I’ve used it almost every day for around 1-3 hours.
3. Pikmin 3 is my favorite amongst the games I have because I’m a fan of the series, and I like its RTS gameplay and exploration of levels.

My biggest complaint is the miss on online gameplay opportunities. Games like Super Mario 3D World, Sonic: Lost World, Pikmin 3, and Nintendoland could’ve had online co-op/head-to-head. Even if the games didn't need it, the option of having such modes would be nice..cause you know, its fun to game with friends.

Dream_While_Awake said:

If you own a Wii U, please share the following info with me:

1) As of now, rate the Wii U on a scale of 1-10

For me, it gets a 9/10.  I own the PS3 and 360 and the Wii U has kinda eclipsed them in non gaming functions.  Those consoles do what the Wii U can do but the Wii U seems to do them more smoothly and more intuitively.  The big functions, at least.  It's a necessary part of my day thanks to the super powerful browser, Miiverse, TVii, and of course the games.  I wish it had Achievements but I don't miss 'em that much.  Plus it keeps getting better.  The underdog has a lot of charm.

Minus for Miiverse/Waru Waru Plaza being embarrassingly kiddy and missing some funtionality like streaming music apps and letting me view movies on the U via my portable HDD.  Little nit picks, really.  I could find a lot of flaws with the system but at the end of the day, the Wii U makes me smile. I really am satisfied with the hardware and games, though.

2) How much have you used the Wii U?

Like I said above, it's a necessary part of my life.  I use it all the time for various reasons.  Of course, the family friendly games just happen to be my cup of tea.  The GTA, Madden, or the Call of Duty crowd likely won't feel the same way.

3) What are your favorite Wii U games? Why?

Pikmin 3 is hard to explain.  It captures your imagination and it is just so charming.  I forgot how much I loved this quirky franchise.  I put off buying the game until December but if I knew how much quality it was packing, it should have been a day one purchase.  Super Mario 3D World is one of the most polished pure gameplay experiences I've ever had the pleasure of owning.  It's one of the few times where you can't think of anything they should have done differently when the credits are rolling.  It just makes me smile when I play it.  Arkham City on the Wii U just shows off the controller so well and it's a great game in and of itself.  I keep going back to it despite already owning it on day one for the 360.

Also, give any other opinions on the Wii U that you feel like sharing. Thank you.

I still think the Wii U isn't being pushed to its full potential.  I have a ton of ideas for the gamepad that would totally rock but instead of seeing more software that uses it in amazing ways, I'm seeing games with more subtle uses for it.  It still rocks, though.  Some things I like to put the spotlight on:

• Off TV Play is great.  Xbox One can let you watch TV while you game.  So can Wii U.  Same problem but different solution.
  • Controller feels great.  Way better than it looks.
  • TVii is fantastic with the right TV show.  Posting with a bunch of motivated individuals (TV Tag) during a show like The Walking Dead is a lot of fun.  Like watching with friends.
  • I don't think the Wii U is or ever will be a hardcore console.  The thing just has a certain charm about it.  

Around the Network

1. As of now I would give my Wii U a 9 out of ten... I have had one since launch day and it has improved immensely (performance/ features). There is still a little polish that can be added, but really nice.

2. It shares time with my steam linux box (which between Kerbal and Europa Universalis is winning right now)... but it is in use all day between the three of us.

3. What have I really enjoyed, that is a long list...
ZombieU, AC4 (story sucked but the pirate simulator and sea shanties were great), Monster Hunter, Ninja Gaiden, COD BLOPS2, Pikmin 3, Splinter Cell, Wii U Sports Club, Darksiders II, Need for speed

The rest of the family play the Mario titles, Pikmin, Just Dance, and Rayman mostly

That's just off the top of my head, we have other games for it that were good.
... and a few to avoid, ACIII (bad story, dull characters) and the Wii U Sing dreck.

I love my Wii U, I sold my PS3 and got one for the same price as what I sold my fat PS3 with games so it was a no brainer. I pretty much got it for the kids but I really really love the gamepad, netflix is amazing, you can just go touch the settings, like pausing, subtitles etc unlike the PS3/360 menus its much faster and more user friendly. The internet is so much easier to browse. The games are amazing, if only it could play blu ray movies it would be the best console ever.
The games like AC4 is much better, check the map on the gamepad etc

All in all I'm very happy with this console and so much fun, I love the innovation Nintendo did with this one.

WagnerPaiva said:
menx64 said:
1) 9
2) Very often, almost everyday since I bought it.
3) Pikmin 3, wind waker HD, lego city story, MHTGU, NFS, TW101, Earthbound, little inferno, MSF, Nanoassault...

The wiiU is a fine console with great games. The gamepad is really awesome, some people love to bash nintendo for the inclusion of the gamepad, but I love it. It has a lot of potential. 2014 is going to be a great year for the wiiU.

Earthbound? The SNES game? Does it hold up today? The WiiU seems perfect for games like Civilization or Tropico, it is a shame no one does stuff like that more often.

Yes, the SNES game. I did never have the chance to play the game before, but I was aware many people loved the game back then, and word of mouth is that the game was a must SNES game, so when the game came out I decided to purchase it an I have no regrets. The game is very charming, amazing story, lovely characters and great gameplay. The game looks awesome on the gamepad as well. A must buy VC game IMO.

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Dream_While_Awake said:

RavenXtra said:

Zombi U for a legitimate survival-horror experience.

Do you need the U pro controller for the multiplayer or does the classic for Wii or Wii Remote work? Is the multiplayer any good?

I mainly played the single player, but the multiplayer was pretty fun as well. The single player only uses the GamePad, but the multiplayer does allow you to use WIi U Pro Controller, a Wii Classic Controller, or a Wii Remote with Nunchuck.

WagnerPaiva said:
hsrob said:
I'd rate it about a 6 (about a 4 for the first have of the year and an 8 for the second). The last few months has actually provided me more games than I have time to play and 2014 is looking quite promising.

You seem honest. How´s the network features? As bad as last gen or a little faster and smoother?

Thanks :)  I don't play online much purely because I don't have the time to devote to being competitive so you'll have to ask others for a more comprehensive opinion. Friend codes are thankfully gone, friending someone is easy enough, not much else to say there.

On other fronts: I love the browser functionality (e.g. youtube music vids on the TV while browsing on the Gamepad), the browser is fast and the interface is fluid. 

The E-Shop is really starting to shape up, having all games available digitally from release date is a big step up for Nintendo.  My biggest disappointment in this regard is still the Virtual console which is woefully underutilised.  There should be more games and considering it was promised so long ago we should be have been given some sign that we are going to get Gamecube games on there, at least before the next generation starts. I would much prefer if Nintendo had started the Wii U virtual console with the Wii VC games as a basis, as they were, rather than starting again from scratch and adding features.  They could then have started working on releasing newer titles with off-TV play and Mii verse features. I would kill for F-Zero GX!

Finally Miiverse, I don't use it an awful lot but it is a really nice, positive online community.  Moderation seems like it's a little over the top at times but if that is what it takes to maintain a positive community with people that have a shared love for games, then I'm all for it.

That's all I can think of for the moment, but I'm sure others can contribute their opinions as well.

p.s. overall I love the Gamepad, it is way underrated.  It doesn't have to be game-changing to be very comfortable and extremely useful (browser multi-tasking, off-screen play and taking uncecessary HUD items off the TV)