By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Predict: When will PS4 overtake WiiU? UPDATE: Overtaken February 22nd!

When will PS4 overtake WiiU?

Q1 2014 394 52.46%

Q2 2014 152 20.24%

Q3 2014 50 6.66%

October 2014 6 0.80%

November 2014 6 0.80%

December 2014 13 1.73%

2015 27 3.60%

2016 6 0.80%

2017 or Later 3 0.40%

Never 94 12.52%

Total:751
superhippy420 said:
Mummelmann said:

The key for Nintendo though and has been forever is that all of that 1st Party software is money that comes right back to them.  I'm not really sure how much Sony/Microsoft gets from 3rd Party developers in terms of a cut but the Gamecube pretty much proved that Nintendo can completly flop in terms of hardware but since all the top games are theirs, they will still turn a profit.  I cant really say the same for Sony.    The Vita is pretty much dead because no one wanted Sonys software and there was no GTA to carry the console for them.   I think its much more dangerous to rely on other companies to carry your console then to be able to develop all of your own games.

See, that's why I don't understand why Nintendo is being so adamant about dropping the price for the Wii U. The way I see it is, the more units they put on the streets, the more people will buy their software. Not to mention the fact that more people will also be buying 3rd parties software, which in return might bring more 3rd parties to develop for your console. And the funny thing is that they already tried that strategy with the 3DS and it worked like a charm so.. I just  don't get it.

Around the Network
Seece said:

Not very confident then

turned out to be a smart move for him

Q1 2014. Unless you're in denial, you know that's when it will happen, especially after Sony revealed how many have sold already. It'll be by the end of February, if not earlier. In an earlier post on a different thread I said by the end of February probably, but atleast by March. Definitely by the end of February now.

PS4 will reach 5M by january, then Wii U will be at 5,5-5,6M. So it will obviously happen in February, the day of the japan release or a week before.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Q3 2014.

Given adjustments and post-Xmas respective sales drops, I must bring forward my prediction:

Q2 2014.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
pezus said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Q3 2014.

Given adjustments and post-Xmas respective sales drops, I must bring forward my prediction:

Q2 2014.

Still too late

Don't you mean month #2?

Next DK surely won't be enough to allow Wii U to resist very long and true Ninty blockbusters will arrive too late, but PS4 shortages + having to stockpile it for Japan launch + DK boost for Wii U could still allow the latter to resist until after 31 March. Not granted, but not impossible, if Ninty wakes up and starts marketing Wii U better (well doing it worse would be really difficult  ).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

At this rate. Week ending March 15th. PS4 should be a few hundred ks above Wii U (and over 2.1 million above X1: just throwing this bit)

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

the second week after it is released in Japan.

pezus said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
pezus said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Q3 2014.

Q2 2014.

Still too late

Don't you mean month #2?

Next DK surely won't be enough to allow Wii U to resist very long and true Ninty blockbusters will arrive too late, but PS4 shortages + having to stockpile it for Japan launch + DK boost for Wii U could still allow the latter to resist until after 31 March. Not granted, but not impossible, if Ninty wakes up and starts marketing Wii U better (well doing it worse would be really difficult  ).

But the shortages still allow for at least 1m+ sales per month. WiiU would be lucky to reach 500k in January and then in Feb and March it'll get even worse. The difference right now is less than a million! This week PS4 outsold WiiU by over 150k. Then you factor in the Japan launch and I have no idea how you reach Q2!

It could happen if DK and any possible Q1 offer allow it to resist another 5 weeks. It's quite borderline, one additional factor in favour of Wii U could be Sony stockpiling PS4 for the best case scenario (PS2 level numbers) of Japan launch, to be sure it will fill as much gap as possible from Wii U there during the launch window. This would prevent the gap in the rest of the world from decreasing too much in January.
Another factor is that it would be really insane if Ninty didn't do anything to keep Wii U afloat. Wii HW sales are inexorably fading away and its SW sales will slowly but inexorably drop too, even if turning Wii U into a winner is impossible, Ninty must do everything it can to turn it into a decent competitor, at least fighting for 2nd place and giving up the 1st as late as possible.

Depends if they can keep up 1 million a month supply, they get the system together that fast, it's just the chip production that could hold it back, although yields should be improving all the time and they weren't bad to begin with.

If production is fine and they aren't holding too much stock for Japan, then the 1st/2nd vgchartz update early February, if not, then the update immediately BEFORE the japan release.

EDIT: just to let you know, at least one retailer in the UK has a pre-order wait till march of standard PS4.

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One