By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Fake insiders: ban them?

Make it against the rules?

Ban them 26 44.07%

Warn them 10 16.95%

No 15 25.42%

See results 8 13.56%

Total:59

I don't think it's necessary. First, people don't generally trust hearsay from unknown sources. Those sources have to prove themselves first before they're taken as genuine. That goes for anything, not just game development.

If Person A writes that Capcom will be announcing Onimusha U in 2014, few people are just going to take their word for it. If it turns out to be untrue, forum users will just police the forum themselves. If Person A returns to say that Valkyria Chronicles 4 will be a Microsoft exclusive, we'll all just say, "hey, what about Onimusha U?"

This stuff builds up. Liars won't be taken seriously and their lies will be remembered.

Now, if a person keeps making up rumors that prove over and over to be untrue, then I think that should count as trolling. That's in obvious cases, though, and after they've been warned.

Around the Network

No... dev cycles and reveals are so volatile that anything can happen. You might have some inside info, but 24 hors later that info can become obsolete.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I don't see the problem.

If some user claims to tell insider knowledge, and it turns out to be complete bullshit, his reputation is lost anyway. The next time he posts something similar, there'll be dozens of users pointing out that he was wrong the last time as well, so the other users will take the information with a huge grain of salt anyway.

Simply banning anything one doesn't like usually doesn't solve the real problem.

naming and shaming is also a bannable offense

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

hunter_alien said:
No... dev cycles and reveals are so volatile that anything can happen. You might have some inside info, but 24 hors later that info can become obsolete.

Yes. I stated in the op that it can't be as simple as checking when somone is right and wrong.

From my perspective as a dev though it's the hardware claims that bug me the most. I certainly don't know everything but some claims are just wrong.

Around the Network

I think false predictions are what this forum is made of and what makes it so much fun.
Claiming to be an insider is just bonus points for the good laugh afterwards.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

JoeTheBro said:
hunter_alien said:

Yes. I stated in the op that it can't be as simple as checking when somone is right and wrong.

From my perspective as a dev though it's the hardware claims that bug me the most. I certainly don't know everything but some claims are just wrong.

True, but dont forget that every hardware manufacturere makes last minute decisions (Sony, MS and Nintendo made the same this gen).

So even tough there are probably plenty of liars, who claim that they have inside info, it would be unfair towards the few that actually have, but the company changes its plans before the revelation :(

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Max King of the Wild said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Who acts like they have insider info?

I remember there was a thread a while back around VGX saying that Ni No Kuni 2 was gonna be announced for the PS4.

i think i vaguely remember someone posting Sony e3 " leaks" like a month before... needless to say they were completely wrong

I searched and searched but couldn't find those threads :(

JoeTheBro said:

I searched and searched but couldn't find those threads :(

do you know what im talking about? i think he said Sony snabbed a once ms exclusive

found it

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=155705