By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii vs PS4 Sales Thread: PS4's lead down to 379,689 units

I think people are looking to get severely disappointed if they expect the PS4 to maintain the Wii's pace for the first 2-3 years. The first year was about 16.5 million with supply constraints all the way and the second was about 24 million. And then a historically unprecedented decline set in.
The PS4 will likely follow a lot more stable sales curve with a smaller spike (or rather; spikes) but a somewhat similar yearly average total in the end, in a shorter time span though (shorter gen).

The Wii's greatest strength was also its greatest weakness; the target demographic was what enabled it to sell so insanely fast but was also, in the end, what lead to its downfall when these customers simply headed elsewhere, towards more convenient territory with a higher perceived value. It's all deeply fascinating in hindsight and is a grand show of very direct market movements and how different segments affect each other. A lot of people will tell you that "it declined because Nintendo dropped support", which is untrue twofold; they did not abandon it and the decline started long before the decreased publishing focus occurred.

The PS4 does not have a foot in this segment of the market, but it has a strong core following with no hardware gimmick to lose its zest after a couple of years, decent pricing leverage in the coming 3-4 years, terrific support and, currently, a high perceived value. Mind you; I believe that the PS4's flying start is more due to the blunders of the others rather than genius moves by Sony; they have more or less evolved the idea and concept of the PS3 and released it under a lot less hostile circumstances.

In short; the PS4 is selling on its own, permanent premises with no outlying fringe features and gimmicks to drive; it's not trying to aim at the tablet/smartphone crowd and that's a good thing; it has a lot more focus. Imagine it as a flashlight compared to a lantern; the flashlight illuminates a smaller part of the room but the light is a lot brighter. More or less. The Gamepad and Kinect are the two best helpers the PS4 could have hoped for right now, if MS drops Kinect and shifts and directs more focus towards the core market; they will ultimately become a stronger competitor and gain a more earnest and more easily conveyable identity.

In my honest opinion.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:

I think people are looking to get severely disappointed if they expect the PS4 to maintain the Wii's pace for the first 2-3 years. The first year was about 16.5 million with supply constraints all the way and the second was about 24 million. And then a historically unprecedented decline set in.
The PS4 will likely follow a lot more stable sales curve with a smaller spike (or rather; spikes) but a somewhat similar yearly average total in the end, in a shorter time span though (shorter gen).

The Wii's greatest strength was also its greatest weakness; the target demographic was what enabled it to sell so insanely fast but was also, in the end, what lead to its downfall when these customers simply headed elsewhere, towards more convenient territory with a higher perceived value. It's all deeply fascinating in hindsight and is a grand show of very direct market movements and how different segments affect each other.

The PS4 does not have a foot in this segment of the market, but it has a strong core following with no hardware gimmick to lose its zest after a couple of years, decent pricing leverage in the coming 3-4 years, terrific support and, currently, a high perceived value. Mind you; I believe that the PS4's flying start is more due to the blunders of the others rather than genius moves by Sony; they have more or less evolved the idea and concept of the PS3 and released it under a lot less hostile circumstances.

In short; the PS4 is selling on its own, permanent premises with no outlying fringe features and gimmicks to drive; it's not trying to aim at the tablet/smartphone crowd and that's a good thing; it has a lot more focus. Imagine it as a flashlight compared to a lantern; the flashlight illuminates a smaller part of the room but the light is a lot brighter. More or less. The Gamepad and Kinect are the two best helpers the PS4 could have hoped for right now, if MS drops Kinect and shifts and directs more focus towards the core market; they will ultimately become a stronger competitor and gain a more earnest and more easily conveyable identity.

In my honest opinion.

Yeah! Gimme dat plus 1 button!

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Somini said:

PS4 is certainly undertracked. Supply has been really tight, but there has been shipments coming in here and there, yet you don't see that on VGC at all.

It's like we're tacking a system that acts the normal way a new system fully supplied would, lol!!

Rather than deny a tracking websites numbers, since they don't favor your particular system of choice, why not make your own website to track the numbers? Seems to me that some people here are always claiming two things, Sony is always under tracked, and everything else is over tracked.  If you have more hard evidence to prove the "under tracking" then post it. Otherwise, you should keep your opinions of this sites numbers to yourself, since you disagree with them. You are on a tracking website, after all. I'll trust their numbers before yours, no offence...

Should put PS1 and PS2 in as well if the data exists as the winner of there gens and xbox 1 as a contender for this.

Justagamer said:
Somini said:

PS4 is certainly undertracked. Supply has been really tight, but there has been shipments coming in here and there, yet you don't see that on VGC at all.

It's like we're tacking a system that acts the normal way a new system fully supplied would, lol!!

Rather than deny a tracking websites numbers, since they don't favor your particular system of choice, why not make your own website to track the numbers? Seems to me that some people here are always claiming two things, Sony is always under tracked, and everything else is over tracked.  If you have more hard evidence to prove the "under tracking" then post it. Otherwise, you should keep your opinions of this sites numbers to yourself, since you disagree with them. You are on a tracking website, after all. I'll trust their numbers before yours, no offence...

I'm sure you didn't mean to offend, i mean look how nicely you've worded everything.

I never said i don't trust the website so keep your assumptions to yourself. We're on a forum and discussing stuff with everyone's opinion in the mix. You want a discussion facts only go attend a scientific seminar. I'll keep posting my opinion thank you very much and don't go likening me someone who's only on board when the situation fits my view, that may be your thing, but certainly.

All in your comment couldn't be fuller of assumptions. Thank you for contributing nothing but flaming/jabs to the topic.

Around the Network
Somini said:
Justagamer said:
Somini said:

I'm sure you didn't mean to offend, look how nicely you've worded everything.

I never said i don't trust the website so keep your assumptions to yourself. We're on a forum and discussing stuff with everyone's opinion in the mix. You want a discussion of facts, go attend a scientific seminar. I'll keep posting my opinion thank you very much and don't go likening me with someone who's only on board when the situation fits their view, that may be your thing, but certainly not mine.

All in all, your comment couldn't be more full of assumptions. Thank you for contributing nothing but flaming/jabs to the topic.

Actually, his statement was quite factual. A fair majority of Sony fans on this site do cry undertracked constantly (Sony consoels) and overtracked (Nintendo, MS). It may have been an assumption in regards to your character but your post painted you in the same light as the other users who make constant statements like that. You are right in regards to opinions. You have a right to post whatever nonesense you like. It's a free forum (minus flaming/trolling/name calling).

P.S Your welcome for fixing your comment (@ Bolded)

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Somini said:
Justagamer said:
Somini said:

I'm sure you didn't mean to offend, i mean look how nicely you've worded everything.

I never said i don't trust the website so keep your assumptions to yourself. We're on a forum and discussing stuff with everyone's opinion in the mix. You want a discussion facts only go attend a scientific seminar. I'll keep posting my opinion thank you very much and don't go likening me someone who's only on board when the situation fits my view, that may be your thing, but certainly.

All in your comment couldn't be fuller of assumptions. Thank you for contributing nothing but flaming/jabs to the topic.

I'm not talking of opinions in general, you are basically saying this sites numbers are wrong. All I'm saying is, posting your opinion on a tracking websites numbers, in your case, against those numbers, is an opinion that has no backing in fact. Vgc isn't perfect, but, their numbers are more based on factual evidence than your gut feeling is. Why argue over a tracking websites numbers when you have no ground to do so? They do a lot of footwork to come up to these numbers, actual work, you are just "saying" you think they're wrong.... But on what grounds? You have none. And seriously, I meant no offence, just saying what I'm seeing, I'm sorry if I offended you, not my intent. 

This is a fact that VGC undertracks PS4, not an opinion, we saw that when they forgot 200k in december.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Wii's North American numbers were 1.49 million at this point in it's life vs PS4 at 2.46 million, and Wii's Europe numbers at this point were 985k vs PS4's current 1.91 million.

Supply was an issue, but man, the PS4 is tracking miles ahead of the Wii in the west, it can't last for that much longer.

I wanted to do a thread about which will have the better first full year sales between the Wii and the PS4 but I guess my work is already done. Thanks Anthony.

For the record, I believe the Wii will have the better first year.

Signature goes here!