By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii vs PS4 Sales Thread: PS4's lead down to 379,689 units

So what are your opinions on when the Wii will catch up? Surely you don't think that the PS4 will keep leading until the holidays.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Ljink96 said:
Console gaming is on the decline.

Only in Japan.

Do you expext this gen to outsell the last?

Do you think that there will be a year any time soon where dedicated gaming devices total will sell more than any year in the rand og 2007 to 2010?

Looking by generations does show growth but past groth is no proof it will continue and looking at sales over the last 6 years vs the rise of smartphones and tablets the 7th gen is very likely to be the peak world wide

Justagamer said:
Somini said:

PS4 is certainly undertracked. Supply has been really tight, but there has been shipments coming in here and there, yet you don't see that on VGC at all.

It's like we're tacking a system that acts the normal way a new system fully supplied would, lol!!

Rather than deny a tracking websites numbers, since they don't favor your particular system of choice, why not make your own website to track the numbers? Seems to me that some people here are always claiming two things, Sony is always under tracked, and everything else is over tracked.  If you have more hard evidence to prove the "under tracking" then post it. Otherwise, you should keep your opinions of this sites numbers to yourself, since you disagree with them. You are on a tracking website, after all. I'll trust their numbers before yours, no offence...

What kind of a response is that? If you don't agree with the tracking then you should make your own website? By that logic nobody will ever be allowed to criticize anything. If you don't like discussion then you're clearly on the wrong website. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Wonktonodi said:
Shadow1980 said:
Ljink96 said:

Only in Japan.

Do you think that there will be a year any time soon where dedicated gaming devices total will sell more than any year in the rand og 2007 to 2010?

Looking by generations does show growth but past groth is no proof it will continue and looking at sales over the last 6 years vs the rise of smartphones and tablets the 7th gen is very likely to be the peak world wide

This gen will not outsell the last one but it:s because of wii u ,ps4 will surely outsell the ps3 and xbox one i don:t know maybe it will sold less then xbox360 or maybe similar.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Fusioncode said:
Justagamer said:
Somini said:

PS4 is certainly undertracked. Supply has been really tight, but there has been shipments coming in here and there, yet you don't see that on VGC at all.

It's like we're tacking a system that acts the normal way a new system fully supplied would, lol!!

Rather than deny a tracking websites numbers, since they don't favor your particular system of choice, why not make your own website to track the numbers? Seems to me that some people here are always claiming two things, Sony is always under tracked, and everything else is over tracked.  If you have more hard evidence to prove the "under tracking" then post it. Otherwise, you should keep your opinions of this sites numbers to yourself, since you disagree with them. You are on a tracking website, after all. I'll trust their numbers before yours, no offence...

What kind of a response is that? If you don't agree with the tracking then you should make your own website? By that logic nobody will ever be allowed to criticize anything. If you don't like discussion then you're clearly on the wrong website. 

It's a response to the same people who seem to always use the same old song and dance, Sony is seemingly always under tracked, everything else is over tracked. It's not a criticism, it's the same thing as always: the ps something is always under tracked. When someone says an Xbox is under tracked, the same group of people come in and say how the numbers are good.....  So I'm just saying, the numbers are good, and after all the released info from Sony/ ms/ Nintendo, guess what? I think the numbers are good.

It's nothing to get upset about, it's an honest remark, if anyone thinks they can do better, start a website! My argument is, ioi puts in a lot of groundwork for his numbers, and it's the best guess out there, due to his actual work that went into it. Every one else is using "gut" feelings to question his numbers.....

I find it ludicrous to challenge the numbers of one, that were attained through an actual formula and work,  with a "gut" feeling. So honestly, if ones "gut" can come up with more accurate numbers, then why not start your own website?  Because it's fine to not agree with the numbers, but on what grounds? A "gut"? That's ridiculous. 

Around the Network

My adjustments sheets since 2012 proves the Sony consoles are usually more undertracked than the others consoles.

Wonktonodi said:
Shadow1980 said:
Ljink96 said:

Only in Japan.

Wow, I never really knew how massive the US market is! I think this gen is going to have a tough time beating the last gen, only because of the wii. Between wii/ps360 there's around 265 million consoles(wow!), and the wii I think, pads that. So without a wii type of phenomenon this gen, I think the ps4/x1 will split somewhere around 180 million. Ps4 probably getting the lions share. I think ps4 will get around 100-120, and the x1 60-80 mil. Plus whatever the wiiu sells... So maybe more like 200 million worldwide this gen between the 3.

ethomaz said:
My adjustments sheets since 2012 proves the Sony consoles are usually more undertracked than the others consoles.

That may be so, but that may hold true for another console in a different time frame. Doesn't make it a fact this time. Just seems to me that one group of people are always saying the same things. Awe, what the hell. I give up, you win. You're right.... But strangely, it doesn't alter my enjoyment of any of my machines, but it certainly seems to effect others enjoyment of theirs. If playstation, or Xbox "winning" makes them enjoy their machine more, then go for it, I say! I think they're both under tracked! By at least 100 million each!😜... I am being sarcastic btw... What's the thing? /S  ...?

and you keep adjustment sheets?.... You take this stuff way too seriously....

According to Nitendo, Wii U had sold 5.9 millions by the end of 2013.

Here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57617980-235/nintendos-wii-u-sales-down-revenue-disappoints/

"bringing its grand total to 5.9 million worldwide."

So, we're in February and why the heck Vgchartz numbers are still showing 5.6 million?

What's wrong with this website when they can't even update their data based on official numbers?

My Youtube channel in broken English: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW_sx27Sp5K6jfyA0vR0ofg

Mummelmann said:

I think people are looking to get severely disappointed if they expect the PS4 to maintain the Wii's pace for the first 2-3 years. The first year was about 16.5 million with supply constraints all the way and the second was about 24 million. And then a historically unprecedented decline set in.
The PS4 will likely follow a lot more stable sales curve with a smaller spike (or rather; spikes) but a somewhat similar yearly average total in the end, in a shorter time span though (shorter gen).

The Wii's greatest strength was also its greatest weakness; the target demographic was what enabled it to sell so insanely fast but was also, in the end, what lead to its downfall when these customers simply headed elsewhere, towards more convenient territory with a higher perceived value. It's all deeply fascinating in hindsight and is a grand show of very direct market movements and how different segments affect each other. A lot of people will tell you that "it declined because Nintendo dropped support", which is untrue twofold; they did not abandon it and the decline started long before the decreased publishing focus occurred.

The PS4 does not have a foot in this segment of the market, but it has a strong core following with no hardware gimmick to lose its zest after a couple of years, decent pricing leverage in the coming 3-4 years, terrific support and, currently, a high perceived value. Mind you; I believe that the PS4's flying start is more due to the blunders of the others rather than genius moves by Sony; they have more or less evolved the idea and concept of the PS3 and released it under a lot less hostile circumstances.

In short; the PS4 is selling on its own, permanent premises with no outlying fringe features and gimmicks to drive; it's not trying to aim at the tablet/smartphone crowd and that's a good thing; it has a lot more focus. Imagine it as a flashlight compared to a lantern; the flashlight illuminates a smaller part of the room but the light is a lot brighter. More or less. The Gamepad and Kinect are the two best helpers the PS4 could have hoped for right now, if MS drops Kinect and shifts and directs more focus towards the core market; they will ultimately become a stronger competitor and gain a more earnest and more easily conveyable identity.

In my honest opinion.

So you don't think that ps4 can do either of these things? despite the ps2 having all but done it (IIRC ps2's first year sales were 15 million and second 21million) so i don't think it's beyond the relms of possibility that the fastest ever selling games console can top this with the right games released at the right times (UC4 this year, GT7, GTA6 and GOW4 next year)