By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 has already outdone Wii's launch holiday by almost 500k (with 1.5 weeks to go)

Wii`s success was largely unexpected while PS4`s isn`t.
Sony anticipated the demand and prepared itself for it, Nintendo didn`t - for a long time.

Around the Network

Given that Wii U or Xone don't make some sort of comeback, we should see it keep pace with the Wii. It will probably sell less than the Wii for the first few years, but it'll have longer legs

DélioPT said:
Wii`s success was largely unexpected while PS4`s isn`t.
Sony anticipated the demand and prepared itself for it, Nintendo didn`t - for a long time.

Still not convinced that the PS4 can do as well as the wii though, that product was definately a magnet... just dragged everyone in. I had never purchased a nintendo product until the Wii, and I got it day 1. Though I think the Ps4 is riding the wave of such a long cycle this time, so I think it will do well, but would expect sales to start going below the wii easily by april. Though I expect the Ps4 to have much longer legs (and support) than the wii and will pass 100m.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

PS4 doesn't have the same mania that wii had. This will calm down soon, and it may even slow down a lot. PS4 is gonna have to prove itself with must have games before we see any kind of sustained huge sales. This will probably happen eventually and sales will pick up a lot late next year or the year after.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

rccsetzer said:

But it have relatively low price with super graphics. And don't forget that trends  are always changing. What was true one year ago isn't assured to be once again.

Games sell systems though. PS4 will do awesome in the long-run, eventually outselling Wii but super graphics won't be enough to outsell the Wii in the first few years.

Orlik666 said:

Now CoD and BF4 are popular games that casual gamers are playing.

Look at the poor sales of Wii Party U.

Sony don't need games like "Wii Sports" to be attractive to casual market.  They need multiplayer games. 

Wii Party U is selling poorly because the casuals left the Wii brand for the most part. That has nothing to do with the PS4 though.

The PS brand has always been attractive to the casual market, that's the only way to get 80 Million+ sales every time. I'm just saying that it'll likely not be as rapid as the Wii. 

Around the Network

PS4 is such a cazual console lolz.. True hardcore gamers play on Nintendo hardware ;)

pezus said:
johnsobas said:
PS4 doesn't have the same mania that wii had. This will calm down soon, and it may even slow down a lot. PS4 is gonna have to prove itself with must have games before we see any kind of sustained huge sales. This will probably happen eventually and sales will pick up a lot late next year or the year after.

Based on what? It's selling out instantly everywhere AND has sold more than Wii did. Did you miss the mania around the launch in Europe? 

Sales don't need to pick up. They're already epically high.

Do I really need to explain this?  Everyone and their grandma wanted a wii, it was based on wii sports and the wiimote.  It was based on people's experiences with playing the wii and word of mouth.  It was new and exciting, and everyone wanted it, it was sold out for nearly 2 years in many places only meeting demand for a short time.  PS4 doesn't have that, it's gonna be more of a slower burn, will probably last quite a bit longer.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Congrats to PS4 for doing so well since i havent been able to say that over the last two updates :) (also congrats to XBO and WiiU)

Now i do want to move on to the threads ive viewed in the last few days where there has been a little bit of e-penis slinging that i could only explain as excessive sword fighting ;)

I know very few people is going to change because of this post but I do believe if you ask most people they will say the PS4 is going to win the Plastic box battle.

Now if you ask them which one they enjoy the most that will be a different answer. See some people like PS4, some like XBO, some like WiiU, and some dont give a shit. What matters is if youre enjoying your console(s). And these numbers while are cool is not going to change that fun factor for you. All the gloating is kind of repetitive and i think Nintendo and Xbox fans get it. PS4 is going to sell amazing yeah. now play it and enjoy it rather than gloating every chance you get.  

Sorry if you think this post is only aimed at you as it isnt, this is more aimed at all of VGC so dont worry.  You know i like you pezus :)

pezus said:
Roma said:

ah sorry missed Fifa in Europe.. wait wtf a fucking football game?

What's wrong with that? 

Can you feel the irony?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Congrats on being able to produce so many PS4s Sony.

Not really a meaningful comparison this. Wii would have been insane at launch if Nintendo could make them quick enough.

The real comparison would be a 12 Month comparison for each market.