By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 starts dominating - outsells WiiU and X1 combined (Read OP, please)

fedfed said:
Is PS4 total a typo or really sold 100k+ in rest of the world?

It's no typo, that's right. Remember the PS4 has been officially launched in a lot of countries now that are not covered by the "North America", "Europe", "Japan" categories, namely; Saudi-Arabia, Brazil, South Africa, Hong Kong, South Korea, Singapore, Malasia, Taiwan, Australia, and New Zealand. That's 10 countries. If they sold only 10,000 units in each country they could easily meet 100k. In fact, I'd wager they'd probably have sold more, maybe even 200k+ if there wasn't availability issues as these are densely populated countries.

On Monday they launch in India and I'm predicting 75k sales in the first week minimum, I won't be shocked if it manages triple figures. Whilst the general population may be more limited financially than most western countries, their economy is booming so there are plenty of people who can afford and want a PS4 in the major cities. After all there's over 1.2 BILLION people in India, that's 4 times as many people as USA. Even if only a quarter can afford it, that's a larger potential market than North America.

Around the Network

I hope I'm not the only one that thinks that 8th gen has some chances of becoming bigger than 7th, thanks to the fact that its PC architecture could allow it with price drops to eventually meet the growing income of middle classes in emerging markets.
7th gen had one exceptional launch and first year, Wii and two botched ones, PS3 and XB360, 8th gen has got up until now one good but not impressive launch followed by a botched first year, Wii U, one exceptional launch, PS4 and one very good launch, XBOne: we must still see the first year of teh "New HD Twins", but up until now we can say 8th gen is initially doing better than 7th for home consoles.

We're talking about home consoles, 3DS has nothing to do with them, it's doing very well, but portable market is a totally different one, and the bad initial performance of PSV prevents us from telling for sure whether the portable console market is doing bad overall due to Sony errors or if it's really dying due to tablet and smartphne market being slowly but inesorably marginalizing it, or maybe just resizing it to a smaller absolute or relative size without ever making it shrink to insignificant size or disappear.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:

I hope I'm not the only one that thinks that 8th gen has some chances of becoming bigger than 7th, thanks to the fact that its PC architecture could allow it with price drops to eventually meet the growing income of middle classes in emerging markets.

I'd love for that to be the case, but honestly, I don't think it will be. Whilst the consoles may become cheaper, the loss of the middle-road game will pretty much ensure that gaming gets more and more expensive. What we need are budget titles. The gaming equivalent of the direct-to-DVD film. Currently gaming falls into one of two categories:

1. Casual games, Indie games, and Mobile gaming - Average price range $10 or less.

2. "Triple A" PC/Console games - Average price range $60+ for the game, or $95-120 for the exclusive collectors edition with art book, plastic figurine, and exclusive additional level pack, oh and don't forget the $10 voucher so you can download the pre-order bonus DLC. Then there's another $30 for DLC (which is really just part of the game, removed before shipping now), if you tried to save money by buying pre-owned it'll be another $15 for an online pass just to fuck over the used games market, and most recently; add on another $20-50, possibly more, for the many in game $1.99 microtransation payments you'll need to get that Car/Super Power/Gun/Armour/Neon Pink Vibrating Cock... whatever they can sell us, they will. Oh and don't forget the official $30 strategy guide and $10 avatar and wallpaper pack.

In short, a new video game nowadays costs either $3.50 or $150+ depending on what you're buying. So that's either the price of a cup of coffee, or the price of a small villa in Rome if you're especially foolish with the microtransactions. In some respects it actually pisses me off. Why are we still calling mainstream games "Triple A", where the fuck is "Double A", "A", "B", or "C". It's stupid. "Triple A" implies a grading system. What ww need are budget games. Games with a far lower budget, released at around the $20-25 mark, (that means no more than £15 here in the UK, the games industry can bloody well learn how to do exchange rates while they're at it). It's because we don't have this vital middle ground that gaming is getting stagnant and it's the biggest hurdle for developing nations. It would be like if the only buildings we had where small tents and shacks or the Taj Mahal and the Sistine Chapel... why can't we have a nice semi-detached townhouse somewhere?

Without budget games, I forsee a the continuation of the gaming crash and more companies going the way of THQ and Atari. It won't matter how well the 8th gen consoles are selling then if there's no games on them.

TornadoCreator said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

I'd love for that to be the case, but honestly, I don't think it will be. Whilst the consoles may become cheaper, the loss of the middle-road game will pretty much ensure that gaming gets more and more expensive. What we need are budget titles. The gaming equivalent of the direct-to-DVD film. Currently gaming falls into one of two categories:

1. Casual games, Indie games, and Mobile gaming - Average price range $10 or less.

2. "Triple A" PC/Console games - Average price range $60+ for the game, or $95-120 for the exclusive collectors edition with art book, plastic figurine, and exclusive additional level pack, oh and don't forget the $10 voucher so you can download the pre-order bonus DLC. Then there's another $30 for DLC (which is really just part of the game, removed before shipping now), if you tried to save money by buying pre-owned it'll be another $15 for an online pass just to fuck over the used games market, and most recently; add on another $20-50, possibly more, for the many in game $1.99 microtransation payments you'll need to get that Car/Super Power/Gun/Armour/Neon Pink Vibrating Cock... whatever they can sell us, they will. Oh and don't forget the official $30 strategy guide and $10 avatar and wallpaper pack.

In short, a new video game nowadays costs either $3.50 or $150+ depending on what you're buying. So that's either the price of a cup of coffee, or the price of a small villa in Rome if you're especially foolish with the microtransactions. In some respects it actually pisses me off. Why are we still calling mainstream games "Triple A", where the fuck is "Double A", "A", "B", or "C". It's stupid. "Triple A" implies a grading system. What ww need are budget games. Games with a far lower budget, released at around the $20-25 mark, (that means no more than £15 here in the UK, the games industry can bloody well learn how to do exchange rates while they're at it). It's because we don't have this vital middle ground that gaming is getting stagnant and it's the biggest hurdle for developing nations. It would be like if the only buildings we had where small tents and shacks or the Taj Mahal and the Sistine Chapel... why can't we have a nice semi-detached townhouse somewhere?

Without budget games, I forsee a the continuation of the gaming crash and more companies going the way of THQ and Atari. It won't matter how well the 8th gen consoles are selling then if there's no games on them.

Good points. We can hope, though, that the lower buying power of the new middle classes will force the industry to fill that huge gap you pointed out. This could happen more easily if SW houses in the emerging countries will grow at a pace comparable to their other most thriving industries. CD Project is a good example, "triple A" quality without triple A costs, but there's much room for expansion, and India and China are several times bigger than Eastern Europe. It will be a bloodbath for SW houses with bloated costs, though, except maybe for those with huge games like CoD, but I can see Activision too having to rethink its structure and approach. The best amongst indies could play an important role in the expansion, it wouldn't be the first time.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

This thread honestly surprises me greatly. I knew PS4 was doing well, but "better than Xbone and WiiU combined"? Didn't see that. I still honestly see the PS4 and Xbone being a lot closer longterm than most are imagining. What we've got now according to VGC is 3.4 milllion to 2.4 million, which is about 70%. I figure that's about where it'll end up comparing PS4 and Xbone.

The next couple years will see the PS4 dominate, but as time goes on and the Xbox gets its heavy hitters (halo, Gears, and TitanFall), you'll see the Xbone's sales rise to almost meet and in some cases exceed the PS4's.

The WiiU is still a pretty unpredictable wild card. I honestly do think it'll pick up and do better than it is now, but at the same time I don't think it has a chance of comparing with the other two. I would be okay with PS4 having a 50% market Share, Xbone having 30%, and WiiU having 20%. That's a lot closer than the PS2's dominance over Xbox and Gamecube, which was a 77% market share vs Microsoft's 12% vs Nintendo's 11%.

So yeah, not as good as Gen 7, which was 38% for Nintendo, and 31% for both Playstation and Xbox.

Alas, I can't wait to see how this generation plays out. I just really, really hope the WiiU doesn't fail so miserably that they drop it early, or I'd have wasted money on it.

But Smash bros will redeem it.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

I think people are still thinking about nothing else but sales numbers and are thinking nothing at all about the cost of doing business and how that will affect the next generation.

They keep extrapolating past trends and pushing them forward.

Well the trend for the past generation was for both Sony and Microsoft to not make a dime on selling all that hardware, grabbing all those exclusives and pushing all those shooters and similar games forward.

That model can't be sustained in this generation. People are already feeling the costs creeping up and some of the decisions already mean the jump between generations isn't going to be as large.

Here is how I see the last half of the prior generation. Nintendo fell off the map or took a cut in profits by stopping development for the Wii and ate profits to help push the 3DS out at a price at which it could move units. Sony basically decided to forgo profits by eating them to help move PS3's and get themselves into something other than third place for the generation. I'm pretty sure offering all the older games through PS+ hasn't quite lost them money but hasn't made them money either. Microsoft has continued to bleed money.

Now we are at the beginning of this generation and Nintendo has picked a point where they don't bleed money but don't really make much either. Sony declared their first profit in five years earlier this year but warned that the cost of getting the PS4 out would hurt them. Microsoft again continues to bleed money from Xbox but covers it with other areas.

Others have noted how games are desperate to dive above the $60 mark with exclusive content, microtransactions, DLC, etc. PS+ isn't offering several older used games a month for PS4 because they don't exist yet. Several releases so far have been been better than the prior generation graphically but not any better in terms of actual game play.

However it feels like a massive wall of losses is just waiting out there and on top of it, the prior generation is still working just fine for most while getting cheaper every day.

pezus said:
J_Allard said:
pezus said:

Come again? I hope you can help.

To be honest I have no idea which part of that is confusing you but I will try to help.

See there is this holiday in late December called Christmas. People celebrate it by giving gifts to one another. One of the hot Christmas items this year was a PS4. There are websites where you can auction off items, like Ebay.com, and websites where you can list items for people to buy from you, like craigslist.com. Using these sites, you could sell any of these hot Christmas items and people would not only buy them quickly, but pay over the MSRP. This is due to something called "supply and demand". You see, when the demand outweighs the supply by a large margin and the products are hard to find, it makes people desperate to get them. Combine that with the Christmas element and hot dog you had an easy way to make a quick buck!

But these sales I made were pre-Christmas. It's now after Christmas, I see auctions and CL postings in my area for a lot less money than I saw before the 25th. Hell, even my last PS4 sale only got me 33% of the over the MSRP amount I'd made on the other two sales. The amount of people wanting the console has simply shrunk down by a large margin. It's not a knock against the PS4, not only is it only natural (due to this Christmas thing I was explaining earlier, please tell me if you need more help), but the Xbox One went through the same thing.

I doubt I would even be able to resell a PS4 now for the $500 I sold my last one for (which is still nearly $200 profit for me), but of course I would buy another one because even at MSRP + taxes amount I am making a cool $100 or so.

I hope that helped.

I don't know about you, but when someone uses the word "die" I imagine a dead old person.  And thus, when you here clearly state that demand is still really high, it confuses the feeble minded.

Well when you're taking one part of one word (die) of one phrase (died down) and taking it completely out of context, plus adding your own spin (Deming really high), it's no wonder you're confused. 

Just because the PS4 isn't selling for $500-600 doesn't mean it's not in demand. People are being smarter with their money than they were at the start of last gen. There was a crash, the economy still hasn't recovered. The fact is that the PS4 is still sold out everywhere I've gone. That is enough evidence for me to know that the system is still heavily in demand.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

okay so the xbox one is in stock everywhere right now.....

at least in the U.S.. does not bode well on demand

mM
pezus said:
thismeintiel said:
JoeTheBro said:

The meetings are pretty selective. We haven't invited thismeintiel yet.

Is it sad I'm not joking?

Oh, so now you guys are having meetings behind my back.  You guys are a bunch of big doo doo head jerks. 

It's called the Playstation Nation: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=156117&page=1#

I started going to that thread, but THAT THREAD'S BECOME TOO DAMN LONG!!