By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 starts dominating - outsells WiiU and X1 combined (Read OP, please)

my fear is that console gaming will fall apart because apple made it okay to re release hardware with sight CPU/GPU revisions every year.. and sell millions upon millions of those same units, so sony and microsoft might attempt to release a new console every 2-3 years as opposed to 4-6 years..

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:
my fear is that console gaming will fall apart because apple made it okay to re release hardware with sight CPU/GPU revisions every year.. and sell millions upon millions of those same units, so sony and microsoft might attempt to release a new console every 2-3 years as opposed to 4-6 years..

They won't. I don't know if I have to make some idiotic prediction or declaration here, but they won't. We'll see what we've seen in the past: revised hardware that is cheaper to manufacture, more profitable and with a lower MSRP for consumers, but with the same basic functions, playing the same games.

I'm sure we'll see constantly revised versions of the Steambox, for those who buy one premade, but it's more of a console experience on PC hardware powered by a proprietary version of Linux. 

Apple hardware, be it iOS iPhone or iOS iPad (they are different) or OSX is not a "gaming console." So complaining about hardware revisions and finding that your 4 year old iPhone can't run iOS 7 or your 5 year old iMac can't run OS 10.9 is the same thing as complaining about Moore's Law, the speed of tech development and why do computers have to keep getting faster and more powerful?

leo-j said:
dahuman said:

Color me not surprised, PS4 is cheaper, smoother, smaller, and more powerful than it's weaker 500 dollar MS competitor and has quiet a lot more graphical potential than the Wii U at 100 dollars more, my problem is never with the hardware however, but the requirement to pay to play online really turns me off to the PS4 now. Will make final decision when I see TLoU2 reviews of course.

yet I still have friends saying xbox one is better..

How can you prove them wrong?

Scoobes said:
StarAleta said:

i have yet to see a tablet that can put out anything close to what the wii u can...i'm sure those will eventually come as tablets get stronger but we are a ways away from that.  Although now that the wii u tablet has been hacked i guess you can expect to see all kinds of PC games streamed to it :)

I would have to double check but i believe the reason the wii u is backwards compatible is it just happens to have a wii on a single chip....so Nintendo could opt to not include it and save some money....it has nothing to do with the Wii U's capabilities.  The wii u has a completely different architecture.

The original wii however was much closer to the gamecube as it was basically one but with better speeds all around.

I don't think we're as far as you may think considering these devices have yearly updates. Games like Dead Trigger, Dark Meadow, Infinity Blade and Real Racing 3 are already getting close to console quality on the small screen.

Dead Trigger:

Real Racing 3:

Dark Meadow:

Infinity Blade II:

i'll have to check those out on my galaxy note 10.1...they look nice but i dont think they are quite there (the screenshots you show make them look nice though).  Some games are also better with buttons as opposed to buttons on a gamescreen.  One of the reasons the wii u gamepad is so bulky is the buttons and the touchscreen together like that....but its also what makes it as good as it is.

edit: Ok so i did a bit of searching and the only game out of these 4 i could play is Dead Trigger but i have no idea how it would look....and this is with  a tablet that cost me 500.00 last year so it isn't that old (although i'm sure it isn't the quickess processor for its price range...i picked it because of the pen)

When i go to the android app store it says real racing 3 and dark meadow is not compatible with my device.

I can't find Infinity Blade on Android.  This means to play most of these i would have to spend more than the cost of a wii u (Wii U was on sale last week for 199.99). 

leo-j said:
dahuman said:

Color me not surprised, PS4 is cheaper, smoother, smaller, and more powerful than it's weaker 500 dollar MS competitor and has quiet a lot more graphical potential than the Wii U at 100 dollars more, my problem is never with the hardware however, but the requirement to pay to play online really turns me off to the PS4 now. Will make final decision when I see TLoU2 reviews of course.

Are they American? 

do they not on PS4's?  

There are only two things the Xbox One has over the PS4 right now, and both are either extremely "taste" oriented or uninteresting to the core gamer.  Xbox One has Kinect, which vastly improves potential, but the last four years have shown that it almost certainly will be underwhelming or just plain uninteresting, and the Xbox One has more/better launch titles, which means nothing to many because everyone knows that a console is a long term investment, not a short term impulse buy.  If you're buying an Xbox because you think Dead Rising is better than Killzone, then you're an idiot.  If you think Dead Rising is better than Killzone, you're probably right, but if you're buying a game system because its launch titles are marginally better than the competition, you're very shortsighted. 

The last three generations have shown that Sony knows how to keep interest in a system high, long after the others have died off.  PS3 had a terrible start but ended up with the best games lineup, and is the only system still getting regular quality releases right up till the PS4's launch.  

I trust the PS4 WILL have a better library than the Xbox One.  Even if the PS4 was weaker and more expensive, I'd still go with it based on the last 19 years in Sony's history.  You CAN make a decision based on that much time on the market. 

And don't mistake this as blind fanboy ranting.  I want an Xbox and feel no ill will towards the system, it's just not an appealing choice to me right now.  PS4, as I said, is cheaper, stronger, and I'm almost certain will have better games, plus it doesn't have Kinect and I can easily trade out my hard drive for a 1 or 2 terabyte.  Thing is, I don't like Kinect at all, so I don't want to pay an additional 100 bucks for it, all reports are leading to multiplats being better on PS4, and I don't much care for Microsoft's Exclusive titles.  I Want One, but I want an excuse to get One first. 

There's a damn good reason why PS4 is selling better than WiiU and Xbone. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
TheSting said:
leo-j said:
dahuman said:

Stealing their rose-tinted glasses?   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Dec 21st sales are actually...

PS4: 655,970
XB1: 357,303
Wii U: 319,860

ALMOST double but not quite.

leo-j said:

Apple make billions on hardware. You can't make money on hardware in the gaming industry. So no, two markets with entirely different dynamics.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
TheSting said:
leo-j said:
dahuman said:

Stealing their rose-tinted glasses?   

And replacing them with his?