By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 starts dominating - outsells WiiU and X1 combined (Read OP, please)

el_gallo said:
dahuman said:

Color me not surprised, PS4 is cheaper, smoother, smaller, and more powerful than it's weaker 500 dollar MS competitor and has quiet a lot more graphical potential than the Wii U at 100 dollars more, my problem is never with the hardware however, but the requirement to pay to play online really turns me off to the PS4 now. Will make final decision when I see TLoU2 reviews of course.

Don't forget to throw a game in there unless you are going to play a game called 1080P blank screen. Also don't forget to add $50 if you want to play online.

Also don't forget there is a $250 Wii U bundle that again, includes free online and a free game.

So reality is you are talking $250 vs $460 or even more. That is significant. It is almost double the price and is actually double if you plan to play online.

Price is not the only thing that matters, if it were we would be buying old consoles...gamecube was cheaper too. wii-u has almost no big third party games in 2014, PS4 does...The sales tell the story.

Around the Network
Iamdamilkman said:
Runa216 said:
This thread honestly surprises me greatly. I knew PS4 was doing well, but "better than Xbone and WiiU combined"? Didn't see that. I still honestly see the PS4 and Xbone being a lot closer longterm than most are imagining. What we've got now according to VGC is 3.4 milllion to 2.4 million, which is about 70%. I figure that's about where it'll end up comparing PS4 and Xbone.

The next couple years will see the PS4 dominate, but as time goes on and the Xbox gets its heavy hitters (halo, Gears, and TitanFall), you'll see the Xbone's sales rise to almost meet and in some cases exceed the PS4's.

The WiiU is still a pretty unpredictable wild card. I honestly do think it'll pick up and do better than it is now, but at the same time I don't think it has a chance of comparing with the other two. I would be okay with PS4 having a 50% market Share, Xbone having 30%, and WiiU having 20%. That's a lot closer than the PS2's dominance over Xbox and Gamecube, which was a 77% market share vs Microsoft's 12% vs Nintendo's 11%.

So yeah, not as good as Gen 7, which was 38% for Nintendo, and 31% for both Playstation and Xbox.

Alas, I can't wait to see how this generation plays out. I just really, really hope the WiiU doesn't fail so miserably that they drop it early, or I'd have wasted money on it.

But Smash bros will redeem it.

How do you expect x1 sales rise above ps4?? Ps4 will have plenty of heavy hitters as well, works both ways..360 has not otusold ps3 ijn years despite being more expensive, sorry do not see it. 360 had every advantage, and still couldnt do it, x1 surely won't. 

I didn't say that. I said that, in some cases, the Xbox could match or exceed PS4's sales.  As in, there will be weeks and situations where the Xbox does better.  I said very clearly that I Felt the current ratio (Xbox is doing about 70% the business PS4 is doing) is about where it'll end up, which is pretty damn good.  

And to the others, I'm not saying Sony doesn't have heavy hitters or awesome features, I'm just saying that once it's all on the table, the two systems will not be as far apart as many predict.  

That said, I'm still leaning more towards the PS4.  I have a PS4 and WiiU both set up here, and I have absolutely no desire to get an Xbox One, but I still hope it does well, I hope its price drops, I hope it releases awesome games, and I hope they never bring back DRM.  In its current state, I see NO reason to get One.  I hope that changes, and I'm quite confident it will. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Iamdamilkman said:
Runa216 said:
This thread honestly surprises me greatly. I knew PS4 was doing well, but "better than Xbone and WiiU combined"? Didn't see that. I still honestly see the PS4 and Xbone being a lot closer longterm than most are imagining. What we've got now according to VGC is 3.4 milllion to 2.4 million, which is about 70%. I figure that's about where it'll end up comparing PS4 and Xbone.

The next couple years will see the PS4 dominate, but as time goes on and the Xbox gets its heavy hitters (halo, Gears, and TitanFall), you'll see the Xbone's sales rise to almost meet and in some cases exceed the PS4's.

The WiiU is still a pretty unpredictable wild card. I honestly do think it'll pick up and do better than it is now, but at the same time I don't think it has a chance of comparing with the other two. I would be okay with PS4 having a 50% market Share, Xbone having 30%, and WiiU having 20%. That's a lot closer than the PS2's dominance over Xbox and Gamecube, which was a 77% market share vs Microsoft's 12% vs Nintendo's 11%.

So yeah, not as good as Gen 7, which was 38% for Nintendo, and 31% for both Playstation and Xbox.

Alas, I can't wait to see how this generation plays out. I just really, really hope the WiiU doesn't fail so miserably that they drop it early, or I'd have wasted money on it.

But Smash bros will redeem it.

How do you expect x1 sales rise above ps4?? Ps4 will have plenty of heavy hitters as well, works both ways..360 has not otusold ps3 ijn years despite being more expensive, sorry do not see it. 360 had every advantage, and still couldnt do it, x1 surely won't. 

I didn't say that. I said that, in some cases, the Xbox could match or exceed PS4's sales.  As in, there will be weeks and situations where the Xbox does better.  I said very clearly that I Felt the current ratio (Xbox is doing about 70% the business PS4 is doing) is about where it'll end up, which is pretty damn good.  

And to the others, I'm not saying Sony doesn't have heavy hitters or awesome features, I'm just saying that once it's all on the table, the two systems will not be as far apart as many predict.  

That said, I'm still leaning more towards the PS4.  I have a PS4 and WiiU both set up here, and I have absolutely no desire to get an Xbox One, but I still hope it does well, I hope its price drops, I hope it releases awesome games, and I hope they never bring back DRM.  In its current state, I see NO reason to get One.  I hope that changes, and I'm quite confident it will. 

Well xbone is only doing 70% the business ps4 is doing because ps4's stock arent meeting demand I would see it be more like 40-50% one ps4 stock starts meeting demand. euro doesn't care much for xbone and japan and asia will just increase the gaps BIG TIME.

thismeintiel said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

I hope I'm not the only one that thinks that 8th gen has some chances of becoming bigger than 7th, thanks to the fact that its PC architecture could allow it with price drops to eventually meet the growing income of middle classes in emerging markets.
[...]

I don't see it expanding.  Most likely it will shrink below Gen 7, but higher than Gen 6 numbers.  Reason being that a lot of the audience that the Wii attracted, the casuals, have left the market.  The core gamers chose the 360 and PS3 (with many being multi-console owners), with some going for the Wii (mostly Nintendo fans).  The casuals leaving the market can be illustrated in the poor performance of the Wii U.  It's the cheapest, like the Wii.  It has a "gimmicky" controller, like the Wii U.  And it has more games that appeal to the casual crowd, like the Wii. 

Now, moving onto the core.  I think that the noticeable decline in Xbox One demand so close to launch means that most are going to go with the PS4 this gen, seeing as MS has lost all the advatages it had last gen.  They launched within weeks of each other, not a year or more earlier, like the 360.  The One isn't $200 cheaper than the PS4, like the 360, it is now $100 more expensive.  And while the 360 was slightly less powerful than the PS3, it really only showed in exclusives and barely in a few multiplats.  This time around, there is a very noticable difference in the power of each machine, probably the largest seen between the 1st and 2nd most powerful consoles in a gen.  A difference that will only become more noticeable in the coming years.

In the end, I see PS4 ending somewhere between the PS1 and PS2 (~115M-120M.)  The One somewhere between Xbox and 360 (50M-55M.)  And the Wii U doing slightly above N64 (35M-40M.)

I'm not sure about 8th gen becoming bigger, I think it has some chances as PC architecture could allow PS4 and XBOne to eventually meet, after price drops, the growing buying power of middle classes in emerging countries. IF this will happen there will be chances, I don't think it's granted, just possible. BTW TornadoCreator answering this same post of mine as you did, correctly pointed out the huge problem of the absence of a mid priced games category between dirt cheap casual games on tablets, phones and PCs and expensive triple A ones, this will have to be solved, otherwise consoles will have little hope of growing in emerging markets, as there wouldn't be an adequately priced SW offer to match the affordable HW. In the end, it COULD happen IF at least these two conditions will be met.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Handhelds are a different market than the home console market...it's called the handheld market...

Anyhoo, I hope PS4 continues to do well, makes my investment in it all the better.  With greater sales comes greater developer support.

Around the Network
globalisateur said:
TornadoCreator said:

Summary:

The PS4 will win the generation, with strong sales across the board. It will have market dominance in Europe, Australia, and India and a strong ~40% market share in Japan. In USA it'll be close second, but with enough third party support that it may overtake Xbox One by the end of the eighth generation.

The Xbox One will have a strong following in USA and will remain the de-facto home for FPS gamers with Halo, Titanfall, and even Call Of Duty/Battlefield/Destiny (despite being multiplat), because of Xbox Live. Outside of the North American market it will be a distant third place, particularly in Japan where it will likely be discontinued by 2018. Microsoft is however the most likely company to move some of it's production to Brazil given Sony's financial situation, so may claim the Latin American market. If so, the Xbox One may still be a success.

Wii U will sell well in Japan, likely having the largest market share, and will have a decent following in Europe as the default second place. Globally however it will be the third place console, with poor sales in North America, no movement into additional markets, and a lack of third party support. It will likely be perceived in a similar vein to the Gamecube, however 3DS sales, and strong first party software will ensure that Nintendo remain profitable, although there is a risk that many, perfectly decent Wii U games will be denied localisation outside of Japan.

This generation will be a battle for second place between the Xbox One and the Wii U.

Let me know what you think of my analysis and opinion, if you agree or disagree and why. I'm no industry expert so my opinions are subject to change if people have information I've not considered.

You may be wrong here. Because the multiplat shooters are already selling better in USA on PS4, slightly better for COD, but still better, and easily better for BF4.

I expect that Destiny will sell a lot better on PS4 than X1 like BF4. The probable resolution/performance difference between the 2 version and the great DS4 controller will also help that.

And also PS4 hardware is already winning easily while being sold out everywhere in USA so how do you think that PS4 will be close second? Maybe when Titanfall is released, ok.

X1 may win back some gamers with Halo 5 and Titanfall 1 I admit, when they are released, helping the X1 to be head to head with PS4 on USA. Until Titanfall 2 is out on PS4 of course.

I just think that there's enough of a following surrounding Xbox Live, the gamerscore, achievements and the like for the hardcore Xbox 360 crowd to migrate to PS4. It's possible sure, and PS4 is selling better at the moment, but once Halo, Titanfall, and a new Gears Of War game hit, the Xbots will all move over. There is a shockingly large number of gamers out there who play Fifa/Madden (depending on country), Call Of Duty, Halo, and pretty much nothing else. They may very occationally pick up something like GTA V, but that's rare. For these gamers, the apparently more reliable servers and better service for online gaming that Xbox Live offers over PSN is a big draw. Now granted, I don't play online, so this is all based on prevailing attitudes, but I think the online system might just be enough to push this overly large segment of gaming toward the Microsoft camp.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
thismeintiel said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

I hope I'm not the only one that thinks that 8th gen has some chances of becoming bigger than 7th, thanks to the fact that its PC architecture could allow it with price drops to eventually meet the growing income of middle classes in emerging markets.
[...]

I don't see it expanding.  Most likely it will shrink below Gen 7, but higher than Gen 6 numbers.  Reason being that a lot of the audience that the Wii attracted, the casuals, have left the market.  The core gamers chose the 360 and PS3 (with many being multi-console owners), with some going for the Wii (mostly Nintendo fans).  The casuals leaving the market can be illustrated in the poor performance of the Wii U.  It's the cheapest, like the Wii.  It has a "gimmicky" controller, like the Wii U.  And it has more games that appeal to the casual crowd, like the Wii. 

Now, moving onto the core.  I think that the noticeable decline in Xbox One demand so close to launch means that most are going to go with the PS4 this gen, seeing as MS has lost all the advatages it had last gen.  They launched within weeks of each other, not a year or more earlier, like the 360.  The One isn't $200 cheaper than the PS4, like the 360, it is now $100 more expensive.  And while the 360 was slightly less powerful than the PS3, it really only showed in exclusives and barely in a few multiplats.  This time around, there is a very noticable difference in the power of each machine, probably the largest seen between the 1st and 2nd most powerful consoles in a gen.  A difference that will only become more noticeable in the coming years.

In the end, I see PS4 ending somewhere between the PS1 and PS2 (~115M-120M.)  The One somewhere between Xbox and 360 (50M-55M.)  And the Wii U doing slightly above N64 (35M-40M.)

I'm not sure about 8th gen becoming bigger, I think it has some chances as PC architecture could allow PS4 and XBOne to eventually meet, after price drops, the growing buying power of middle classes in emerging countries. IF this will happen there will be chances, I don't think it's granted, just possible. BTW TornadoCreator answering this same post of mine as you did, correctly pointed out the huge problem of the absence of a mid priced games category between dirt cheap casual games on tablets, phones and PCs and expensive triple A ones, this will have to be solved, otherwise consoles will have little hope of growing in emerging markets, as there wouldn't be an adequately priced SW offer to match the affordable HW. In the end, it COULD happen IF at least these two conditions will be met.

Actually there is it's called indie games and sony is pumping out some awesome looking ones at that for the ps4!!

TornadoCreator said:
globalisateur said:
TornadoCreator said:

Summary:

The PS4 will win the generation, with strong sales across the board. It will have market dominance in Europe, Australia, and India and a strong ~40% market share in Japan. In USA it'll be close second, but with enough third party support that it may overtake Xbox One by the end of the eighth generation.

The Xbox One will have a strong following in USA and will remain the de-facto home for FPS gamers with Halo, Titanfall, and even Call Of Duty/Battlefield/Destiny (despite being multiplat), because of Xbox Live. Outside of the North American market it will be a distant third place, particularly in Japan where it will likely be discontinued by 2018. Microsoft is however the most likely company to move some of it's production to Brazil given Sony's financial situation, so may claim the Latin American market. If so, the Xbox One may still be a success.

Wii U will sell well in Japan, likely having the largest market share, and will have a decent following in Europe as the default second place. Globally however it will be the third place console, with poor sales in North America, no movement into additional markets, and a lack of third party support. It will likely be perceived in a similar vein to the Gamecube, however 3DS sales, and strong first party software will ensure that Nintendo remain profitable, although there is a risk that many, perfectly decent Wii U games will be denied localisation outside of Japan.

This generation will be a battle for second place between the Xbox One and the Wii U.

Let me know what you think of my analysis and opinion, if you agree or disagree and why. I'm no industry expert so my opinions are subject to change if people have information I've not considered.

You may be wrong here. Because the multiplat shooters are already selling better in USA on PS4, slightly better for COD, but still better, and easily better for BF4.

I expect that Destiny will sell a lot better on PS4 than X1 like BF4. The probable resolution/performance difference between the 2 version and the great DS4 controller will also help that.

And also PS4 hardware is already winning easily while being sold out everywhere in USA so how do you think that PS4 will be close second? Maybe when Titanfall is released, ok.

X1 may win back some gamers with Halo 5 and Titanfall 1 I admit, when they are released, helping the X1 to be head to head with PS4 on USA. Until Titanfall 2 is out on PS4 of course.

I just think that there's enough of a following surrounding Xbox Live, the gamerscore, achievements and the like for the hardcore Xbox 360 crowd to migrate to PS4. It's possible sure, and PS4 is selling better at the moment, but once Halo, Titanfall, and a new Gears Of War game hit, the Xbots will all move over. There is a shockingly large number of gamers out there who play Fifa/Madden (depending on country), Call Of Duty, Halo, and pretty much nothing else. They may very occationally pick up something like GTA V, but that's rare. For these gamers, the apparently more reliable servers and better service for online gaming that Xbox Live offers over PSN is a big draw. Now granted, I don't play online, so this is all based on prevailing attitudes, but I think the online system might just be enough to push this overly large segment of gaming toward the Microsoft camp.

Gear Of War is no more exclusive, if they want to make an other, it will be on PS4

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Whenever I see these type of threads, I always say to myself "I bet pezus has something to do with it".

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans

g911turbo said:
ICStats said:
Conina said:
el_gallo said:
Finally they are fully backward compatible with both controllers and games and this allows them more of a slow burn with regard to success. Sony needs to grab those big dollars because their solution requires a massive up front investment. $400 for the console, perhaps $60 for a second controller, $50 for plus and $60 for a game.

$570 is massive.

Well, the PS4 is not such a big investment for me.

419 € for PS4 + DriveClub (retail) + 50% PS+ voucher.

- 520 € (sold my launch PS4 for 580 € minus 60 € eBay and shipping costs)

504 € for the Killzone-PS4-bundle (PS4 + Killzone Shadow Fall + second DualShock4 + camera)

- 50 € for second controller (I don't need it, second player can use my Vita as second controller)

- 60 € for the camera (perhaps I  keep it... haven't decided yet)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

all together: 293 € for PS4 (512 GB) + DriveClub + Killzone SF + 6 months PS Plus (Contrast, Resogun, Don't Starve and a few other PS4 games the next months)

a better value than 288 € - 299 € for a WiiU (32 GB) + 1 game ;)

Hehe, lucky.

I got a XB1 Day One on ebay for $440 (including express shipping), then I sold it for $470.  Not much demand here... can't even sell for 499.

Whoever sold it to me got x-boned.

I had two PS4s in hand the week before Christmas and had to sell them both at cost (430), so I think both consoles were a bust for resellers.

Also, Microsoft might be in a pickle on the 500 price.  On one hand, it was smart.  Why let resellers get all that money.  If you can sell your console for 500, do it.  But now they have to find a clever way to cut the price sooner than later without pissing off EVERYONE who bought it at 500.  Much like Nintendo with the 3DS.

That being said, my prediction is a bundled game with the Xbox one as soon as this spring.

i doubt you will see a drop until next year but i think you are correct when you say you will see games bundled.....the disc doesnt cost much to produce so its less of a "loss" than cutting the price.