By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Knack outsold Super Mario 3D World ... right ?

PandaGames said:
naruball said:
PandaGames said:

Remember when Knack outsold Mario 3D world in Europe? 

Well ... :

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/73166/super-mario-3d-world/

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/71544/knack/

I remember fanboys saying Wii U doomed and stuff like that over this. 

How exactly do you know that it's fanboys who said that? Is it because you disagree with them? Is it because they made a prediction that doensn't favour NInty? Please, do tell.

No, for me a fanboy is someone who says that, for exaple, a PS4 game is much much better then a Wii U game. And if I disagree with someone, that ok, I even like that. I love peoples opinions ;)

If you actually love opinions, you should accept that for some people Knack is more fun or more refreshing. Quality is subjective no matter what everyone says. I read a review from a certain website on Knack and the reviwer gave it a 4/10 and hated it, but then said that his (or someone else's) children loved it and even showed a video of them playing it. It's possible that it's more fun for people around 7 or something. Who knows? But to call this people "fanboys" for calling it better, is by all means unfounded and unncessary. Even if you have played AND beaten both games. 

Around the Network

Well, people are just happy that Knack was outselling Super Mario 3D World, even if it is only temporary. It's kind of like the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs, when Detroit went up 3-1 against Chicago. Even though they ended up losing the series, people were surprised that they were even able to do that well against the best team.

Fusioncode said:

It's been outselling it nearly every week in the UK. It's funny to see such a mediocre platformer outsell one of the most critically acclaimed games of the year simply because it's on a different console.

It´s not funny, it´s sad. If people keep supporting mediocre games just because of the hype, this industry is going to implode.

Dv8thwonder said:
If Knack was more popular than Super Mario 3D World, you would think people would bring it up in GOTY discussions or daily videogame talk but no it is only dragged miserably into the light only when sales discussions are brought up. A mediocre pack in game is mediocre regardless of Sony's sad attempts to force it on the public out of sheer desperation for their overhyped shiny new toy. /rant

Aww someone sounds bitter. Protip for you, Sony isn't the one making moves out of desperation in order to sell their failing next gen console. That would be your dear Nintendo. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

POE said:
Fusioncode said:

It's been outselling it nearly every week in the UK. It's funny to see such a mediocre platformer outsell one of the most critically acclaimed games of the year simply because it's on a different console.

It´s not funny, it´s sad. If people keep supporting mediocre games just because of the hype, this industry is going to implode.

That's been happening since the game industry began. Plenty of mediocre games sold well on the NES purely based on hype. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
pezus said:
POE said:
Fusioncode said:

That makes no sense. Mediocre games selling well is actually a good thing. Good games not selling well would be a bad thing.

And why is it a good thing?  If a mediocre game sells well then we will be flooded by those games because they don´t require a lot of money, resources or time, and they even sell good. 

kowenicki said:
Madword said:
kowenicki said:

Some light relief shown below.

As an aside, the silver lining here is that any comparison is now fair game so show no mercy in the future.  

Wow shocking how poor Ryse has done in comparisson to Knack... especially as Knack was probably a very cheap project to make.

I think SM3DW is doing ok though. Would be interested to see how it's doing compared to other staple Nintendo games of the past in a same release period.

lmao

Awww, you are trying way too hard.

Ryse will end up with over double its sales and well over 1 million.

Knack wont.

These are LAUNCH games remember.

Haha you started it ;) - Bolded.

At the end of the day, Ryse will outsell it that is no doubt... but... success of a game is not just about outselling another game... Ryse took 5+ years to make and probably at least $15-20m. If you consider success that it's only going to sell more than Knack as a factor of success, then this whole conversation is pointless.

As you said in your post, fair game.....how is Ryse doing against Killzone,... how about comparing Knack to Killer Instinct or perhaps Zoo Tycoon, or Loco Cycle... pretty sure the chart might look different. haha.

So is it me trying to hard, or *you* trying to hard... We know the answer don't we :D

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

kowenicki said:
don't take comparison threads made by some other posters seriously.... they are ONLY made to wind people up.

+1

Additionally, Nintendo tends to get the last laugh. Which Mario platformer has ever bombed? None. No matter the circumstance.

Let the Sony trolls  talk all they want. That doesn't change the fact Wii U and its games are doing pretty well lately for a "doomed console". Holiday boost or not, momentum is building and the software is coming to support it in 2014 way more consistently.

So does anyone have any idea of the Wii U's installed userbase..? Had a look at the front page here and it looks to be wildly undertracked at 4.7m. There's no way that it only sold 0.8m worldwide during the Christmas shopping season, it had sold 3.9m before the shopping season started according to Nintendo.

Lol @ people thinking that a mediocre piece of trash could outsell a mainline IP from the House of Mario