By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - But seriously tho - where did PS3 go wrong?

Even before PS3 was out it was headed for a disaster. The cell r&d losses, weak gpu(PS3 apparantly almost didnt have a gpu and was gonna rely only on the Cell for everything), difficult Cell programming, split ram, expensive bluray drive... =>>this lead to PS3 not selling as well as PS2 which cost Sony exclusives and deals.

They shouldn't have gone with the Cell.

Around the Network
DamnTastic said:
where didn't they?

Came here to write almost exactly the same thing.

Ludicrous price tag, sixaxis (even without rumble to begin with), pathetic launch line-up, loss of several major exclusive franchises, massive loss of 3rd party exclusive support, inferior multiplats for several years, inferior online service, massively ridiculous R&D cost and needless developer problems due to the Cell, removing BC after a short while, almost no games in 1080p to showcase the full capacity of Blu-ray, surprisingly poor tie-in with their movie relations to push Blu-ray as a format, quite a few security and update blunders, uninspired OS and UI. The list goes on, I'm almost shocked it did was well as it has.

pezus said:
Carl2291 said:
Price. Shit games for 2 years. Releasing after the competition.

Arrogance.

You just called Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm and Uncharted shit. I will not stand for that.

MGS4 and GTA4 too!

Seriously though, youre right. I exagerated it. The point I was making was that there was no where near enough system selling exclusive software.

It had low selling/appeal exclusives until MGS4 and the 3rd party ports were incredibly bad.

PS3 just had too many shit games.

Price, late relased and arrogance coming from the dominance with the PS2.

Both (price and arrogance) of wich have improved or reverted with time.

RazorDragon said:

Lack of games during the early years, high price, multiplats performing better on competition.

Around the Network

Oh, this is a very easy question for me. I have a lot of critiques against my PS3 console.

1. Sony was arrogant in the beginning of the 7th generation. The Price was high for the system, and they didn't take the humble approach towards the consumer. (Thus the famous quote that people will work two jobs to own a PS3)

2. They botch the marketing in the beginning. I'm not really sure why myself, but it seems a lot of people didn't understand the approach and understanding the value of this expensive system, it turn people away from the machine.

3. (This one is huge) The online was free but gamers demanded a better experience than Sony was providing for free. I personally bought the PS3 for the free online because I was not ready to pay, but THEY REALLY DIDN'T improve the online experience. Yes, they tweaked it here and there, but failed to provide what they were marketing. The PS3 didn't do everything. (It didn't play Loss-less files, MKVs, It got rid of Linux, Its music player is crap and outdated [why on why can't it fast forward faster, and no updates to the visuals!!], updating games takes a long time, they failed to really improve the internet browser and incorporate the keyboard and mouse.

(Basically I'll say that when I first got my PS3, I didn't use my PC for a month. I really tried all the components of the PS3 and I wouldn't have return to the PC if the PS3 became seamless with my online surfing, youtube/video watching, music playing, etc., experience. Sony botched it big time. I would have loved to be here typing to you through my PS3, but no. Sony didn't optimize their Operating Interface and it also failed to get application support like android, Linux, and Windows has.)

4. The PS3 was difficult to program for and Sony drop the ball in not showing outside third parties how to use it better and providing all the help they could so that more game/app developers would have jump in the wagon of the play station family.

(It is my believe that this is the reason they lost a lot of the market to the the Xbox. Many developers basically gave the middle finger to Sony until it understood that people would not come to the company, it was the other way around. And I'm glad Sony understood, but to what level? I don't know. I've yet to buy a PS4)

5. (My opinion) I bought the PS3 for Japanese RPGs, but the 7th generation Japanese RPGs didn't arrive soon enough to the PS3 life cycle to persuade the American market to buy a PS3 over an Xbox, since many of the JRPGs could also be played on Microsoft machine.

6. (My opinion) The 7th generation to me was defined by a vast of first/third person shooter games. The PS3 Duel Shock 3 controller is not optimized for this genre. (It has always been very hard for me to hold L2 with my middle finger, my hand just keeps lowering my middle finger to get a better grip on the controller. It's annoying.

There is probably more things, but I'll just summarize what I think Sony did wrong, and could possibly still be doing wrong on the next generation: Sony's dream was to have consumers buy/own Sony branded products for all their needs and wants. (basically to have people own a Sony TV with their Sony VCR, Sony Receiver, etc.) The strategy they use is what got them in trouble today. Sony over-reached like the USA is doing today. They wanted to be everywhere and intrusively did so in a manner that displeased people. Why the hell do I need to buy a Sony memory card to run their products? Why the hell do I have to use their music software to hear streaming music? People don't want to be told why products they should buy. It's a big no-no, and I'm glad Microsoft & Nintendo are here to knock some sense into Sony's Corporate heads that they are not gods; people will NOT gladly hand over their money to them and their Religion that is Sony. Fawk you Sony for trying to create a monopolies and failing in the process. Having said that, I still own a PS3 as my only console, because it still provided a Percent higher in my taste in gaming than what the other companies were offering.

Hope this helps.

haha well done.
they let the yen sink too low.
thats my theory!

Mummelmann said:
DamnTastic said:
where didn't they?

Came here to write almost exactly the same thing.

Ludicrous price tag, sixaxis (even without rumble to begin with), pathetic launch line-up, loss of several major exclusive franchises, massive loss of 3rd party exclusive support, inferior multiplats for several years, inferior online service, massively ridiculous R&D cost and needless developer problems due to the Cell, removing BC after a short while, almost no games in 1080p to showcase the full capacity of Blu-ray, surprisingly poor tie-in with their movie relations to push Blu-ray as a format, quite a few security and update blunders, uninspired OS and UI. The list goes on, I'm almost shocked it did was well as it has.

Just shows how strong the playstation brand is

OP Should make a list on all the complains people are posting to compare with all the Pro's his/she has posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLjWeMTwRVc

After that event, things changed.

What Sony went through with the PS3 really humbled them, and as a result the PS4 was born, much more in line with the PS1/PS2 days.