By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - But seriously tho - where did PS3 go wrong?

TheSting said:
STRYKIE said:
TheSting said:
STRYKIE said:
TheSting said:
Biggest reason is because the 360 arrived. Early

TurboGrafx, Sega Saturn, Wii U......

Looking at sales. Yea the 360 arrived. Early

All of those systems were deliberately released prematurely with the intention of getting a start on their competition. Didn't help them at all.

And considering that the 360 sold less than the original Xbox (a system with two competitors) in their respective first 9 months on the market, I don't think anything changed there either.

I didnt say it was the only. Just the biggest. It ran unopposed for a year. This coming off the heels of their other system and the midst of the PS2 era. Only system with HD gaming. When it took off it took off though. The 360 was a viable threat to the PS brand. 

Off topic what is up with typing from a phone on this site? May be just me idk

And like I said, nobody besides the original Xbox faithful were willing to give it a chance until the reveal of "599 US DOLLARS".

Around the Network

Hey guys, the amount of real answers frightens me. I just copy/pasted another thread and said "PS3" whenever the other thread said "360". I could do one for Wii if you want but we all know that the Wii didn't make ANY mistakes!

Wow, I've never seen some of those reasons of why PS3 should have won ever before, like the cheaper price point than the than 360 with all the other accessories. Good job!

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

d21lewis said:
Hey guys, the amount of real answers frightens me. I just copy/pasted another thread and said "PS3" whenever the other thread said "360". I could do one for Wii if you want but we all know that the Wii didn't make ANY mistakes!

wiiu sums it up. wiiu 3rd party was wht hardcore ninty fans wanted for wii. 

go head and make the thread. should be interesting.

STRYKIE said:
TheSting said:
STRYKIE said:
TheSting said:
STRYKIE said:
TheSting said:
Biggest reason is because the 360 arrived. Early

TurboGrafx, Sega Saturn, Wii U......

Looking at sales. Yea the 360 arrived. Early

All of those systems were deliberately released prematurely with the intention of getting a start on their competition. Didn't help them at all.

And considering that the 360 sold less than the original Xbox (a system with two competitors) in their respective first 9 months on the market, I don't think anything changed there either.

I didnt say it was the only. Just the biggest. It ran unopposed for a year. This coming off the heels of their other system and the midst of the PS2 era. Only system with HD gaming. When it took off it took off though. The 360 was a viable threat to the PS brand. 

Off topic what is up with typing from a phone on this site? May be just me idk

And like I said, nobody besides the original Xbox faithful were willing to give it a chance until the reveal of "599 US DOLLARS".

Not true at all but we are good. No worries you can have it.

Around the Network

$599 is where they failed, and complicated architecture

What killed Sony was losing all those exclusives. GTAIV and Assassin's Creed were supposed to be (timed) exclusive on the PS3, but Sony denied (due to having spend all the money on the Cell and Blu-ray). PS3 not selling well forced Square Enix to put Final Fantasy XIII on the 360, and Microsoft started paying for other games like Star Ocean, Tales Of, and Ace Combat.

What Sony should have did was just use a generic Power PC processor like the 360 did. Steve Jobs rejected the Cell and he was right. The 360 cost $330 to manufacturer in 2006, so if the PS3 had similar specs (but better) it could have cost Sony only around $500 instead of $840. Not to mention it is easier to develop for. Sony then sells the PS3 for $399 and dominates - sells maybe around 110-120 million.

Cell CPU was hard as shit to develop for... Many games that were in 360 that got ported to the ps3 were buggy up the ass... And the 360 had an overall better experience with third party as well as Sony didn't have many good games coming out for the ps3 for the first 2 years... They got quality games have the two years however and with the price drop, they started getting really good sales as well as games and better third party support... It makes sense why they didnt dominate at all

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

The high price and slow trickle of must own games hurt. Now system is virtually a must own but for years it wasnt.

Mistakes that Sony did with PS3:

- 499/599 launch price tag.

- Released 1 year later.

- Split RAM - Lacking Cross Game Voice Chat (which is extremely helpul in online games) and slower XMB while gaming.

- Difficult to manege the CELL processor (problem number one. Because of this Bioshock and other games like Oblivion was later released and Left 4 Dead series never coming to the PS3)

- Inferior multiplatform games until 2008 and lacking the trophy system.

- Weaker GPU.

- Only after 2009 that developers were more familiar with the system architecture

*With PS4 looks like Sony has fixed all this problems.