By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - But seriously tho - where did PS3 go wrong?

This gen had PS3's name written all over it. They dominated nearly every aspect of the 6th gen yet some how managed to come in second (or a close third)

I'm not saying they failed this gen - far from, but how did they not dominate (of at least Xbox 360)

DA LIST (Feel free to add) of why PS3 deserved to win!
- They released with the most powerful hardware and the only console with Blu Ray.

- They had a lot of Sony's exclusives!

- More powerful hardware  to work with
(and even though it was considered ever so slightly stroner than xbox 360, multiplats were equal if not better on 360 games, tho)

- They had MULTIPLE IP's that sold in the multi-millions! Gran Turismo, Uncharted Heavy Rain GOW. They didn't have many IP's that sold 5 or 10 million unlike a number of 360's.

- A universally accepted standard setting controller.

- They won the HD format war (against HD DVD, but hell, everyone lost that didn't they?)

- They had exclusive deals with the BIG games (Arkham Asylum, Mass Effect)

- Minecraft for a year and a half after Microsoft
(I mean it sold flippin 10 million on 360, thats like alot of mountain dews!)

- Strong(er?) marketing
(I turn on comedy central and every day I was told Kevin Butler was awesome!)

- More focussed products than Microsoft
(Well,  many PS3 titles were exclusive to PS3.  Microsoft shared many titles like Gears of War and Alan Wake with the PC)

- Games almost always shown off on PS3's at press events (or commercials with "Playstation" at the end, still brand recognition for PS3)

- Cheaper price at launch compared to 360 (599 US Dollahs! <3 KAZ).  You needed to buy an HD DVD player, Wi Fi Router, controller charger, Xbox Live subscription to get that PS3 experiene.

- They seemed to make exclusive deals with indie games that sold Mega! Journey, Pixel Junk, Flower, PAIN, braid.
(Well four of those devs have had bad things to say about MS (not specifically xbox) in the past, and two of them are making (timed?) exclusive ps4 games

MORE TO COME BRO!

But somehow they didn't dominate....

Any theories?

Around the Network

Kaz Hirai "Get a Job... still can't afford it? GET A BETTER JOB"

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

pezus said:
"599"

/thread. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

where didn't they?

Around the Network

It was more expensive than the 360, it had a much worse online, it didn't receive some of the 3rd party games that the 360 was getting and it didn't have many worthwhile exclusives early on. The only thing that it had going for it from most gamers stand point was free online and what good is that really if it sucked.

Edit: As far as I remember Braid was only on 360 early on.

$599

The price was just simply way too much to start out with... Cross platforms generally performed better on the 360, and the 360 had superior online play. I attribute most of the damage and struggles to the cell processor...

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Price. Shit games for 2 years. Releasing after the competition.

Arrogance.

Lack of games during the early years, high price, multiplats performing better on competition.