By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
d21lewis said:
brendude13 said:

I don't really see how that answers any point he made.

Ask an average guy on the street what is better, a PS2 or an Atari Jaguar, I'm sure he'll have a similar response. We're not average guys on the street, we're gamers.

For some reason, this reminds me of Bane telling Batman that his tricks only work on the uninitiated....and we are both initiated.  So, in a way, I think you're calling me Batman.  Thanks for that.  

Oh, and I elaborated a bit further down.  It was just that first line that got me because...well fuck.  Technically, I am a Nintendo fan and an Xbox fan.  I guess he was right!

It was a pretty provocative first line, but I think what he said after had some truth to it.

But you seemed to agree with what he said after that anyway.

Around the Network

Well, obviously 'bigger is better' in this case no matter how you put it. Why wouldn't I choose the higher-res version if all else is the same.

However, it's not the same. I don't have all consoles and all versions don't have the same features. That said I don't care about resolution enough to not make me buy a game if it's 'only' 720p. Today, graphics have basically gotten to the point where it's 'good enough' anyway.
And then it's still all relative. Indeed I'd expect a newer console to come with games that are more advanced than those of a generation past and all three consoles (and the two handhelds as well) give us that. Lower resolution though doesn't keep me from having fun in games from an older generation.

Whenever I play YouTube videos, I get disgruntled when viewing in 720p or lower.

Coincidentally, I pulled out my GameCube last night to play with some friends who came over. I haven't touched the GC in *years*. The resolution actually made my eyes hurt. We had a blast playing, and I got over it relatively fast, but it was quite a shocker.

d21lewis said:
thismeintiel said:

Well, let's get serious about this issue, and truthful. The only ones downplaying 1080p are Nintendo fans and Xbox fans. Of course, before the release of their favored console, they were singing a different tune.

Before the Wii U released and we were speculating on the power, several Nintendo fans were saying the Wii U would be able to pull off PS3 visuals, but in 1080p. Well, after launch we realized it could handle PS3 graphics, but certainly not the best ones at 1080p. Now, 1080p doesn't matter.

Before Xbox One was released, Xbox fans joined in in mocking the Wii U for not pulling off 1080p on most games. Even when we started getting rumors that games would have slightly gimped visuals + lower resolutions, many denied it, stating the One could definitely handle that kind of graphical output. Now the Xbox One is released and games aren't up to snuff with their PS4 counterparts, 1080p doesn't matter.

Of course, many also fall back on the "720p games are still fun" stance. While this is 100% true, we are in next gen, so 1080p should be the standard, not the exception. 720p was last gens standard, so I wish to greatly advance in what my console can pull off, not take a couple of steps forward. Besides, I want to use my 1080p tv to its fullest potential, while having loads of fun.

Or maybe the ones blowing it out of proportion are Playstation 4 fans?  I mean, ask the average guy on the street about 1080p and 720p and their reply will probably be "What?".

ask the average guy on the street about 10fps and 30fps and their reply will probably be " what ?" , so good framerate is useless ?
Your argument is invalid.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Aerys said:
d21lewis said:
thismeintiel said:

Well, let's get serious about this issue, and truthful. The only ones downplaying 1080p are Nintendo fans and Xbox fans. Of course, before the release of their favored console, they were singing a different tune.

Before the Wii U released and we were speculating on the power, several Nintendo fans were saying the Wii U would be able to pull off PS3 visuals, but in 1080p. Well, after launch we realized it could handle PS3 graphics, but certainly not the best ones at 1080p. Now, 1080p doesn't matter.

Before Xbox One was released, Xbox fans joined in in mocking the Wii U for not pulling off 1080p on most games. Even when we started getting rumors that games would have slightly gimped visuals + lower resolutions, many denied it, stating the One could definitely handle that kind of graphical output. Now the Xbox One is released and games aren't up to snuff with their PS4 counterparts, 1080p doesn't matter.

Of course, many also fall back on the "720p games are still fun" stance. While this is 100% true, we are in next gen, so 1080p should be the standard, not the exception. 720p was last gens standard, so I wish to greatly advance in what my console can pull off, not take a couple of steps forward. Besides, I want to use my 1080p tv to its fullest potential, while having loads of fun.

Or maybe the ones blowing it out of proportion are Playstation 4 fans?  I mean, ask the average guy on the street about 1080p and 720p and their reply will probably be "What?".

ask the average guy on the street about 10fps and 30fps and their reply will probably be " what ?" , so good framerate is useless ?
Your argument is invalid.

At no point have I ever said 1080p was useless.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:

If we're simplifying it down like that, you could take it a step further and put an alternate spin on it and say the only ones making a big deal about it are Playstation fans who spent the last 3 generations downplaying graphics as they had the weakest console and/or inferior multiplatform ports.

Of course as everyone else said, we're gamers, so bickering about 720p vs 900p vs 1080p is petty and pointless when a gamer can go on a PC and play a game in 1440 resolution and even higher. I mean, if someone came into a PS4 BF4 or AC4 thread and was saying the games must be trash because they only run 1080p while his run at 4k, your response would be what? Oh man you're right, why am I even bothering playing this tripe? No, it would be something like uh... cool, doesn't make my game any worse, or something to that effect. That's what a gamer should say, right?

I doubt people cared while the PS1 or PS2 were dominating much more powerful machines that their toy had slightly worse graphics.

J_Allard said:
thismeintiel said:

If we're simplifying it down like that, you could take it a step further and put an alternate spin on it and say the only ones making a big deal about it are Playstation fans who spent the last 3 generations downplaying graphics as they had the weakest console and/or inferior multiplatform ports.

Of course as everyone else said, we're gamers, so bickering about 720p vs 900p vs 1080p is petty and pointless when a gamer can go on a PC and play a game in 1440 resolution and even higher. I mean, if someone came into a PS4 BF4 or AC4 thread and was saying the games must be trash because they only run 1080p while his run at 4k, your response would be what? Oh man you're right, why am I even bothering playing this tripe? No, it would be something like uh... cool, doesn't make my game any worse, or something to that effect. That's what a gamer should say, right?

I doubt people cared while the PS1 or PS2 were dominating much more powerful machines that their toy had slightly worse graphics.

Well, you would have an argument if what I said wasn't exactly what happened.  Both Nintendo and Xbox fans bickered and boasted about resolution when they thought their consoles of choice could easily push it.  Now, it's "petty and pointless" because they can't.  At least not without gimping the graphics close to a last gen game.  And no one is saying 720p games are crap, but if you can have better graphics AND a higher resolution AND a higher framrate on a cheaper console (when compared to the Xbox One's cost) for the same game and/or exclusives, there's really no argument to be made.

thismeintiel said:

Well, you would have an argument if what I said wasn't exactly what happened.  Both Nintendo and Xbox fans bickered and boasted about resolution when they though their consoles of choice could easily push.  now, it's "petty and pointless" because they can't.  At least not without gimping the graphics close to a last gen game.  And no one is saying 720p games are crap, but if you can have better graphics AND a higher resolution AND a higher framrate on a cheaper console (when compared to the Xbox One's cost) for the same game and/or exclusives, there's really no argument to be made.

And yet at the same time, what I said is also exactly what happened. Which was the morale of the story.  You can sit and say "well lulz ur just downplaying cuz ur console is weak" or whatever but that creates the equally valid point that you're only making it a big deal now because the disparity exists right now. It's known as the pot calling the kettle black. Or, you're throwing stones in your glass house. etc etc.

And please, "close to a last gen game"? No need for such hyperbole if you were actually making a valid point.

Or maybe you can tell me I am wrong and you actually did not own a PS2 or a PS3 or a GCN or a Wii or a Wii U? Or a PSone or etc etc? I guess it's only this gen that a slight graphics advantage on some games matters. Why? Because that advantage is for your toy of choice. Carry on preaching down to others for being part of that same charade though, toodles.

aikohualda said:

I wonder... why people are complaining games that are not on 1080p....

as if you can't enjoy a game at a lower resolution.

it is true that 1080p looks better (little or much much more) vs the 720p.... but would that hinder you from playing that game especially if it is exclusive to the system?

i see people might not be interested in MK8 if it won't run in 1080...

are these people has not enjoyed playing game since recently? since the introduction of the 1080p?

is it really that big of a deal?

so what if someone's COD only play 720p.... at least his sytem will have a Halo in his box

have we reach the point of... if it is not high res it won't be enjoyable?

Ive seen the debate going on and on about the power... but we have been gaming for decades with a much lower res and that didn't stop us on enjoying a game...

true HD is revolutionary but it is not everything.

feel free to throw tomato on me.... but i feel sorry for the "fans" that only enjoy 1080p and not the game itself

You're the reason why people keep bringing it up. The sony crowd is getting annoyed by xbox people trying to argue that the ps4 is weaker when it clearly isn't. And yes, 1080p does make a difference. Being able to see what's going on is very helpful. And I believe that a next gen system should be predominantly 1080p.

J_Allard said:
thismeintiel said:

Well, you would have an argument if what I said wasn't exactly what happened.  Both Nintendo and Xbox fans bickered and boasted about resolution when they though their consoles of choice could easily push.  now, it's "petty and pointless" because they can't.  At least not without gimping the graphics close to a last gen game.  And no one is saying 720p games are crap, but if you can have better graphics AND a higher resolution AND a higher framrate on a cheaper console (when compared to the Xbox One's cost) for the same game and/or exclusives, there's really no argument to be made.

And yet at the same time, what I said is also exactly what happened. Which was the morale of the story.  You can sit and say "well lulz ur just downplaying cuz ur console is weak" or whatever but that creates the equally valid point that you're only making it a big deal now because the disparity exists right now. It's known as the pot calling the kettle black. Or, you're throwing stones in your glass house. etc etc.

And please, "close to a last gen game"? No need for such hyperbole if you were actually making a valid point.

Or maybe you can tell me I am wrong and you actually did not own a PS2 or a PS3 or a GCN or a Wii or a Wii U? Or a PSone or etc etc? I guess it's only this gen that a slight graphics advantage on some games matters. Why? Because that advantage is for your toy of choice. Carry on preaching down to others for being part of that same charade though, toodles.

Slight graphical advantages?  Pushing twice the pixels, with better framerates, better AA, and more particle effects is not slight.  This isn't last gen, where the differences between the 360 and PS3 were slight.  And even if a 360 game came out on top, even if slightly, Xbox fans gloated about it.  Now, that the PS4 is going to come out on top of most, if not all, of these comparisons, "graphics and resolution DON'T MATTER!"  Which again, just proves my point.