By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I can play games at 480p, I just expect a little more from a next-gen console. Expecting regularly high res games is more than reasonable for tech introduced in 2013. Of course you can get a PC and this point will be moot, but, the game consoles should be able to take advantge of modern displays at least.

Around the Network
MohammadBadir said:
Akvod said:
MohammadBadir said:

even N64 had 1080p, get it together Xbone!

That clearly says 1080o.

You must be fun at parties.

Guess that was a bad joke. I was trying to say that is it was the letter o instead of a o.

Well, that's why I don't usually try and tell jokes.

d21lewis said:
My paycheck is like $900 more than I expected. Debating if I should impulse buy a new console today.

i always thought you impulse buy sex toys :P

Aerys said:
a game in 720/900p < same game in 1080p on the 100$ cheaper console , sorry , this is the sad cold truth and if you disagree, buy a Wii U, next gen wont be useful to you

yeah because wii u is a current gen....

next gen will be - ps5, xbone quad, and wii us.....

vizunary said:
I like shiny stuff 8p. actually do have an issue with Wii games on my big screen, they look rough, but I'm probably in the minority, 73 inches compared to 40 or so is vastly different. doesn't make me not play them just wish they were better. OT, there is a noticeable difference between 720 and 1080 to me, but I'm a videophile so textures are very apparent.

so you won't play any games that is less than 1080p???? since you are a videophile?

Around the Network
aikohualda said:

I wonder... why people are complaining games that are not on 1080p....

as if you can't enjoy a game at a lower resolution.

it is true that 1080p looks better (little or much much more) vs the 720p.... but would that hinder you from playing that game especially if it is exclusive to the system?

i see people might not be interested in MK8 if it won't run in 1080...

are these people has not enjoyed playing game since recently? since the introduction of the 1080p?

is it really that big of a deal?

so what if someone's COD only play 720p.... at least his sytem will have a Halo in his box

have we reach the point of... if it is not high res it won't be enjoyable?

Ive seen the debate going on and on about the power... but we have been gaming for decades with a much lower res and that didn't stop us on enjoying a game...

true HD is revolutionary but it is not everything.

feel free to throw tomato on me.... but i feel sorry for the "fans" that only enjoy 1080p and not the game itself

For the same reason people who had both the ps3 and the 360  almost always pickedvtheir exclusives on the 360 ... People are mostly rational and they want the best possible version for their money, it's not as if the difference was subtle, if anything it's more apparent than the previous version.

as for exclusives, obviously you have to play them wherever they are, but if I was to have an xb1 I am the kind of person who would constantly wonder how the exclusives would be with better resolution and/or framerate on the ps4 ( throw in aa as well... ) And it' s not as if Sony had no exclusives or studios of their own, they have more teams working on ps4 titles than MS has studios (some of these ms studios are new and unproven as well) so betting on MS for the eclusives is risky... Also they do not invest in their consoles in the long run, see how many platform exclusives made since 2010, then see what Sony made in the same timeframe...

and 1080p is neither new nor some sort of gold standard, if you have access to a gaming PC worth it's salt you will see games running at resolutions up to 4k while maintaingng a decent frame rate!

alabtrosMyster said:
aikohualda said:

I wonder... why people are complaining games that are not on 1080p....

as if you can't enjoy a game at a lower resolution.

it is true that 1080p looks better (little or much much more) vs the 720p.... but would that hinder you from playing that game especially if it is exclusive to the system?

i see people might not be interested in MK8 if it won't run in 1080...

are these people has not enjoyed playing game since recently? since the introduction of the 1080p?

is it really that big of a deal?

so what if someone's COD only play 720p.... at least his sytem will have a Halo in his box

have we reach the point of... if it is not high res it won't be enjoyable?

Ive seen the debate going on and on about the power... but we have been gaming for decades with a much lower res and that didn't stop us on enjoying a game...

true HD is revolutionary but it is not everything.

feel free to throw tomato on me.... but i feel sorry for the "fans" that only enjoy 1080p and not the game itself

For the same reason people who had both the ps3 and the 360  almost always pickedvtheir exclusives on the 360 ... People are mostly rational and they want the best possible version for their money, it's not as if the difference was subtle, if anything it's more apparent than the previous version.

as for exclusives, obviously you have to play them wherever they are, but if I was to have an xb1 I am the kind of person who would constantly wonder how the exclusives would be with better resolution and/or framerate on the ps4 ( throw in aa as well... ) And it' s not as if Sony had no exclusives or studios of their own, they have more teams working on ps4 titles than MS has studios (some of these ms studios are new and unproven as well) so betting on MS for the eclusives is risky... Also they do not invest in their consoles in the long run, see how many platform exclusives made since 2010, then see what Sony made in the same timeframe...

and 1080p is neither new nor some sort of gold standard, if you have access to a gaming PC worth it's salt you will see games running at resolutions up to 4k while maintaingng a decent frame rate!

ok let me clear things up... do you mind playing games <1080p right now?

OdinHades said:
Porcupine_I said:
The fact that this thread exists alone is evidence that the issue is bothering people.

It doesn't really matter if a game is 1080p, as long as it is a great game. I even say it is the first thing that should be sacrificed to make a game run better.
But i just need to think back to last gen and how many times i heard the "most multiplats look better on my console of choice" argument. And many of these people who used this argument now trying to make it seem irrelevant. That's the irony of the situation.

Well, to be fair, people who said it wasn't a big deal back then are now saying how it's soo important to have better multiplats. It works both ways. It always works both ways in console wars. ^^

Exactly! So people should just get used to it instead of complaining.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

I don't think 1080p is *as* big of a deal on a console because most people don't sit like a foot away from their TV.

Given they're sitting back at 7-8 feet from the TV in most cases at least, that's where things get muddled.

For PC gaming where you are extremely close to the PC monitor in most cases, sure it makes a more noticeable difference.

SvennoJ said:
disolitude said:
elazz said:
When I put the settings on my pc to 900p or 1080p I already see a huge difference. Let alone 720p - 1080p. Even on a big television you clearly feel the difference. If you play CoD ghosts for a while on xbox one and afterwards playing on PS4 the difference is immense and I actually think that this factor alone can already define your purchase

Your PC monitor doesn't have a scaler and 900p does not upscale to 1080p properly hence why it looks like ass. A good scaler is needed to make 900p or 720p map 1:1 to pixels on a TV that has 1080 lines.

Truth on the matter 720p vs 1080p is just one part of the story, expecially when its upscaled with a good scaler like these consoles have at their disposal. Most PC gamers know that 720p with copious amounts of AA and a higher frame rate kicks the crap out of standalone "1080p" without AA and lower frame rate...when it comes to visual fidelity.

There is no 1:1 mapping when scaling 900p or 720p to 1080p. You can have 1:1 mapping when scaling 720p to 1440p or 2160p, but otherwise you're stuck with 2 pixels for every 3 pixels on your tv. It looks better when your console upscales the render resolution since the HUD information is usually put on top in 1080p. Console scaler isn't always better, it depends on the tv. My projector did a bettter job at upscaling Alan Wake and Forza Horizon than the 360, so I left the console output in 720p.

I prefer 1080p on pc with less or no AA over 720p with copious amounts of AA. I rather have a sharp picture with some aliasing artifacts then the softness of upscaled dvd quality.

While you are arguing the opposite by saying that your projector is left to do the scaling, all I am saying here is is that that you have to let your console scale the image and enable the display to "just scan" or "no overscan". That way things are mapped 1:1 and the image doesn't resize itself again due to overscan. That should produce the best results IMO but I guess some projectors are miracle workers. :)  

Otherwise I'm surprised somepne using projector would say they want 1080p with less AA (and lower frame rate?). DLP projectors hide resolution loss much better than LCD screens, thanks to their "puffy" pixels and your detail loss should be minimal at 720p with AA.