By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which is better? N64 or GameCube?

N64 252 60.72%

GameCube 163 39.28%

Total:415

N64 was revolutionary!!!!!!!

Around the Network

Gamecube was one of my favorite consoles. Nintendo has not made a good console since.

Soundwave said:
N64 just because ... you know that "wow" feeling you get when playing EAD Tokyo's games today ... N64 seemed to have that a lot more often.

Like you could just tell that with the N64, Nintendo was pushing themselves to the max.

With the GameCube their creative focus seemed to be confused.

100% agreed. Almost every single 1st party title on the N64 was mindblowing. I also loved the controller, it's probably my favourite (console) controller of all time, feels bigger and more stable than the PS controllers of the time.

Gamecube I cant stand the N64's garbage ass controller.

Soundwave said:
N64 just because ... you know that "wow" feeling you get when playing EAD Tokyo's games today ... N64 seemed to have that a lot more often.

Like you could just tell that with the N64, Nintendo was pushing themselves to the max.

With the GameCube their creative focus seemed to be confused.

mario 64

star fox 64

zeldat oot

golden eye

banjo kazioo

were all mind blowing.

Around the Network

The Gamecube had an overall stronger library. N64 has a few noteworthy titles.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I love both, but N64 is the easy winner here. Yes the controller was a problem, but the software was outstanding. N64 supported Super Mario 64 and Ocarina, two of the best games ever made, better than anything on GCN outside of Resident Evil 4, plus Majora's Mask, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Excitebike 64, Jet Force Gemini, Banjo-Tooie, Rayman 2, Resident Evil 2, Rogue Squadron, etc.

GCN had great games, most notably Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Melee, Double Dash, and Animal Crossing, and a lot of great third party games like Prince of Persia and Beyond Good & Evil, but its library doesn't stand up to the N64 library.

Well, it's a tough battle:

Nintendo 64

- Super Mario 64 (revolutionary 3D platformer)

- Mario Kart 64 (exceptional four player action)

- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (revolutionary 3D adventure)

- Banjo-Kazooie (excellent 3D platforming with god-tier soundtrack)

- Super Smash Bros. (revolutionary fighter with timeless gameplay enjoyment)

- Diddy Kong Racing (excellent soundtrack and gameplay variety)

- GoldenEye 007 (revolutionary single and multiplayer FPS experience)

- Banjo-Tooie (everything great about BK plus excellent multiplayer modes)

- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (revolutionary time system and fantastic story)

- Conker's Bad Fur Day (features an opera singing pile of shit)

Gamecube

- Luigi's Mansion (highly memorable experience with great gameplay)

- Super Mario Sunshine (great visuals and use of the water mechanic)

- Super Smash Bros. Melee (god-tier gameplay, features everything great about SSB plus much more)

- F-Zero GX (greatest racer of all time)

- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (excellent open world experience and fantastic story, soundtrack and visuals)

- Metroid Prime (great gameplay, soundtrack and immersion)

- Star Fox Adventures (perfect mix between Zelda and Rareware elements)

- Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (unique co-op take on the racing genre)

- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (excellent dungeon design)

- Eternal Darkness (fantastic story telling)

In the end, Nintendo 64 edges it out though through its massive quantity of greatness. Largely thanks to Rare's contributions.

N64 due to having Ogrebattle 64, Perfect Dark, and Conkers Bad Fur day. Three of my all time favorite games. But I certainly loved the hell out of the Gamecube too.

GameCube was my first console so I'm more inclined towards it.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash