By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Wii U be the last Nintendo console you buy year one?

spurgeonryan said:

Because of how great the Wii was I bought the Wii U year one. Something I have not done in three generations.

As of right now, it will not happen with their next console.

I'd like to say no, and for Nintendo it will probabally stay no, but it has caused me to re-evaluate when I purchase a console in general.

I bought and paid for a PS4 (pre-order) months before it came out, and as I saw nothing for the system (including lacking backwards compatibility for my few PS3 games) I cancelled it, got a second Wii U for a different room in the house.

So what is available is going to color my opinion on anything, and I am a primarily PC/Nintendo gamer, so it is probabally worse for any other system since they offer me next to nothing.

Around the Network

Because i didn't enjoy my first 3 years with the wii i didn't buy WiiU until January but because of WiiU i'll buy their next console day one

bet with ash3336 he wins if Super Mario 3D World sells less than Mario Sunshine during the first three years, I win if 3D World outsells Sunshine's first 3 years. Loser get sig controlled for 3 months (punishment might change)

Do you doubt the WiiU? Do you believe that it won't match the GC?

Then come and accept this bet

Nintendo eShop USA sales ranking 2/12/2013 : http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=173615

I expect Nintendo to right the ship and learn from this so, I'm pretty sure I'll be on board. This is the first Nintendo console I haven't owned since the first one in the mid 80's and I don't expect that to continue.

Nope.

I don't buy many consoles year one...

The only ones I bought year one i think was PSP, and N64

Around the Network

The Wii U was the first and last console I buy year one from anyone. It has been proven by every new console that waiting a year allows the console manufacturer to sort out technical issues, the games library becomes decent and the price usually drops by about 20%.

How can anyone in the thread say no unless there not a nintendo fan, you have no idea what the next console will be or what games it will have.

Depends on the launch games. For me WiiU was sold when I've heard on MonHun3Ultimate for March.

The Wii was the only Nintendo console I bought within a year of its release.

AndrewWK said:
Wait! What?? Because of how great the Wii was? The Wii was horrible. I got burned so bad by that thing, and didn´ t want to buy a Wii U at first because of it. But then I got a used one for a good price, and it actually is a decent piece of Hardware with a few nice games.

Wheter I a would buy a Nintendo Console year one again. I think I would, depends on the Hardware and the games.

How was the Wii bad ? It had games  something the PS3 did not have for years.

Wii had a great start and died painfully.
PS3 had a really shitty start and became great.
Xbox good at start and never reailly became great but also not shitty as Wii was in the end.

And back to topic. Probably not.
I also did not buy the WiiU I got it for free and I waited for the 3DS to drop in price and before I bought it. Buying a console with no games is just stupid. Unless you get a really good deal.  (Like I did for a second WiiU I bought it because it was just 170).

Now the console has an "okayish" library and I would have bought it anyways for  MK8 Smash and X and Mario3DWorld.

I will probably never ever again buy something day one  like I never buy any third party games in their first 3 months anymore (they drop in price way to fast for me).

I am patient.

I mean I  played borderlands with a friend when he visited just to finish our session a year later. No problem.