By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Conversation I overheard in Tesco carpark "more children = more dole"

Some analysts speculate that 3-5% of the entire US population is made up of people who follow this behavior and think it is acceptable and normal unavoidable life to depend on the government...Google search it, it's craziness.

Around the Network
soulfly666 said:

Some analysts speculate that 3-5% of the entire US population is made up of people who follow this behavior and think it is acceptable and normal unavoidable life to depend on the government...Google search it, it's craziness.

Due to where I live, this percentage is about a 1/3 (being generous, it's likely higher) of people who make bank like this.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

The only people who don't have a problem with this is are the "do goodies"

the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:
I know it's a problem but i think it's widely blown out of proportion when compared with tax avoidance and stuff like the royal family. Obviously, there are people like in the OP that scrounge off the state but surely more people rely on benefits because they aren't paid enough than those who are too lazy to work. Obviously, it's wrong but really the whole system (welfare, taxes etc.) is rotten anyways.

Blame immigrants all you want, but you can't blame them for all our problems.

I dunno.  I imagine the Royal Family is a lot like college football.

It takes in more money they it costs.

I mean.  The Crown estates brings in more then the soverign grant...

and that's not even counting the fact that the minute you take away the monarchy tourism is going to take a huge hit... as it being the last living monarchy (rich white people) care about is a big tourist draw... and the various royal merchandise and branding on various stuff.

I don't really buy that argument that monarchy drives tourism here. There are so many areas for tourists to see just in London alone (let alone the rest of the UK) that i don't see why one family matters. Tourism won't stop or even go down if England became a republic. 

People come here for our history, our culture, our landmarks. That won't change if we abolished the monarchy. 

I suppose the only thing is that the monarchy is considered "British" when in reality they are all foreigners themselves anyway. Controversial, but i consider them scourgers as well. If people want to single out the poles, romanians, somalis etc as lazy scourgers then the royal family should be obvious especially with the OTT news coverage the royals get. The fact the media when on and on when that baby was born makes me despise them. They are just humans like us, why treat them as gods?

Why should they get all that money for being born into the Windsor family name and nothing else? They should have to work like everyone else. Even if they have a positive impact on tourism, they are such an antiquated and old fashion thing. Do they really have a place in English society anymore? I don't think so

You might not buy the arguement... but market researchers would disagree.  If you want to cut off.

Should people get money just for being born in a certain family?

No... but should you stop that at the cost of benefit to everybody else?

I can't see a reasonable arguement as to why.

the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:

I dunno.  I imagine the Royal Family is a lot like college football.

It takes in more money they it costs.

I mean.  The Crown estates brings in more then the soverign grant...

and that's not even counting the fact that the minute you take away the monarchy tourism is going to take a huge hit... as it being the last living monarchy (rich white people) care about is a big tourist draw... and the various royal merchandise and branding on various stuff.

I don't really buy that argument that monarchy drives tourism here. There are so many areas for tourists to see just in London alone (let alone the rest of the UK) that i don't see why one family matters. Tourism won't stop or even go down if England became a republic. 

People come here for our history, our culture, our landmarks. That won't change if we abolished the monarchy. 

I suppose the only thing is that the monarchy is considered "British" when in reality they are all foreigners themselves anyway. Controversial, but i consider them scourgers as well. If people want to single out the poles, romanians, somalis etc as lazy scourgers then the royal family should be obvious especially with the OTT news coverage the royals get. The fact the media when on and on when that baby was born makes me despise them. They are just humans like us, why treat them as gods?

Why should they get all that money for being born into the Windsor family name and nothing else? They should have to work like everyone else. Even if they have a positive impact on tourism, they are such an antiquated and old fashion thing. Do they really have a place in English society anymore? I don't think so

Of course they increase our tourism. People travel to other countries just to see abandoned castle, having an actual queen living in it is somewhat of a big draw in :P You just have to see all the royal family related merchandise in london to know they benefit tourism. But even if we didn't make a penny of them from it, we still make more money of their land than we pay them. If we were to stop paying them money, everyone's taxes would go up a small bit, not down. They would still be just as well off. More so in fact.

The video Hig posted explains it all perfectly. I couldn't care less about the royal family and their lives, but having them around does bring an extra tone of colour to our culture.

I do agree people shouldn't benefit from just their name, but that's hardly a problem exclusive to them. To be honest Harry and William do a lot more good in the world than the majority of other kids born into rich families.

Around the Network
ViktorBKK said:
These women or parasites or however you want to call them, are not the problem. Welfare is the problem.
A government solution to a problem is always worse than the problem.

No, the problem is the fact that the fittest hoard their wealth while letting the less fit starve and/or struggle like little slaves until they die a broken down, depressed old person. If everyone in this world would chip in and help, we'd all have enough food, houses, cloths etc.

Child benifit isnt a massive amoint. Its £20.30 a week for the first child and about £17ish each child after that. Most of her "earnings" will be CSA payments. You get more if you have lots of kids by different fathers.

prayformojo said:
ViktorBKK said:
These women or parasites or however you want to call them, are not the problem. Welfare is the problem.
A government solution to a problem is always worse than the problem.

No, the problem is the fact that the fittest hoard their wealth while letting the less fit starve and/or struggle like little slaves until they die a broken down, depressed old person. If everyone in this world would chip in and help, we'd all have enough food, houses, cloths etc.

Yup, welfare exists not to have to feel guilty about the people that don't want to run the rate race, living on the streets. And it helps to make them think they found a loophole in the system so they don't rise up in rebellion or start looting.

Salnax said:
Yes, unscrupulous people are going to take advantage of the good. It's a negative side effect of helping people. Either make your good actions more efficient, and decide to become evil. It's fairly simple.

Fortunately those who would choose evil are a vocal minority at best.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I thought that's why we were planning on limiting child benefit to two children per family - I can see why that would cause problems, but overall it's a pretty good decision (got to feel sorry for the children themselves though)

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~