By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony the Undisputable Winner in Home Console sales?

Can PS3 overtake Wii?

Yes 182 34.73%

No 254 48.47%

Maybe 88 16.79%

Total:524
softcoregamer82 said:
prayformojo said:
softcoregamer82 said:
No, they won two generations and Nintendo won three as it stands today. You can't ignore consoles before Sony, unless you're a fan boy. But they have sold more home consoles overall, which is impressive given that Nintendo was around longer.

Nintendo may have won three gens, but the SNES didn't pull ahead of the Genesis until 1994 when Sega was shifting towards their next system.

According to the OP, sales are sales, including the PS3 overtaking the Wii in the same situation 

Oh I know, you're right. But most people don't realize that the SNES was NOT a dominant console and nearly lost.

Around the Network
softcoregamer82 said:

Actually it can.  The Wii was bigger worldwide for several years even though it was abandoned prematurely 

Eh. I think that the sheer fact it was abandoned early works against that argument. Look at the generation leaders before it all the way back to NES and how long they lasted on the market. Look at how long they were relevant for. 

Its all fine and dandy breaking records for 3/4 Years, but if you cant maintain reasonable sales for the next 3/4 then youre gonna have a bad time.

When PS3 released it faced a similar situation to Wii U, the main difference being that while PS3 was tanking the PS2 was still selling plenty of units. The PS2 lasted until the PS3 started "dying". The Wii family doesnt have that luxury. While Wii U is tanking, the Wii is on deaths doorstep.

prayformojo said:
softcoregamer82 said:
prayformojo said:
softcoregamer82 said:
No, they won two generations and Nintendo won three as it stands today. You can't ignore consoles before Sony, unless you're a fan boy. But they have sold more home consoles overall, which is impressive given that Nintendo was around longer.

Nintendo may have won three gens, but the SNES didn't pull ahead of the Genesis until 1994 when Sega was shifting towards their next system.

According to the OP, sales are sales, including the PS3 overtaking the Wii in the same situation 

Oh I know, you're right. But most people don't realize that the SNES was NOT a dominant console and nearly lost.

Indeed.  Sega may have still won in the US or it was very close.  The SNES crushed in Japan though and that pushed it ahead worldwide.

Nintendo: Total sales across all releases (Handheld + Home) = 665.72 Average = 66.57 (10 Consoles) Highest Seller: NDS 154.88
Sony: Total sales across all releases (Handheld + Home) = 432.68 Average = 72.11 (6 Consoles) Highest Seller: PS2 157.68
Microsoft: Total sales across all releases (Home only) = 106.47 Average = 35.49 (3 Consoles) Highest Seller: 360 79.98
SEGA: Total sales across all releases (Handheld + Home) = 70.18 Average = 14.04 (5 Consoles) Highest Seller: GEN 29.54

[Units all in millions]

There, this is the fairest way to do it. Sony has better sales on average and holds the crown for highest selling console, but Nintendo still holds the crown for most units sold overall. I also wanted to add in SEGA to show people that Nintendo are no where near the appalling shape SEGA was in and thus don't expect them to go the way of SEGA.

The Wii has won this gen imo and nothing will change that, even when 360/PS3 surpasses the Wii in sales in X amount of years time.

I also don't see how you came to the conclusion that PS4 has this generation locked down. There's no evidence at all to support that claim.

Also, "winning" a console generation is not like winning a soccer world cup. Its a bit more complex than that. Just looking at LT sales only tells half the story. Not to mention that in this case nobody cares about the "record books".

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network

Sony = Home Console Leaders

Nintendo = Handheld System Leaders

As of now, PS3 hasn't outsold Wii though & PS4 hasn't won the gen. Also, even if PS3 does win it certainly didn't dominate like Nintendo HH's have always done.

Short Answer: Sony lead the consoles but aren't the undisputed winners.

I'm thinking 3 more years and the PS3 will be on top.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Shinobi-san said:
The Wii has won this gen imo and nothing will change that, even when 360/PS3 surpasses the Wii in sales in X amount of years time.

I also don't see how you came to the conclusion that PS4 has this generation locked down. There's no evidence at all to support that claim.

Also, "winning" a console generation is not like winning a soccer world cup. Its a bit more complex than that. Just looking at LT sales only tells half the story. Not to mention that in this case nobody cares about the "record books".

The winner is the most sold of the generation, so if PS3 surpasses the Wii, it will be the winner, just like Mario, Sony consoles are long seller.

Imo, i dont see how you're able to see an other conclusion than PS4 winning the generation. It is simple logic,  PS4 is more popular everywhere, PS4 has Japan,  europe, and US at the moment( and even if microsoft manage to win in US, it wouldnt be enough to reach PS4 level ). all the evidence are pointing PS4 as winner of the generation.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Aerys said:
Shinobi-san said:

The winner is the most sold of the generation, so if PS3 surpasses the Wii, it will be the winner, just like Mario, Sony consoles are long seller.

Imo, i dont see how you're able to see an other conclusion than PS4 winning the generation. It is simple logic,  PS4 is more popular everywhere, PS4 has Japan,  europe, and US at the moment( and even if microsoft manage to win in US, it wouldnt be enough to reach PS4 level ). all the evidence are pointing PS4 as winner of the generation.

Well thats my opinion. And lucky for me theres no set in stone definition on "winner of the console generation"

Im not saying its not likely that PS4 wins this gen but to say that its a definite win is crazy. Look at the PS3 comeback last gen...Most people didnt see that coming. So many things can happen...theres competition coming from everywhere these days. Anything is possible im just saying that its not a gaurenteed victory for PS4 yet. Seems more than reasonable to me. Not to mention that the Xbox One is doing really well too....i think a lot of people just overlook how well it sold and how close it is to PS4 sales.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

PS2 shipped 117 million consoles until March 31 2007 according to official numbers by Sony, so basically sold 40 million more alongside PS3. Obviously PS3 is not PS2, but doesn't need to be. If Wii stops selling and ends with 101-102 million lifetime and PS3 finish 2013 around 82-83 million, it needs 20 million more or less to beat Wii. I think Ps3 will last until end 2018, that's an average of 4 million each year.

It will be close and difficult but PS3 CAN overtake Wii.