By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony the Undisputable Winner in Home Console sales?

Can PS3 overtake Wii?

Yes 182 34.73%

No 254 48.47%

Maybe 88 16.79%

Total:524
Shinobi-san said:
Aerys said:
Shinobi-san said:
The Wii has won this gen imo and nothing will change that, even when 360/PS3 surpasses the Wii in sales in X amount of years time.

I also don't see how you came to the conclusion that PS4 has this generation locked down. There's no evidence at all to support that claim.

Also, "winning" a console generation is not like winning a soccer world cup. Its a bit more complex than that. Just looking at LT sales only tells half the story. Not to mention that in this case nobody cares about the "record books".

The winner is the most sold of the generation, so if PS3 surpasses the Wii, it will be the winner, just like Mario, Sony consoles are long seller.

Imo, i dont see how you're able to see an other conclusion than PS4 winning the generation. It is simple logic,  PS4 is more popular everywhere, PS4 has Japan,  europe, and US at the moment( and even if microsoft manage to win in US, it wouldnt be enough to reach PS4 level ). all the evidence are pointing PS4 as winner of the generation.

Well thats my opinion. And lucky for me theres no set in stone definition on "winner of the console generation"

Im not saying its not likely that PS4 wins this gen but to say that its a definite win is crazy. Look at the PS3 comeback last gen...Most people didnt see that coming. So many things can happen...theres competition coming from everywhere these days. Anything is possible im just saying that its not a gaurenteed victory for PS4 yet. Seems more than reasonable to me. Not to mention that the Xbox One is doing really well too....i think a lot of people just overlook how well it sold and how close it is to PS4 sales.

One is not PS3, PS3 had japan support + europe + good popularity thanks to PS2 + the best first party support of the generation. ( the point making a big difference in sales, i dont see microsoft supporting their console as long as Sony support PS4 on this generation... )

even with all these advantages, PS3 didnt win in US ( mostly because it released 1 year later ) , so it's really difficult to think of a logic way Xbox one couldnt lose when it have any of these advantages.

Microsoft has no cards to win, except in US ( and even here, that's not for sure).

For now, PS4 is winning everywhere while it didnt even released in Japan yet.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network
colafitte said:

PS2 shipped 117 million consoles until March 31 2007 according to official numbers by Sony, so basically sold 40 million more alongside PS3. Obviously PS3 is not PS2, but doesn't need to be. If Wii stops selling and ends with 101-102 million lifetime and PS3 finish 2013 around 82-83 million, it needs 20 million more or less to beat Wii. I think Ps3 will last until end 2018, that's an average of 4 million each year.

It will be close and difficult but PS3 CAN overtake Wii.

And taking 12 years to sell the same amount of consoles that Nintendo sold in ~5 years is truly triumphant...

Judging from this thread, it seems Sony is the 'disputable' winner in home console sales.

marley said:
colafitte said:

PS2 shipped 117 million consoles until March 31 2007 according to official numbers by Sony, so basically sold 40 million more alongside PS3. Obviously PS3 is not PS2, but doesn't need to be. If Wii stops selling and ends with 101-102 million lifetime and PS3 finish 2013 around 82-83 million, it needs 20 million more or less to beat Wii. I think Ps3 will last until end 2018, that's an average of 4 million each year.

It will be close and difficult but PS3 CAN overtake Wii.

And taking 12 years to sell the same amount of consoles that Nintendo sold in ~5 years is truly triumphant...

Judging from this thread, it seems Sony is the 'disputable' winner in home console sales.

Units sold are units sold....

But easy..., I'm not saying PS3 won anything, i was just explaining how ps3 can overtake wii sales.

Aerys said:
Shinobi-san said:

Well thats my opinion. And lucky for me theres no set in stone definition on "winner of the console generation"

Im not saying its not likely that PS4 wins this gen but to say that its a definite win is crazy. Look at the PS3 comeback last gen...Most people didnt see that coming. So many things can happen...theres competition coming from everywhere these days. Anything is possible im just saying that its not a gaurenteed victory for PS4 yet. Seems more than reasonable to me. Not to mention that the Xbox One is doing really well too....i think a lot of people just overlook how well it sold and how close it is to PS4 sales.

One is not PS3, PS3 had japan support + europe + good popularity thanks to PS2. ( i dont think you're talking about Wii U )

even with all these advantages, PS3 didnt win in US ( mostly because it released 1 year later ) , so it's really difficult to think of a logic way Xbox one couldnt lose.

Microsoft has no cards to win, except in US ( and even here, that's not for sure).

For now, PS4 is winning everywhere while it didnt even released in Japan yet.

You making as if PS4 is winning by millions...its not winning by much.Go look at the numbers.

It only takes one or two killer games that push systems to turn the tide. And i think MS will give everything it has to become the industry leader. Given the right strategy MS can do it....they certainly have the resources.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Does everybody on Vgchartz really agree that the console with the most sold units in its entire lifetime automatically becomes the winner of that generation? That's a load of bullshit if you ask me!

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:
Does everybody on Vgchartz really agree that the console with the most sold units in its entire lifetime automatically becomes the winner of that generation? That's a load of bullshit if you ask me!

And you agree that if this was like a cars championship where driver A wins the first 5 races but then he abandons the next 5, but driver B sums in every race winning 2 o 3 races finishing the year with most points and in first position as fair???, or do you think is unfair because driver A (for whatever reason) just competed in 5 races???

Just because PS3 lasted longer, that's not something bad.

colafitte said:
Shinobi-san said:

And you agree that if this was like a cars championship where driver A wins the first 5 races but then he abandons the next 5, but driver B sums in every race winning 2 o 3 races finishing the year with most points and in first position as fair???, or do you think is unfair because driver A (for whatever reason) just competed in 5 races???

Just because PS3 lasted longer, that's not something bad.

Not saying its a bad thing. I just think its a more loaded question to answer. A straight forward analogy to a car race is exactly what im arguing against.

Such a difference is already big, 600 000 units in 1 month, and this is without Japan! The difference will just grow till the big release in Japan that will end all of this.

I dont see what strategy could change the actual situation, Halo is the biggest system seller coming on One, that didnt make Microsoft leader last generation, even with 1 year advantage, so it's not Titanfall, a game on PC/360/One that'll help to do that, it will be one among other middle system seller ....

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Shinobi-san said:

Depends what you describe the 'winner' as I guess, it's already very muddy waters. Right now the only basis of Wii winning is that it sold the most hardware. If in the end PS3 jumps ahead, how can you claim Wii won anything? Because it sold more in a certain time frame?

prayformojo said:
softcoregamer82 said:
No, they won two generations and Nintendo won three as it stands today. You can't ignore consoles before Sony, unless you're a fan boy. But they have sold more home consoles overall, which is impressive given that Nintendo was around longer.

Nintendo may have won three gens, but the SNES didn't pull ahead of the Genesis until 1994 when Sega was shifting towards their next system.

And that is easily explained by the fact that the Sega Genesis was released 2 years earlier than the SNES...

It's completely different from a hypothetical scenario of PS3 outselling Wii.