By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - To ALL those who say GT6 flopped....

sales2099 said:

Why do Sony gamers use Nintendo as a counter? WiiU game as a counter point to a PS3 game. Generational gap, WiiU poor sales contrast to PS3 momentum, and Mario is more evergreen then GT is.

That comparison is very wrong when you look beneath the surface.

New generation ? Many ppl do not but GT6 because they buy PS4 and sell PS3. Others wait for GT7 for PS4.

Think about that.

'

Around the Network
joeorc said:
outlawauron said:

GT has far greater expectations than 800k. The digital number is not included, but what we know from previous cases, the number is no more than 10-15% of its total sale.

think about that for a sec, did the PS2 have advanced online store front for direct consumer purchase to be downloaded direct to the consumer console? that started with the PSP and PS3. aT THE TIME THERE WAS NO ADVANCED INVESTED STRUCTURE FOR THIS. THERE IS NOW, TRYING TO AGAIN SAY THERE IS A DECLINE, OUTRIGHT IS NOT TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THE CHANGES TO THIS SALES ENVIRONMENT, FROM THE ps2 TO NOW. THE FACT THAT THESE SALES CAN BE IN THE MILLIONS OVER TIME, AND CANNOT BE TRACK WORLD WIDE PROVE THAT.

Dude, just let it go. It would still fall well short of GT5 opening week. The factors are all there, you have no need to do this.

It is fun in all to debate here, but you should never feel no real personal need to defend a video game.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
joeorc said:
sales2099 said:

Anybody can dig up excuses. In todays age, anything and everything can be used as a explanation. I doubt PS3 became the digital purchase haven overnight....because it never was.

Look, sometimes these things happen. Its late in the gen, the next gen launched, GT5 sales are saturated and maybe msot don't want to upgrade unless its on PS4. It is any number of factors, but when I say decline, it means the sales are lower then that of GT5. Simple. No excuses. There are plenty. Just deal that the results are what they are.

No big deal, if anything it just means Polyphany just has to try harder next time if they want that 10 million instead of 5 million.

WHAT? LIKE I STATED BEFORE WHERE IS YOUR PROOF? How do you know the digital sales data? show it? How can it be used as an Excuse, when you are the one claiming its not that great when you are the one saying that the sales data is not there to back it uop, when you have yet to prove it!

again: you and other's are trying to cram in sales data that is pretty much incomplete, and trying to call it or imply its a complete picture of the sales data.

"Look, sometimes these things happen. Its late in the gen, the next gen launched, GT5 sales are saturated and maybe msot don't want to upgrade unless its on PS4. It is any number of factors, but when I say decline, it means the sales are lower then that of GT5. Simple. No excuses."

I thought this site was about being as accurate as they can be for the number's they produce? I mean which is it, do you want to be correct or just posture and Agenda? Again you do not have full world wide sales data and not even christmas sales data is through yet.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

KingofTrolls said:
sales2099 said:

Some people consider a flop to be something that performed below expectations.

We all know what that means. Nobody said GT6 wouldn't sell amazing and nobody says it won't make a profit. We don't mean flop in that regard.

But when you look at the past mainline entries in the series, you may then see why people may say that word. This isn't rocket science.

GT5 opened at 2.3 million and GT6 opens at 0.85......you expect people to not say anything wrong happened? What did you expect.....Sony released this at the end of the generation in the spotlight, after GT5 was sold into saturation. Guess GT fans aren't into rebuying sequels as much as Forza gamers are. Maybe FINALLY the average sim fan is starting to see the cracks in the armor and the IP clearly peaked at GT4....perhaps even GT5. Plenty factors to consider.

New Mario - 5x less than Galaxy 2.

UBer giga flop ? 

Anyway, GT6 is nowhere near to GT5 budget. We all know this.

Cracks in the armor ? What exactly is this ? Improved Standard Cars ? More Premium cars than Forza 5 ? 

Ya, cracks in the armor. GT5 Prologue, GT5, GT6, GT PSP.......all have "meh" metas that fall short of its PS1/PS2 bretherin. If you actually read the reviews they explain why they are what they are. I for one am glad PD will have to earn their sales from this point on. This is actually great news.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Flop is definitely not the right word. Disappointment is more appropriate.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
joeorc said:
sales2099 said:

Anybody can dig up excuses. In todays age, anything and everything can be used as a explanation. I doubt PS3 became the digital purchase haven overnight....because it never was.

Look, sometimes these things happen. Its late in the gen, the next gen launched, GT5 sales are saturated and maybe msot don't want to upgrade unless its on PS4. It is any number of factors, but when I say decline, it means the sales are lower then that of GT5. Simple. No excuses. There are plenty. Just deal that the results are what they are.

No big deal, if anything it just means Polyphany just has to try harder next time if they want that 10 million instead of 5 million.

WHAT? LIKE I STATED BEFORE WHERE IS YOUR PROOF? How do you know the digital sales data? show it? How can it be used as an Excuse, when you are the one claiming its not that great when you are the one saying that the sales data is not there to back it uop, when you have yet to prove it!

again: you and other's are trying to cram in sales data that is pretty much incomplete, and trying to call it or imply its a complete picture of the sales data.

"Look, sometimes these things happen. Its late in the gen, the next gen launched, GT5 sales are saturated and maybe msot don't want to upgrade unless its on PS4. It is any number of factors, but when I say decline, it means the sales are lower then that of GT5. Simple. No excuses."

I thought this site was about being as accurate as they can be for the number's they produce? I mean which is it, do you want to be correct or just posture and Agenda? Again you do not have full world wide sales data and not even christmas sales data is through yet.

"Prove this prove that". The absense of proof doesn't make your doubts any more right. PS3 digital sales were never monsterous. It wouldn't close the gap. Period. This is just common sense.

Granted its just week 1. But its still a decline. Calm down and just accept that certain factors were at play here.

Soleron said:
The Fury said:

GT will sell in the long run, we all know that

No, we don't. It's released for PS3 right as PS4 is out.

So? Out of the 80 million PS3 owners out there, will they all just stop buying games for their owned console even if they can't get a PS4?

If anything it was bad timing, or maybe great timing, it has everyone who can't get a PS4 to sell itself to, it's the biggest game released for the PS3 this holiday season. God of War 2 sold 4 million after the PS3 came out. 

Hmm, pie.

joeorc said:
outlawauron said:
joeorc said:
outlawauron said:
It's a flop because it's a mainline GT. It'll still profit easily, just isn't going to live up the standard of the series.

what's the digital sales of the game? what's those number's like?

Just my opinion though, but

calling any game that sales 800,000 copy's in such a very short time without full sale through data a "flop" is pretty far reaching no matter how you slice that, and this is with incomple sale through data at that.

GT has far greater expectations than 800k. The digital number is not included, but what we know from previous cases, the number is no more than 10-15% of its total sale.

think about that for a sec, did the PS2 have advanced online store front for direct consumer purchase to be downloaded direct to the consumer console? that started with the PSP and PS3. aT THE TIME THERE WAS NO ADVANCED INVESTED STRUCTURE FOR THIS. THERE IS NOW, TRYING TO AGAIN SAY THERE IS A DECLINE, OUTRIGHT IS NOT TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THE CHANGES TO THIS SALES ENVIRONMENT, FROM THE ps2 TO NOW. THE FACT THAT THESE SALES CAN BE IN THE MILLIONS OVER TIME, AND CANNOT BE TRACK WORLD WIDE PROVE THAT.

Stop melting down for a second, and actually read what I said. Past cases, we have two GT examples (which sold waaaaaaay less than 10%) and hundreds of other games that available both digitally and retail. There's really no need to get so defensive and banking on magical digital sales which are always lower than you hope for major titles.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Soleron said:
joeorc said:

Do you have evidence the digital percentage is or can be greater than 10-15% then? Because if not it's reasonable to assume from all past digitally available games on home consoles that that will be the case.

How so is it reasonable to assume? 1st christmas sales or after christmas sales has not  gone through yet for sale through data, not to mention new digital stores for PSN just opened up on Amazon, thus there may be purchase content through Amazon that is not even tracked yet if it can be at all for sale through data, to top it off as the number's increase over time for network purchase content can increase even over retail, because more and more consumer's are being retail groomed for such with smartphones and tablets, that may also not saying this is a fact but it could have direct effect on changeing consumer's buying habits on all thing's digital. or they may be more inclined to purchase digital copy's now since they may become more prone to because that may become their standard in buying habit's, aside from collectors, that may be a trend for purchase. Again not saying its factual, im just pointing out it could play or be playing out as a factor in digital sales of any software right now.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

The Fury said:
Soleron said:
The Fury said:

GT will sell in the long run, we all know that

No, we don't. It's released for PS3 right as PS4 is out.

So? Out of the 80 million PS3 owners out there, will they all just stop buying games for their owned console even if they can't get a PS4?

If anything it was bad timing, or maybe great timing, it has everyone who can't get a PS4 to sell itself to, it's the biggest game released for the PS3 this holiday season. God of War 2 sold 4 million after the PS3 came out. 

Id say it has more to do with marketing. Its hard to have mass awareness of GT6 when all you see is XB1 and PS4 ads.

Also id say its due to maybe a reluctance to upgrade in the current gen? Like Forza 4 compared to Forza 3. Sure 4 had many improvements over 3, but many viewed the game as not necessary to upgrade.

And maybe the meta? Im sure most thought that GT5 meta was a mulligan for the series. Now with GT6 it appears that PD is settling in a trend. Meta scores are known to affect the legs of a game, whether we like it or not.