By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - To ALL those who say GT6 flopped....

Some people consider a flop to be something that performed below expectations.

We all know what that means. Nobody said GT6 wouldn't sell amazing and nobody says it won't make a profit. We don't mean flop in that regard.

But when you look at the past mainline entries in the series, you may then see why people may say that word. This isn't rocket science.

GT5 opened at 2.3 million and GT6 opens at 0.85......you expect people to not say anything wrong happened? What did you expect.....Sony released this at the end of the generation in the spotlight, after GT5 was sold into saturation. Guess GT fans aren't into rebuying sequels as much as Forza gamers are. Maybe FINALLY the average sim fan is starting to see the cracks in the armor and the IP clearly peaked at GT4....perhaps even GT5. Plenty factors to consider.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

GT is a franchise that sells the most in Europe and Others, the 2 regions VGC tracks the worst. So i will ask people to wait some weeks, and not take this numbers right now as fact (in fact, GT6 has been uptracked 50k since first numbers, is now at 850k). Probably GT6 will end with more than a million 1st WW.... And this is retail only, GT6 launched digitally too, it's perfectly possible that 20-30% sales are digital (I bought GT6 digitally...).

So if it ends selling 1'3-1'4 million 1st week retail+digital, and PD announce something around 3 million shipped and digitally sold at the end of the year, can be called a flop??

DirtyP2002 said:
Well... 1/3 of the opening week of GT5 is a flop for GT6.
You have to see things in perspective and this is by far the worst selling GT game in the history of this franchise.

And this is not even a spin-off, prequel or something like that. This is a full and complete main-title that sold so poor.

Sounds like Damage Control to me.

wait how do we know for sure? I mean with PSN what is the sales of Digital copy's for the Game world wide?

trying to claim that its this , when you do not have the complete sales data is just that incomplete data!

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

It's a flop because it's a mainline GT. It'll still profit easily, just isn't going to live up the standard of the series.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

If GT6 is a flop, then, we can consider Mario 3D world like a disaster

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network
colafitte said:
GT is a franchise that sells the most in Europe and Others, the 2 regions VGC tracks the worst. So i will ask people to wait some weeks, and not take this numbers right now as fact (in fact, GT6 has been uptracked 50k since first numbers, is now at 850k). Probably GT6 will end with more than a million 1st WW.... And this is retail only, GT6 launched digitally too, it's perfectly possible that 20-30% sales are digital (I bought GT6 digitally...).

So if it ends selling 1'3-1'4 million 1st week retail+digital, and PD announce something around 3 million shipped and digitally sold at the end of the year, can be called a flop??

exactly the fact that there is no real tracking of digital download copy's means there is no clear number's to see how many were purchased world wide. So the very fact the retail chain number's world wide is this high  could bode well for the sale through number's for the franchise when all said and done. Some may have waited to purchase this Game, GT is known for its legs in sale through over time anyway. anything can change, but calling it this early is kinda shortsighted In my Opiniion

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Soleron said:

800k won't allow it to make money back. We've all heard how it takes years for them to make a single car interior. That's not compatible with a Puppeteer or Tearaway budget and therefore cannot use the unit sales magnitude of "flop" that applies to them.

Yeah, because 800k is a set figure, no one else is going to buy it after this and it's not like they had a previous title they worked on before they could get those interiors from.

People need to get over the fact is a game doesn't well a certain amount it fails. GT will sell in the long run, we all know that, even if it doesn't reach the heights of GT5 or 3, lets say it only sells 5 million. 5 million would still be hugely profitable probably.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Soleron said:

800k won't allow it to make money back. We've all heard how it takes years for them to make a single car interior. That's not compatible with a Puppeteer or Tearaway budget and therefore cannot use the unit sales magnitude of "flop" that applies to them.

Yeah, because 800k is a set figure, no one else is going to buy it after this and it's not like they had a previous title they worked on before they could get those interiors from.

People need to get over the fact is a game doesn't well a certain amount it fails. GT will sell in the long run, we all know that, even if it doesn't reach the heights of GT5 or 3, lets say it only sells 5 million. 5 million would still be hugely profitable probably.

Nobody is denying profitability. But it certainly shows a decline in the franchise.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

outlawauron said:
It's a flop because it's a mainline GT. It'll still profit easily, just isn't going to live up the standard of the series.

what's the digital sales of the game? what's those number's like?

Just my opinion though, but

calling any game that sales 800,000 copy's in such a very short time without full sale through data a "flop" is pretty far reaching no matter how you slice that, and this is with incomple sale through data at that.

I AM BOLO

ps:

joeorc said:
DirtyP2002 said:
Well... 1/3 of the opening week of GT5 is a flop for GT6.
You have to see things in perspective and this is by far the worst selling GT game in the history of this franchise.

And this is not even a spin-off, prequel or something like that. This is a full and complete main-title that sold so poor.

Sounds like Damage Control to me.

wait how do we know for sure? I mean with PSN what is the sales of Digital copy's for the Game world wide?

trying to claim that its this , when you do not have the complete sales data is just that incomplete data!

That is a excuse and we all know it. PSN digital sales....I wouldn't put too much stock in that. Sony gamers are retail obsessed. That is your culture. Sure, you could maybe estimate a couple hundred thousand at best, but this does little to bridge the gap between this and GT5's opening.