By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Confirmed? Lowest selling year for 3DS? Who needs that 3rd year peak ...

3DS is killing it right now man.

its doing amazing.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
Around the Network
ganoncrotch said:
Augluae said:
The problem of the 3DS is the same as the Wii U, except it's not coming from the same reasons.

The 3DS has a very rude and ever growing and evolving smartphone game market to compete against.

But don't worry they are in the same bag of trouble as handheld: people are more and more interested in PC/Console games that mobile/handheld game because of the screen size, hardware and attraction limitation.

So the 3DS is the first handheld to have lost it appeals, sure, because it followed up on the DS which was a really bad idea, although the new 3D concept and very low priced made it a good sale for the first two years.

http://www.vgchartz.com/

should take a look on the front page when regarding the system having lost it's appeal btw, the massive thing wrong with your argument is the same issue that people had for ages with Soccer moms buying a wii, sure it's sales which could be a Xbox or a ps3 but those people wouldn't have bought a console if not for the fact that a lot of people happen to have a smart phone it's just their phone, sure they might buy some extra upgrades for a simple tap on the screen, basic type game, but these are not people who have choosen this type of gaming over owning a 3DS. 

But yeah, sells 666k last week and people talking doom about it, amazing.

I wouldn't trust vgchartz 3ds numbers if I were you - they overtracked the 3ds yb 400,000 in November in the US.

bosslug said:
Thread title: "Lowest selling year for 3DS yet?"
***in terms of shipments
What is this thread trying to prove

It's not trying to 'prove' anything. What is wrong with you people? This is a thread analysing sales (yes shipments are sales too) on a sales focused website and you people are bitching why?

You simply don't like that the 3DS isn't being posted in a positive light or something? I think 14m~ for the year is pretty damn good personally.

toot1231 said:

its doing amazing.

Who said otherwise? Did you read the OP?

I think in some way the 3DS November NPD numbers were more heartbreaking to Nintendo than the Wii U ones.

They weren't bad sales per se, but I think Nintendo was banking on this fall period being the 3DS' defining moment which would sell well enough to cover up weakness in the Wii U business, which they probably knew wasn't going to be great.

Given everything they put into the 3DS this year, I think they would've liked 1 million+ for November NPD especially with the $99 2DS Black Friday deals.

Around the Network
Seece said:
toot1231 said:

its doing amazing.

Who said otherwise? Did you read the OP?

no i actually didnt.

im just saying.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
KylieDog said:
BuckStud said:
That is ludicrous.  The 3DS has outsold every other “video game” system nearly every week this year.  If this is the last gen for a Nintendo handheld, then it’s also the last gen for all the other systems.....right?

360 - in its 8th year on market...
PS3 - in its 7th year on market...
WiiU - a failure...
Vita - a failure...

So 3DS being on top isnt saying much.

I honestly think saying how it's its Xth year on market is a bad argument simply because of the fact that those Xth years it was on market were still before the next generation came out.  I think it's more telling that PS3's 7th year on market is about 80m, and 3DS 3rd year is about 40m.  The 3DS is regardless selling faster than both of those systems were to have achieved half of their total sales in less than half of the time it took them to get there.  Especially so when, as people here are always insisting, the mobile market is "killing" the 3DS.  That means that the 3DS is stronger than the PS3 and 360 end of story, doesn't it?  Regardless of whatever year on market they were in.

Honestly, 3DS is doing pretty well regardless of how you want to twist it.  Even if it's tracking under DS, it is absurd to think that any system this gen will do those numbers.  Especially given how the market has been lately.

I'm not worried about the 3DS, just picked one up and loving the games. I am a little worried about the successor of the 3DS though, with the WiiU struggling Nintendo need a popular handheld.

The chart is clearly biased so I fixed it up.

ganoncrotch said:
Augluae said:
The problem of the 3DS is the same as the Wii U, except it's not coming from the same reasons.

The 3DS has a very rude and ever growing and evolving smartphone game market to compete against.

But don't worry they are in the same bag of trouble as handheld: people are more and more interested in PC/Console games that mobile/handheld game because of the screen size, hardware and attraction limitation.

So the 3DS is the first handheld to have lost it appeals, sure, because it followed up on the DS which was a really bad idea, although the new 3D concept and very low priced made it a good sale for the first two years.

http://www.vgchartz.com/

should take a look on the front page when regarding the system having lost it's appeal btw, the massive thing wrong with your argument is the same issue that people had for ages with Soccer moms buying a wii, sure it's sales which could be a Xbox or a ps3 but those people wouldn't have bought a console if not for the fact that a lot of people happen to have a smart phone it's just their phone, sure they might buy some extra upgrades for a simple tap on the screen, basic type game, but these are not people who have choosen this type of gaming over owning a 3DS. 

But yeah, sells 666k last week and people talking doom about it, amazing.

yes only here (VGC) a system sells more than twice their competitors, still someone can do a doom thread about it, it's just amazing :)

34 years playing games.