By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Confirmed? Lowest selling year for 3DS? Who needs that 3rd year peak ...

Wouldn't 2013 count till end of march? Or are you doing calander years?

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Where's the data coming from? Nintendo's quarterly reports, or...?

ganoncrotch said:
NiKKoM said:

People spending more and more money on gaming on tablets and smartphones.. Mobile gaming is huge.. in Japan has taken over traditional gaming..
Japanese mobile game industry (feature phone + smartphone) was $5.1 billion for 2012. Japanese consoles/handhelds software + hardware was $4.6 billion for 2012..

the second graph shows a shift in mindset.. the portable gaming market has evolved.. what else would it represent?

and who would you imagine were the people taking part in this Survey? this survey formed by appannie a website which "We provide app ranking data and high quality mobile analytics - app store download, app store sales and other insightful app store data for iOS & Android." well it almost seems like apps being the most popular thing ever is these guys business. I would definately imagine this survey was also mailed out to gamers who have a 3ds or Vita since they wouldn't have been able to download the app of "how much do you love apps?"

... it's in the picture.. Source IDC... they did the survey not App Annie.. they used the data of an IDC survey..  its pretty simple Mobile usersbase is much much larger because of women.. like it or not they too spend money on gaming.. not on the gaming you might like but they do spend it..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

ganoncrotch said:
NiKKoM said:
ganoncrotch said:

Read the title of this survery, I mean read what it is actually about, what these bars represent.

People spending more and more money on gaming on tablets and smartphones.. Mobile gaming is huge.. in Japan has taken over traditional gaming..
Japanese mobile game industry (feature phone + smartphone) was $5.1 billion for 2012. Japanese consoles/handhelds software + hardware was $4.6 billion for 2012..

the second graph shows a shift in mindset.. the portable gaming market has evolved.. what else would it represent?

and who would you imagine were the people taking part in this Survey? this survey formed by appannie a website which "We provide app ranking data and high quality mobile analytics - app store download, app store sales and other insightful app store data for iOS & Android." well it almost seems like apps being the most popular thing ever is these guys business. I would definately imagine this survey was also mailed out to gamers who have a 3ds or Vita since they wouldn't have been able to download the app of "how much do you love apps?"

the first graph shows sales data though, so from there you can see how much more revenue the nongaming devices are making. Not including apps with ads, while including digital and physical for the consoles

I mean in Japan it already happend last year:

Japanese mobile game industry (feature phone + smartphone) was $5.1 billion for 2012.
Japanese consoles/handhelds software + hardware was $4.6 billion for 2012.

It's the reason why Japanese Devs are so Mobile minded.. the grow and the potentional grow is massive..

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=76119359&postcount=1

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
Wonktonodi said:
ganoncrotch said:

the first graph shows sales data though, so from there you can see how much more revenue the nongaming devices are making. Not including apps with ads, while including digital and physical for the consoles

You do however have to remember, that that revenue is spread across a massively larger number of different apps meaning there is also far more competition for that revenue. Also considering the hundreds of millions of smartphones and tablets out there, revenue per user is also much lower. Console owners are prepared to pay more per game, and also more likely to then pay extra money on DLC.

So although a much smaller market, this is why even on Vita some devs have found great success.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
Wonktonodi said:
ganoncrotch said:

You do however have to remember, that that revenue is spread across a massively larger number of different apps meaning there is also far more competition for that revenue. Also considering the hundreds of millions of smartphones and tablets out there, revenue per user is also much lower. Console owners are prepared to pay more per game, and also more likely to then pay extra money on DLC.

So although a much smaller market, this is why even on Vita some devs have found great success.

absolutley the revenue is spread and for every angry birds there are thousands of unknows. though once again most those aps can have ads as a source of revenue as well there they can make more money off the people who don't but the games than the people who do.

The main reason I posted was because ganocratch doesn't seem to understand the mobile market is already bigger than the handheld market.

Note that the size of a market doesn't stop those like myself with a Vita from enjoying it tremendously, it just means there will be less games made for it.

I find it funny how people are surprised there is more money generated by smartphones/tablets then handhelds. I mean, come on people, use comon sense. A 1billion+ instalbase vs a 46million instalbase. Not rocket science here. Jesus.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

brute said:
Wouldn't 2013 count till end of march? Or are you doing calander years?

Yeah, is this calendar or fiscal year we're talking about, I'd like to know that too.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

The problem of the 3DS is the same as the Wii U, except it's not coming from the same reasons.

The 3DS has a very rude and ever growing and evolving smartphone game market to compete against.

But don't worry they are in the same bag of trouble as handheld: people are more and more interested in PC/Console games that mobile/handheld game because of the screen size, hardware and attraction limitation.

So the 3DS is the first handheld to have lost it appeals, sure, because it followed up on the DS which was a really bad idea, although the new 3D concept and very low priced made it a good sale for the first two years.