By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Confirmed? Lowest selling year for 3DS? Who needs that 3rd year peak ...

*In terms of shipments

2011: 14.58m shipped
2012: 14.81m shipped

2013 so far

5.13m.

Meaning to beat 2011 it needs 9.45m shipped.

If we look at what has sold for the Q already, we have US at 1.22m, Japan at 1.03m and Europe (VGC figures, at 1.49m).

Hard to believe Europe of all places is 3DS's strongest region this holiday, there are no 3DS titles in the top 30 in the UK chart! Possibly overtracked a few hundred K.

Anyhow, it's predicting the rest of the years sales that's the tricky part.

Last year 3DS saw a very impressive uptick in the US, Dec was 150%~ over Nov sales. Using this same rise, the 3DS could see 1.9m?!! Hey, it could happen. I think a conservative estimate would be 1.3m - 1.5m however. It could shock us either way.

Japan is difficult too, it was much higher this time last year (211k vs 122k this year) anyhow, 3DS went on to sell another 1.26m. I guess 1m would be a safe bet despite being down yoy 50%~ currently.

Europe, below US for sure. So remains to be seen. 1m - 1.3m though.

Sold so far

US: 1.22m
Japan: 1.03m
Europe: 1.2m~

Prediction

US: 1.3m - 1.5m
Japan: 1m~
Europe: 1m - 1.3m

+ 10% for elsewhere (judging by US, Japan and Europe totals end of 3rd Q, VGC shows 90%+ sell through in those regions)

Gives you 7.4m - 7.9m sell through.

+1m~ for shipments/stock on shelves.

If 3DS did sell between 7.4 - 7.9m, it likely wouldn't ship the 9.45m needed.

Agree? Disagree?

How can this not be 3DS' top year so far with Pokemon and 2DS???

Around the Network

3ds doom thread?

edit - I mean what is the point of this thread sorry?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:
3ds doom thread?

Not doom, it's still very impressive given the mobile climate ;)

Don't instantly dismiss something just because it isn't favourable, it'd be very interesting if 3DS' third year is below its first two with Pokemon and 2DS.

Edit - This is a site to talk about sales, what the hell do you think the point is?? If this thread is pointless then so are 99% of threads on this site.

Seece said:
ganoncrotch said:
3ds doom thread?

Don't instantly dismiss something just because it isn't favourable, it'd be very interesting if 3DS' third year is below its first two with Pokemon and 2DS.

Edit - This is a site to talk about sales, what the hell do you think the point is?? If this thread is pointless then so are 99% of threads on this site.

No I just mean that you could probably write a similar thread now for each system? I mean the ps3 had a great year compared to the other 2 systems of it's generation but it would be more than likely down from its previous years.

Rather than how it competes with it's own last year massive burst of sales and launch of the 3DSxl which happened in the middle of the year, combined with offering free game downloads to people who bought a 3dsxl before christmas. I just mean, sure the 2ds launched as a budget way into buying 3ds software but they aren't really pushing it as much as they wanted people to buy the big daddy last year. It's just the cheap option.

Also mobile climate? comparing a dedicated gaming handheld to ownership of a mobile phone in 2013 which is capable of playing a video game of some sort?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Nintendoomed confirmed by sece

Around the Network

NPD 3DS numbers surprised me more than those of the Wii U.

ganoncrotch said:
Seece said:
ganoncrotch said:
3ds doom thread?

No I just mean that you could probably write a similar thread now for each system? I mean the ps3 had a great year compared to the other 2 systems of it's generation but it would be more than likely down from its previous years.

Rather than how it competes with it's own last year massive burst of sales and launch of the 3DSxl which happened in the middle of the year, combined with offering free game downloads to people who bought a 3dsxl before christmas. I just mean, sure the 2ds launched as a budget way into buying 3ds software but they aren't really pushing it as much as they wanted people to buy the big daddy last year. It's just the cheap option.

Also mobile climate? comparing a dedicated gaming handheld to ownership of a mobile phone in 2013 which is capable of playing a video game of some sort?

PS3 is a system in its 7th/8th year, of course it's declining ..... what a boring thread that would be, the console has been declining for ages now. If you want you can go make that thread though, people will tell you that's pointless.

Yeah because free game downloads will sell 3DS to the masses as much as 2DS at $99 plastered all over bus stops. No, 2DS has been marketed and has sold well, it's making up over half of 3DS sales (or more I think). 3DSXL and free game downloads is no match for 2DS and Pokemon, you're having a laugh!!

If ou're one of those that doesnt think mobile/tablets has eaten into the handheld market then lets not even discuss it further because we'll get nowhere.

ganoncrotch said:

Nope you compare the amount of money spend on games on mobile vs handhelds..

Handhelds are getting slaughtered

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

LurkerJ said:
NPD 3DS numbers surprised me more than those of the Wii U.

I thought the 3ds numbers were good, they were up year on year which is never a bad thing. They were only surprising if you actually believed this sites numbers for the us which i learned not to do a while back till the npd is released each month.

The numbers were disappointing given 1) 2DS 2) Zelda 3) Pokemon 4) Lots of new bundles 5) some nice black Friday deals. I don't think Nintendo can do another handheld next generation. It has to be either a gaming smartphone or a hybrid to survive in the changing market (like the Wii U gamepad that you can take anywhere not just a short range or wii fi)