By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Diablo 3 on consoles a flop or mega flop?

Tagged games:

???

Its a hit! 67 50.00%

Flop! 42 31.34%

Mega Flop! 24 17.91%

Total:133
Blood_Tears said:
They did a good job with the port actually. Also, there were reports of it actually playing better on consoles. If it launched on the same day as PC, sales would have been much better. Not higher then PC of course but definitely would have done better.

Indeed! I own both version of the game (PC and PS3) and also am part of the friends and family Reaper of Souls beta. I daresay that the console version is better. 

This, I stole from grandpa...It's called soap.

Around the Network

VGchartz tracking for Diablo III on PC is at 3.22 million. Seems kinda low given the numbers people are throwing around in here? Of course they also have the publisher wrong . Activision didn't own Blizzard in 1996 :)

Also the original Diablo was gimped for release on Playstation and is tracked at .58 million. So as far as I'm aware - the Diablo 3 ports are actually Blizzards MOST successful outing on consoles ever ! Kinda shocking right?

Compare it to how Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance did on consoles. (I think the GC version is under tracked BTW). Its a VERY similar game based on what was a huge RPG franchise at the time. Dark alliance did 1.24 million WW and DA2 did about half that. I think Diablo 3 will exceed 1.5 million by the end of 2014.

It sold another 35 K on Ps3 and 27K on XB360 last week. Its legs are decent enough given there have been no price drops and marketing support was all concentrated at the launch.

niallyb

niallyb said:

VGchartz tracking for Diablo III on PC is at 3.22 million. Seems kinda low given the numbers people are throwing around in here? Of course they also have the publisher wrong . Activision didn't own Blizzard in 1996 :)

Also the original Diablo was gimped for release on Playstation and is tracked at .58 million. So as far as I'm aware - the Diablo 3 ports are actually Blizzards MOST successful outing on consoles ever ! Kinda shocking right?

Compare it to how Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance did on consoles. (I think the GC version is under tracked BTW). Its a VERY similar game based on what was a huge RPG franchise at the time. Dark alliance did 1.24 million WW and DA2 did about half that. I think Diablo 3 will exceed 1.5 million by the end of 2014.

It sold another 35 K on Ps3 and 27K on XB360 last week. Its legs are decent enough given there have been no price drops and marketing support was all concentrated at the launch.

VGC doesn't track digital sales. WoW subscribers who got themselves an annual pass got it for free and the rest was mostly sold through battle.net.

Thanks.  Im surprised that only 25% of Diablo 3 sales came from retail but given how hardcore Blizzards fanbase is I guess I shouldn't be....

niallyb

Blood_Tears said:
They did a good job with the port actually. Also, there were reports of it actually playing better on consoles. If it launched on the same day as PC, sales would have been much better. Not higher then PC of course but definitely would have done better.

If it launch together with PC, it'd sell much better. Let's not forget the massive hype D3 got when it released on PC. Everyone was extremely excited about it. The PS360 versions? They were crawling somewhere in the shadows of GTA5, so they really did very well.

@Mr Puggsly - believe it. I'm not gonna touch PS3 version of D3, cause I'm waiting for the much better PS4 version. Though a Vita version would be the only one that'd have me running to the store. Or just a Diablo 2 for Vita... Eh...

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network
Scisca said:
Blood_Tears said:

If it launch together with PC, it'd sell much better. Let's not forget the massive hype D3 got when it released on PC. Everyone was extremely excited about it. The PS360 versions? They were crawling somewhere in the shadows of GTA5, so they really did very well.

@Mr Puggsly - believe it. I'm not gonna touch PS3 version of D3, cause I'm waiting for the much better PS4 version. Though a Vita version would be the only one that'd have me running to the store. Or just a Diablo 2 for Vita... Eh...

Well since your getting the PS4 version you can play it on Vita with remote play.

Blood_Tears said:
Scisca said:
Blood_Tears said:

Well since your getting the PS4 version you can play it on Vita with remote play.

Yeah, doesn't really cut it for me. I'm very scared that this whole remote play will once and for all kill any 3rd party support for Vita. I hated the idea from the moment they announced it.

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

Scisca said:

Well I bought Diablo 3 for 360 on day one because I was really looking forward to playing it with friends. The expansion is likely to come to 360 as well. If you're willing to wait so long, it seems to me you have mild interest in the game.

Maybe the 8th gen versions can sell better with legs, but I'm not expecting great sales on those platforms either.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I passed on the PC version due to online aspect. Rented it for PS3 for local co-op. Enjoyed it and am waiting for PS4 version to purchase it.

Mr Puggsly said:
Scisca said:

Well I bought Diablo 3 for 360 on day one because I was really looking forward to playing it with friends. The expansion is likely to come to 360 as well. If you're willing to wait so long, it seems to me you have mild interest in the game.

Maybe the 8th gen versions can sell better with legs, but I'm not expecting great sales on those platforms either.

I am very much interested in the game, but I'm not willing to double dip and I want to get the best version out there. Also, does that mean that someone who isn't throwing himself at a game day 1 is a worse customer? The monies is the same

Of course these versions won't sell huge numbers, it's an old game that has already sold way over 10 mil. But it will sell well for what it is.