By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mario 64 Proves That Fans Are Wrong Saying "It's Fine For A Launch Title"

Tagged games:

Do you remember they kept delaying the shit out of the N64 though. Maybe it was because Mario 64 took so long to complete?

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

fighter said:

Well, if you can prove that good games were the norm for launch games then you have a point.

Some example of launch titles games that I played...

• Super Mario World
  • F-Zero
  • Pilotwings
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Tekken Tag Tournament
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Street Fighter EX3
  • Super Monkey Ball
  • Halo: Combat Evolved
  • Project Gotham Racing
  • Perfect Dark Zero
  • Project Gotham Racing 3
  • Resistance: Fall of Man
  • Wii Sports
  • Soulcalibur
  • AeroWings
  • Sonic Adventure
  • Pilotwings 64
  • Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Jumping Flash!
  • Rayman
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Panzer Dragoon
  • Daytona USA
  • Altered Beast

You can disagree but most of these games are better than the actual launch titles with few exceptions.

Edit - I think I forget some good launch titles in the list.

Dead Rising 3, Resogun, and AC4 are better than several of these games though.  I agree with your OP but come on.

little disappointed. thought the title said "mega 64"
anyway I agree but really we're comparing nintendo, its hard to even compete with their games several years into a generation, much less even begin comparing launch titles

The only great launch titles I can think of from the top of my head are:
Super Mario 64
Wii Sports
Twilight Princess
KNACK!!!

Nintentacle2 said:
The only great launch titles I can think of from the top of my head are:
Super Mario 64
Wii Sports
Twilight Princess
KNACK!!!

You better not be joking.

Around the Network

Nice thread for a change on VGChartz.

I agree with some others it all comes down to patches and DLC and not because it is launch titles. The gamers become the beta testers. Look at last gen, many games well after launch still had bugs and missing content.

Hell most modern games I insert these days require an update lol. I never minded udpating on PC mainly because it was easy to store update patches on a CD-R back in the day lol or spare hdd. With consoles my biggest fear is your system dies after the gen ends and the services are down. So when you replace your system can't even patch your games to work correctly.

Even IW have become complacent and think they are GOD. COD Ghosts on PS4 should have been 1080p without the frame rate issues at launch. Like you would think something that critical would have been noticed before release.

XBOX ONE, hugely disappointed in Forza 5. what they showed at E3 and what we got is a completely different game. IT seriously brought back those memories of the Aliens game that was raped of its features and polish lol.

Wii U is a good example where a lot of the launch games were just done poorly, Mainly the ones with content missing compared to say PS360. Was it really necessary to cripple that version? Granted the Wii U isn't selling that well but at the same time publishers are digging a whole by pissing of the consumer. However it is understandable because no publisher wants to spend more than bare minimum to get a port onto Wii U, so they tell the dev just get a running game on it. It is a catch 22 scenario we got here. Spend more money and games will probably still sell poorly but it works well, or cut out features spend less money and no one buys it cause they pissed off. Look at the new Batman game, it is way worst then the port of the launch Batman game, are people going to blame that as a launch title? or outsourcing to some crap D rated developer to make it?

Different times, when people got their devkit for consoles 3-4 generations ago they could make a full game in 6-12 months. Crash/Spyro/Tomb Raider/resident Evil/ and so on were franchises that on PS one got a yearly release..

This days when devs get the devkit they have to play it save and know that they have to cut out a lot of content and that content is going to be DLC later when they finished it.

Another example...

GT6... I'm loving the game but you saw the huge list of future features?

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt6/

In the "Update" part (bottom of the page) you see the best and innovative feature will be release with a post launch path:

+ Community
+ Quick Match
+ B Spec
+ Course Maker
+ Data Logger
+ GPS Visualiser
+ Mobile Devices

Some of these feature are truly next-gen like the GPS Course Maker.

PS. You need to buy the game... it is a 9.9/10 experience... even the old tracks seems new and exciting.

You skipped over one important fact about Mario 64 and the N64 in general.... the system was delayed almost a year, from its original release date of November 1995 to June 1996 in Japan and September 1996 in North America, because the games needed more time, and there were some issues with the hardware & chipset.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64#Development

I'm sure if Sony and M$ delayed PSOne (see what I did there?) 6-12 months to iron out all the hardware issues and give their developers more time to polish their games, they'd have smooth launches and been even more successful than they already are.

Also, let's not look at the Mario 64 and N64 launch in general with rose-tinted glasses... even AFTER the delay, Nintendo still only had 2 games ready when the system launched in Japan and North America, and the third party selection wasn't very impressive either... a whopping total of 8 games were released in North America by the end of 1996, most of which were forgettable arcade ports with the exception of Wave Race 64.

Compared to most of the launch titles of the PS1/Saturn/N64 days, PS4 / Xbone launch titles look absolutely amazing.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Nintendo didn't feel the need to rush their consoles back then, the SNES launched two years after the Genesis and look how it turned out. Nowadays the console manufacturers are rushing everything out the door to beat their competitors to the market.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!