By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mario 64 Proves That Fans Are Wrong Saying "It's Fine For A Launch Title"

Tagged games:

kupomogli said:

Mario 64 sucks in my opinion.  Artificially extending play time by forcing you to go back through the same ridiculously small stage over and over again to collect stars. 

Every thread I see you in all you do is hate Nintendo...

I bet you didn't even play these games.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
Around the Network

It might have something to do with the tech behind systems getting more and more complex and ever-changing. That "Why the Gaming Industry is About to Crash" article that's going around touches on this pretty well. Though I'm sure a lot of it really is just bad planning, as even sub-par graphics don't matter when a game is good. Even the original Super Mario Bros. paled in comparison to what the NES could do, but it didn't matter, because the game was fun. It's like no one even tries anymore, they just try to play it safe.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

NightDragon83 said:

I'm sure if Sony and M$ delayed PSOne (see what I did there?)

Yes, I see it and I don't like it... there is already a PSOne out there, some people will get confused if this expression for "PS4 + Xbox One" gets popular.

Why not XP4, X1P4, PX4 or P4X1?

I really think it's time that gamers stop accepting mediocrity. Yes, it is possible to have launch hardware with a low failure rate. Yes, it is possible to have a GOTY launch title. Patches and DLC has made the industry lazy and instead of consume ring rebelling against it, they're accepting it and they shouldn't.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Yes, exceptions should be the norm! Truly astounding logic utilised right here :^)

Around the Network
Jon-Erich said:
I really think it's time that gamers stop accepting mediocrity. Yes, it is possible to have launch hardware with a low failure rate. Yes, it is possible to have a GOTY launch title. Patches and DLC has made the industry lazy and instead of consume ring rebelling against it, they're accepting it and they shouldn't.

I agree to an extent. All three of the hardware launches have been lazy from all three sides. 

You are focusing exclusives. AC4, NBA2K, and add in other games are the reason people want to buy 8th gen. Also BF4 is fun, not perfect but fun, and yes it is my 1st BF game I guess that makes not biased.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Soundwave said:
Jon-Erich said:

I agree to an extent. All three of the hardware launches have been lazy from all three sides. 

With Nintendo, I really don't see Wii U's launch as a laziness issue. For them, it was more of a bad marketing/bad timing issue. When compared to the original Wii's launch, Wii U had better quality games. Most of those games were third party ports that nobody was going to buy the system for, but they were still quality games. Nintendo had quality games. With the original Wii, most of of the launch titles consisted of low quality, rushed games. There were a few good games including Wii Sports, Twilight Princess, Trauma Center, Excite Truck. What made the Wii launch so special however was Wii Sports and Twilight Princess. Wii U didn't have that. Nintendoland was good for what it was, but it lacked the simplicity of Wii Sports and din't appeal to the core gamer. While New Super Mario Bros. was great, it wasn't as appealing as a new Zelda game.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

I stand behind the message of this thread. People are trying to argue saying that Mario 64 or whatever is a broken game by today's standards? What the fuck!? At the time, most of the launch games mentioned were fucking mindblowing and felt like something from the future. "By today's standards", EVERY launch game that pushed the envelope would be flawed!

Halo, Soul Calibur, Mario 64, F-Zero, Call of Duty 2 (I think was a launch game) Ridge Racer--these games raised the bar on day one. Until fairly recently, most consoles launched with at least one "must have" AAA title. Meanwhile, I'm trying to make myself get excited enough to want to buy a PS4 or Xbox One and what I see on shelves just isn't doing it. Maybe EVERYBODY (including Wii U) launched before they were ready.

d21lewis said:
I stand behind the message of this thread. People are trying to argue saying that Mario 64 or whatever is a broken game by today's standards? What the fuck!?

Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say "Mario 64 or whatever", I was talking about the Saturn version of Daytona USA, a racing game with undeniable performance issues. That was exactly that kind of game that was rushed to be in stores at console launch date and would be patched later nowadays. With no patches, SEGA fans had to sugarcoat it.

Super Mario 64 was great.