By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mario 64 Proves That Fans Are Wrong Saying "It's Fine For A Launch Title"

Tagged games:

You got a point. Good games without (major, numerous) bugs can be done.
For launch many games nowdays are rushed because they became so complex that it takes more time to make everything good or great. And seeing as patches is usual, most won`t really think twice in releasing a game that needs the extra work but didn`t get it.

Around the Network
Wright said:

C'mon, Ethomaz. Be a man and give your opinion about X1's games as well

Wait for selnor.

SNES had incredible launch experiences from 3rd parties too. Castlevania 4 and FFIV were incredible and made the great first party stuff look weak in some ways. I miss the days of picking up a system day 1 and being blown away by the new experience.

Don't forget the Wave Race 64 lauched with the system as well, and was an AMAZING game.

NES launched with Super Mario Bros / Duck Hunt.

SNES launched with Super Mario World AND F-Zero.

Even Dreamcast had great games like Soul Calibur.

The Original Xbox launched with Halo, a console-defining experience.

Gamecube launched with Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader.

There are so many examples to give that harken a time when developers actually gave a shit about finishing games before releasing them. I just don't understand the laziness and greed from them and publishers alike. I want professional artists to release games, not the kind of careless shit that happens nowadays. There is no excuse for unfinished games at launch.

ethomaz said:

fighter said:

Well, if you can prove that good games were the norm for launch games then you have a point.

Some example of launch titles games that I played...

• Super Mario World
  • F-Zero
  • Pilotwings
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Tekken Tag Tournament
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Street Fighter EX3
  • Super Monkey Ball
  • Halo: Combat Evolved
  • Project Gotham Racing
  • Perfect Dark Zero
  • Project Gotham Racing 3
  • Resistance: Fall of Man
  • Wii Sports
  • Soulcalibur
  • AeroWings
  • Sonic Adventure
  • Pilotwings 64
  • Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Jumping Flash!
  • Rayman
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Panzer Dragoon
  • Daytona USA
  • Altered Beast

You can disagree but most of these games are better than the actual launch titles with few exceptions.

Edit - I think I forget some good launch titles in the list.

Many listed titles were good, but not THAT great... Luigi's Mansion, Perfect Dark Zero, Jumping Flash...

Some titles were ports of arcade machines, for example Daytona USA and Virtua Fighter. The content was already there, they had "only" to fit it to the new home consoles. And with frame rates around 20 fps, a racing game like Daytona USA would be considered broken nowadays.

Around the Network

The original Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World and Wii sports are the finest lunch titles ever. Nothing comes close. There is no room for opinions on this. It is what it is. If you disagree, you´re simply wrong.

LurkerJ said:
Wright said:

C'mon, Ethomaz. Be a man and give your opinion about X1's games as well

Wait for selnor.

if you mean the same selnor i mean=no need to wait.He has given us his opinion about xbox1 several dozen times and according to him it looks like the best launch line up ever.

Mr Khan said:

Nintendo just tends to roll with stronger launch titles for their home consoles, with GameCube being an outlier (though Smash Bros arrived fast enough to almost be launch) (far less so on handhelds as DS and 3DS demonstrate)

At the same time, it's true that launch titles are held to lower standards, and that's perfectly understandable. Paucity of titles makes a weaker title less of a liability from a business perspective.

Luigi's Mansion was a launch title!

Anyway I agree with you ethomaz. These launch exclusives are weak.*
*Except Knack of course

I think your defense for your stance is extremely flawed. Development was much more simple and the fact you only have one example really shows it's the exception and not the rule.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
I think your defense for your stance is extremely flawed. Development was much more simple and the fact you only have one example really shows it's the exception and not the rule.

One example? There are a lot more.