By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The official January NPD Thread

Hang on, WTF!

Why has Wii play sold more than the Wii in January? I can understand some longer time owners wanting Wii play now (perhaps some December Wii buyers)
but to go from Wii play being about half of Wii each month to selling more is very odd.

Around the Network

lol. It would seem the news of the disparity has spread across the internets, and we're starting to see a flood of new members who only registered to flame VGC.

Oh well, I'll be leaving for the weekends now. Hopefully some kind of a consensus will be reached by sunday evening. =P

starcraft said:

Wrong.....NPD is the ONLY viable PROFESSIONAL video game sales tracking firm in the US market. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft all have little choice but to acknowledge them as the primary third-party tracker, and doing so is in no way an indication of their perveived trust in NPD's numbers.

Your argument makes no sense honestly.

Do you believe that if any of the big three thought that NPD was not accurately tracking their sales they would still give credit to it with official press releases EVERY MONTH?

Do you believe, just to make an example, that if Sony thought that NPD had been undertracking  their numbers for all 2007 based on their internal datas they would accept those?

Do you believe that if Microsoft knew they outsold both Wii and PS3 this month they would have accepted NPD datas putting them in last place?

NPD is the most accurate source we have for US sales data,denying that bring nowhere except to delusion.

Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
v
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
v Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz

You can't really knock VGchartz for being off from NPD when everything has a shortage. While I'm of the opinion that NPD is the far more accurate source for American numbers I think VGchartz has done well in comparison quite a few times.

But people need to understand how things work during a shortage. Manufacturers like Sony and MS don't ship the same number of consoles evenly to each retail chain and every district. Some districts blatantly prefer one console over another and MS, Sony or Nintendo will normally ship their units where the demand is highest. So if ioi is getting data from a small sample of retail chains his data wont be as good when things are out of stock because things aren't shipped evenly, some stores receive a lot of DS units while other stores probably haven't gotten any last month. Actually I know that to be the case for a lot of Gamestops in America. It would be impossible to know which stores are getting what so in times of a shortage the numbers are gonna be way off like this month.

Hopefully ioi can expand his data samples to better the situation. but I wont be surprised if it's the same deal next month.

Around the Network

Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
v
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
v Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz
Boo vgchartz

HyperionFF said:
starcraft said:

Wrong.....NPD is the ONLY viable PROFESSIONAL video game sales tracking firm in the US market. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft all have little choice but to acknowledge them as the primary third-party tracker, and doing so is in no way an indication of their perveived trust in NPD's numbers.

Your argument makes no sense honestly.

Do you believe that if any of the big three thought that NPD was not accurately tracking their sales they would still give credit to it with official press releases EVERY MONTH?

Do you believe, just to make an example, that if Sony thought that NPD had been undertracking their numbers for all 2007 based on their internal datas they would accept those?

Do you believe that if Microsoft knew they outsold both Wii and PS3 this month they would have accepted NPD datas putting them in last place?

NPD is the most accurate source we have for US sales data,denying that bring nowhere except to delusion.

Ok mate start reading, thinking and THEN writing.  You said that NPD was "reliable."  I would agree that NPD is the most accurate (to use your new word) source available, but calling them a 'reliable' source when they don't track Toys r Us or Walmart and up to three seperate consoles (Wii, DS, 360) are experiencing  shortages is a BIG stretch. 

I repeat that it is the ONLY professional tracking firm monitoring US sales.  When it puts out sales 'statistics' each month, the console manufacturers can hardly say 'well, er....no they are wrong because, um" due to the fact there is no other third party professional firm to compare them too, and the fact console manufacturers don't track sales to consumers.  When shipment figures come out for all consoles, I think we will find that BOTH NPD and VGChartz were off substantially for at least one or two consoles, rendering your original argument (that NPD is universally 'reliable') moot.

And FYI, in either November or December (I think the latter) Nintendo didn't release a response to the NPD data..... 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

HyperionFF said:

I totally agree with you here, but it should also be noted that VGC has been more accurate than NDP on a few occasions. The possibility of this being one of those cases, or more likely that both are slightly less off in opposite directions, is especially high due to all the analysts being closer to VGC,  and NPD numbers begin really, really weid for the reasons already mentioned.

It's still more than likely that NPD is closer, but it probably isn't as simple as "VGC is wrong lol".

TWRoO said:
Hang on, WTF!

Why has Wii play sold more than the Wii in January? I can understand some longer time owners wanting Wii play now (perhaps some December Wii buyers)
but to go from Wii play being about half of Wii each month to selling more is very odd.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I think you can buy Wii play seperately not necessarily with the Wii.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

DragonLord said:
360 better get their crap in gear before GTAIV or they won't be moving ANY extra consoles with its release...that would be a waste of all that money for exclusive content!

Oh, they will...

And the X360 price drop is impending. Perfectly matched to the release of GTA IV of course, and then things between the X360 and the PS3 will become like they used to be, and should be.