By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The official January NPD Thread

rukusa said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

When did PS3 come into it?  Sorry to burst your bubble dude but I don't care how much PS3 sold, i'm entirely focusing on the DS sales disparity between NPD and VGC

Im speaking in general, and I know where your preferences lie, you dont need to clarify shit.

The DS numbers are indeed surprising, however after all, they may be experiencing shortages. I mean, thats what you guys are pulling out right now as a definitive arguement.

And they may not be experiencing shortages and NPD may be totally off base, and VGC may be more accurate again

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

No. I asked 1st

Answer mine.

DMeisterJ said:
No. I asked 1st

Answer mine.

Can't answer it until mine is answered, how many times has NPD been wrong and never said anything?

See that's the thing if VGC is wrong on this, they'll adjust in the next few days, but if NPD is wrong they'll never say a word, so I find them more suspect than VGC and less trustworthy, if ioi is wrong he'll admit it and make changes

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

omg. A_T you are like a broken record w/ this shit. You have one excuse and use it over again. So now npd will be wrong forever cuz they were wrong 1 month? That means vg is wrong.

Im curious to see if Nintendo will give some PR about this months results.

Perhaps not though. We'll see.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
omg. A_T you are like a broken record w/ this shit. You have one excuse and use it over again. So now npd will be wrong forever cuz they were wrong 1 month? That means vg is wrong.

Ah but again, like I said if ioi is wrong he'll admit it, NPD won't, so who do I choose to trust more?  VGC

Also I didn't say NPD is wrong for Jaurary, I said they've been wrong in the past and that I am suspicious of the accuracy of Janurary numbers

Do you know what's 'right' and 'wrong'? Do you work for npd? NO! Do you count every console that leaves every store? NO! the best we have is npd. And you are using the same tired excuse because by your logic, vgc shouldn't be believed.

Don't respond to this... You and your excuses are dismissed

@ A_T

you choose vgc because it supports your bias.

Avinash_Tyagi said:

If NPD is so accurate why were they wrong in December?

You already mentioned they were off for Wii in Dec, but do you remember the details for the other two consoles?

DMeisterJ said:
Do you know what's 'right' and 'wrong'? Do you work for npd? NO! Do you count every console that leaves every store? NO! the best we have is npd. And you are using the same tired excuse because by your logic, vgc shouldn't be believed.

Don't respond to this... You and your excuses are dismissed

Did I say NPD is wrong for Janurary? nope, I said they've been wrong in the past and that I am suspicious of the accuracy of Janurary numbers, they may be right, but considering they have been wrong so recently, I question whether they are right at the moment.

On the other hand I am more trusting of VGC numbers because unlike NPD VGC has shown a willingness to admit to mistakes and change data to reflect new data.  

I mean in a few days we might find that ioi was wrong, in which case he'll adjust, but if NPD is wrong and VGC was right, they will never admit it and never change their data, and yet somehow NPD is the best?