By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The official January NPD Thread

sharky said:
Pretty funny how 360 and Wii beat PS3 the last 14 months in a row (not a joke, actually 14 months in a row) and these NPD threads averaged 2-3 pages during that time. Suddenly Sony wins and it's 13 pages long.

Seems some people like to ignore the NPD's when they're not winning I guess..

well its because people got used to that now that this is somthing different they discuss it alot

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
brute said:
sharky said:
Pretty funny how 360 and Wii beat PS3 the last 14 months in a row (not a joke, actually 14 months in a row) and these NPD threads averaged 2-3 pages during that time. Suddenly Sony wins and it's 13 pages long.

well its because people got used to that now that this is somthing different they discuss it alot

The numbers are different every month, as well as the order of the various systems. Sometimes PS2 beats PSP, sometimes not.

So that isn't it. 

@ Sharky

I wholeheartedly agree. This is the longest NPD thread to date. And the first time the PS3 hasn't came in dead last, and was within 6k of the Wii. But that's not the reason why this thread is so long (So much sarcasm in that last sentence, I can hardly breathe).

Why not trust NPD numbers ? Don't tell me vgchartz estimates are more accurate than NPD figures...

hardstyle said:
Why not trust NPD numbers ? Don't tell me vgchartz estimates are more accurate than NPD figures...

NPD does the same thing VGC does, except with a larger sample, but both are estimates based on their samples, however sample size isn't the only decider in accuracy

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
sharky said:
brute said:
sharky said:

The numbers are different every month, as well as the order of the various systems. Sometimes PS2 beats PSP, sometimes not.

So that isn't it. 

but ps2 and psp arent competing against each other

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Well NPD is considered publicly as the most accurate, by Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft. So why not trust their report ?

Because ps3 couldn`t outsell x360 in Usa, even though x360 had shortages. That is unreal. lol. =))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan, you are so happy nowadays aren't you? ^^