By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The official January NPD Thread

@ rukusa

Yeah... I totally agree. Now the PS3 is tracked above 360 and close to Wii and they're wrong. I don't see IGN calling them wrong. But I guess it'd be hard to handle, the PS3 actually posting good numbers. Now everyone is an expert.

Around the Network
HyperionFF said:
starcraft said:

Wrong.....NPD is the ONLY viable PROFESSIONAL video game sales tracking firm in the US market. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft all have little choice but to acknowledge them as the primary third-party tracker, and doing so is in no way an indication of their perveived trust in NPD's numbers.

Your argument makes no sense honestly.

Do you believe that if any of the big three thought that NPD was not accurately tracking their sales they would still give credit to it with official press releases EVERY MONTH?

Do you believe, just to make an example, that if Sony thought that NPD had been undertracking  their numbers for all 2007 based on their internal datas they would accept those?

Do you believe that if Microsoft knew they outsold both Wii and PS3 this month they would have accepted NPD datas putting them in last place?

NPD is the most accurate source we have for US sales data,denying that bring nowhere except to delusion.

If NPD is so accurate why were they wrong in December?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

@ A_T

So in dec. Wii wasn't first, 360 second and PS3 last?

And VGC has been 'wrong' before... many times. Should I not believe VGC #s cuz they were wrong b4?

DMeisterJ said:
@ rukusa

Yeah... I totally agree. Now the PS3 is tracked above 360 and close to Wii and they're wrong. I don't see IGN calling them wrong. But I guess it'd be hard to handle, the PS3 actually posting good numbers. Now everyone is an expert.

I think its DS numbers that people are suspicious about, and its not like they haven't been wrong before DM

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

DMeisterJ said:
@ A_T

So in dec. Wii wasn't first, 360 second and PS3 last?

And VGC has been 'wrong' before... many times. Should I not believe VGC #s cuz they were wrong b4?

No Wii sold more in december than NPD reported they did, if you recall ioi had to adjust back up to his original figures

VGC actually says when they are wrong, NPD doesn't, how many times have they been wrong, do you even know? 

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Some people still haven't learned to accept results. As a PS3 owner I watched the monthly NPDs and didn't shake out comments in disbelief. Of course I was disappointed, but what could I do to help? Definitely calling out sources for being wrong because some numbers were lower.

This generation seems to become a bumpy ride, and people should just get used to it.

At least the smart console supporters just sit back and observe whats going on. Contributing a positive reaction when the time is called for.

The people who cant handle the PS3 outselling some specific platform resulting in metldown are definitely delivering some amusing shit.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

Answer my second question A_T

Should we not beleive VGC anymore? we've been wrong b4

rukusa said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Some people still haven't learned to accept results. As a PS3 owner I watched the monthly NPDs and didn't shake out comments in disbelief. Of course I was disappointed, but what could I do to help? Definitely calling out sources for being wrong because some numbers were lower.

This generation seems to become a bumpy ride, and people should just get used to it.

At least the smart console supporters just sit back and observe whats going on. Contributing a positive reaction when the time is called for.

The people are who cant handle the PS3 outselling some specific platform resulting in metldown are definitely amusing shit.

When did PS3 come into it?  Sorry to burst your bubble dude but I don't care how much PS3 sold, i'm entirely focusing on the DS sales disparity between NPD and VGC

DMeisterJ said:
Answer my second question A_T

Should we not beleive VGC anymore? we've been wrong b4

Answer mine, how many times has NPD been wrong?  Do you even have any idea?

VGC actually says when they are wrong, and adjusts, but what about NPD 

Avinash_Tyagi said:

When did PS3 come into it?  Sorry to burst your bubble dude but I don't care how much PS3 sold, i'm entirely focusing on the DS sales disparity between NPD and VGC

Im speaking in general, and I know where your preferences lie, you dont need to clarify shit.

The DS numbers are indeed surprising, however after all, they may be experiencing shortages. I mean, thats what you guys are pulling out right now as a definitive arguement.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.