By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The official January NPD Thread

Griffin said:
PS3 domination confirmed, just wait until next month when the PS3 outsells all the other systems combined

LOL yeah right. Wii sales already shot way up last week.. they will continue throughout February and March. 

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
Aj_habfan said:
Stever89 said:
Hyperion said:
I think NPD released these numbers to make VGC lose credibility. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. :p Or it's just me and my paranoia.

Yeah when you look at those numbers it almost seems plausible, if only when looking at DS numbers. How could the DS go from nearly a million a week in Dec to 60k a week in Jan, unless there's major supply problems? And both Patchter and simExchange had much higher (100k and 200k, respectively). It seems really crazy. Numbers were actually all over the place this month.

Console Pachter
SimExchange
VGC NPD (US only)  NPD Total (US*1.1)
Wii

DS
 251k 276k
X360
 230k 253k
PS3
200k201k
 269k 296k
PSP
268k 230k 253k

Looking at last year's data, I'd say that the DS is probably way overtracked. PS3 is most likely undertracked.The rest are ok. I'd still say VGChartz is quiet accurate.

CrazzyMan said:

400-500$ costing PS3 sold on pair with 250$ costing Wii that was supply constrained. And even then it was beated WW by the Wii 2:1. VICTORY =))

Fixed.

Did you just say it was beated? Then say fixed?

That is like the definition of failure.

I think he was trying to mimic crazzyman.

Or maybe it was because he said it "beated it" which isn't proper English, it's something a 4 year old says. Then he said "Fixed" when he really made a mess of the sentence.

Which is exactly what crazzyman would have said.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Fila if you take out DS, PS3 was the only platform over 20% different from NPD.  Wii, PSP were quite close.  PS2 and Xbox 360 were closish.  DS was god awful this month, although I have a couple theories as to why.  PS3 was 30% different than NPD.  My point was that without Toys R US and Walmart hard data, NPD has 60-65% marketshare, so if they have bad estimations in that 30-35% in relation to real sales (what people buy vs. what NPD estimated they buy) you have 3-5% sampling error, and even having samples from portions of every retailer in America would produce a similar level of error.  However, those potential bad estimations and sampling issues can't explain our DS number.  What I was saying was that 30% difference in reported figures for PS3 on VGC vs. NPD could be in reality as low as 20% (or higher than my estimate) based on the nature of sampling and NPD's coverage.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

morningstar dow jones and cnnmoney.com reports 375000 wii sold:

http://news.morningstar.com/newsnet/ViewNews.aspx?article=/DJ/200802141957DOWJONESDJONLINE001124_univ.xml

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200802141957DOWJONESDJONLINE001124_FORTUNE5.htm

"The best-selling console in January was the Wii, which sold 375,000 units, compared with 269,000 for the PlayStation 3 and 230,000 for the Xbox360. NPD analyst Anita Frazier said the gap separating the three rivals was the smallest seen in many months."

what the hell ist right??? 

Almost certainly a typo, Bright Eyes.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

I'll LOL if NPD original reports had a "typo" in them (i.e. 275 vrs 375). I find it hard to believe the Wii did 375, and the DS 250...

Screwing with VG confirmed, if so?

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

@The Source: Any notice about ioi making adjustments at the PS3 and DS numbers?

(PS3 selling more than 360)

Wait... WHAT!!!?!?!??!

(PS3 only being 4k away from Wii)

Woah.... what the fuck!?!?!? Easy! there EASY!

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

I question the accuracy of the NPD numbers, ioi changed for them from December, only to change back when the financials came out and proved them wrong.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I lol at you guys. Microsoft basically confirm shortages for February as well yet somehow the 360 sold nearly 100k just last week? Yeah, sure it did... More crow for Vgchartz coming this time next month as well it seems.