By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone else happy with 3D World commercial failure?

toot1231 said:

I honestly think 3D world is better than Galaxy.

Its the most fun ive had in a game in a long time. All the people complaining you have never play it so please do us all a favor and play it. It truly is amazing.

For me, 3D World is tied with Galaxy. I'm almost 100% done.

Around the Network
Nintentacle said:
toot1231 said:

I honestly think 3D world is better than Galaxy.

Its the most fun ive had in a game in a long time. All the people complaining you have never play it so please do us all a favor and play it. It truly is amazing.

For me, 3D World is tied with Galaxy. I'm almost 100% done.

imagine galaxy with co op o.O

700k in two weeks, with a 4 million install base: failure is not the word that comes to my mind.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

All these doomsayers are going to feel pretty fucking foolish when they see that with just two weeks of sales, going up against the super-hypeped launches of two major consoles, that 3D World still has sold over 700k copies now. Considering that we are now in the Christmas season, and there are a lot of people that put off Xmas shopping til the last minute, the game is going to sell over 1 million copies within just the next couple of weeks.

And the Wii U itself still has a very good shot at reaching the 5 million units LT that I said it would likely reach by the end of 2013, minimum, anyway.

2013 was a "dropped the ball" year for Nintendo and Wii U. But they have set themselves up pretty nicely these last few months to have a pretty strong 2014 if they play their cards right.

DevilRising said:

2013 was a "dropped the ball" year for Nintendo and Wii U. But they have set themselves up pretty nicely these last few months to have a pretty strong 2014 if they play their cards right.

Ya the drought for the first half of the year really hurt them and killed all momentum they had from its launch. It actually didnt have a bad list pf exclusives, they were just far too spread out and if there hadnt been so many delays they could have averaged 1 exclusive per month.

Jan-Wi Fit U

Feb-Rayman Legends

March-Lego City Undercover

April-Pikmin 3

May-Wonderful 101

June-Game & Wario

July-New Super Luigi U

August-Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

September-Sonic Lost World

October-Wii Party U

November-Super Mario 3D World

December-Mario & Sonic at the Sochi Winter Olympics

While many of those games arent huge sellers it would at least have given Wii U a steady stream of exclusives and I feel it could have stayed above 50k/week for the whole year.

2014 shouldnt have such a big drop off in the early months with Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, and possibly Smash Bors releasing in the first half of the year. Ive accepted that Wii U will never sell like Wii and will most likely end in 3rd place but it still has a chance of selling a respectable amount of consoles and staying relevant.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Commercial failure is a perception...

It has sold over 706,000 copies. That makes it the 3rd best selling Wii U game to date according to stats on this web site. Only Nintendoland and New Super Mario U have done better.

Also according to this site it is the 76th best selling game of the year on all platforms... That means that NBA 2K13 on PS3, Saints Row IV on PS3, Beyond on PS3, Crysis 3 on 360, SplinterCell Blacklist on 360, and many other games cannot be considered commercial successes on a given platform because they all have sold less this year and have been out much longer.

Nintendo games don't tend to light up sales in the first week and then see a 90% drop the second week. Relative to the install base, Nintendo games tend to start slow and continue with very long selling cycles.

It has done well for the platform but the fact is, despite recent buzz about it being one of the best Mario games in years, Nintendo didn't advertise to the gamer and really hasn't when it comes to their home consoles in years hence the current situation and one of their biggest franchises being on the outs because few gamers trust the console and the families they are targeting probably don't know it exists.

Meanwhile the 3DS seems to have a more traditional approach in how it promotes itself and the games and that seems to be doing much better.

Seriously i really love Mario 3d world, i just dont understand what People see in the game that they can hate.

The attention to detail, even the footprint at the beginning next to mountain...

It just doesnt get into my head how can you hate that lovely game

KylieDog said:

3. Percentages only sound good when you don't have the numbers.  Looking at the actual numbers, SM3DW and WiiU have done terrible.

700k, two weeks. Does not look terrible to me

Click HERE and be happy 

EricFabian said:
KylieDog said:

3. Percentages only sound good when you don't have the numbers.  Looking at the actual numbers, SM3DW and WiiU have done terrible.

700k, two weeks. Does not look terrible to me

add another 0 and its still terrible to him lmao!