By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone else happy with 3D World commercial failure?

Soundwave said:
oniyide said:
Soundwave said:

Wii U is a flop, Mario 3D World is not to blame.

That's like blaming the star player of a sports team who has nothing to work with on his team but a bunch of scrubs.

3D World would've sold 20+ million on the Wii, more than either Galaxy game. It's just that Nintendo made so many catastrophically stupid decisions with the Wii U that they've crippled any chance of a game like 3D World carrying the system. Also fickle casuals have competely betrayed Nintendo.

3D World is IMO the second best game Nintendo has made since the 1990s (post-Ocarina of Time days) ... alongside Super Mario Galaxy. I would edge it over SMG2 and Metroid Prime (GCN). 

kind of a harsh word dont you think?

Maybe a bit. But I've always likened the casual audience to the hot Paris Hilton wannabe girl at the night club who loves to party and post selfies on Twitter all day. She's rich, good looking, young, and knows it. 

Nintendo one day is the "nice guy" at the bar who just got fed up with not getting any attention from girls that he decided to start dancing like a mad man and became the life of the party. To his shock, he even caught the eye of Paris Hilton Girl and they partied together for a night. 

But alas, at heart, Nintendo isn't the guy Paris Hilton Girl wants. He wants a relationship, Paris Hilton Girl just wants a fun distraction, she has 10 other guys always orbiting around her trying to impress her, but really the only guy she really wants is Apple (the big time alpha male). 

Nintendo shows up at the nightclub the next week hoping to impress Paris Hilton girl but finds she's "over" that as she has the attention span of a 6-year-old and barely acknowledges him. 

Nintendo wanted a relationship/marriage type situation with casuals, casuals just want to "party". Nintendo got suckered in by the rush of those casual profits, not realizing it wasn't sustainable. 

Nice metapher. However I think Nintendo hasn't tried to reach the casual market (yet?). At least I haven't noticed any effords. They delayed WiiFit U and they gave us Wii Sport as download game. (I somehow have the feeling that casuals prefer retail over download ...)

So I can totally understand, that "Paris Hilton" is not intrested ...

Right now Ubisoft seems to be more interested to cater to the cauals. At least I have seen Wii+WiiU adds for Just Dance 2014.

Around the Network
oniyide said:

what else are they supposed to do? if not Mario then what?

Diversify the library to attract other people who don't like the Mario box?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Soundwave said:
oniyide said:
Soundwave said:

That's like blaming the star player of a sports team who has nothing to work with on his team but a bunch of scrubs.

3D World would've sold 20+ million on the Wii, more than either Galaxy game. It's just that Nintendo made so many catastrophically stupid decisions with the Wii U that they've crippled any chance of a game like 3D World carrying the system. Also fickle casuals have competely betrayed Nintendo.

3D World is IMO the second best game Nintendo has made since the 1990s (post-Ocarina of Time days) ... alongside Super Mario Galaxy. I would edge it over SMG2 and Metroid Prime (GCN). 

Maybe a bit. But I've always likened the casual audience to the hot Paris Hilton wannabe girl at the night club who loves to party and post selfies on Twitter all day. She's rich, good looking, young, and knows it. 

Nintendo one day is the "nice guy" at the bar who just got fed up with not getting any attention from girls that he decided to start dancing like a mad man and became the life of the party. To his shock, he even caught the eye of Paris Hilton Girl and they partied together for a night. 

But alas, at heart, Nintendo isn't the guy Paris Hilton Girl wants. He wants a relationship, Paris Hilton Girl just wants a fun distraction, she has 10 other guys always orbiting around her trying to impress her, but really the only guy she really wants is Apple (the big time alpha male). 

Nintendo shows up at the nightclub the next week hoping to impress Paris Hilton girl but finds she's "over" that as she has the attention span of a 6-year-old and barely acknowledges him. 

Nintendo wanted a relationship/marriage type situation with casuals, casuals just want to "party". Nintendo got suckered in by the rush of those casual profits, not realizing it wasn't sustainable. 

Oh wow I'm getting the fuck outta this thread lol. First time from you too. XD

Well I see that this game sold to roughly 20% of Wii U owners in Germany 1st week. What a flop!

Week ending Nov 30:

Super Mario 3D World (WiiU): 706,722

I guess SM3DW isn't really a commercial failure afterall. It will pass 1 million in sales long before this year has past.

Around the Network
Incubi said:
Week ending Nov 30:

Super Mario 3D World (WiiU): 706,722

I guess SM3DW isn't really a commercial failure afterall. It will pass 1 million in sales long before this year has past.

This is what i have been saying. You cannot make a thread after one weeks numbers saying something is a commercial flop. If it would have sold 200k at this point then yes it would have been an accurate statement. Thats 700k plus whatever digital sales after two weeks. Its doing fine. Im sure two or three people in this thread will start to now argue that 700k after two weeks is a bomb. 

Soundwave said:
oniyide said:
Soundwave said:

that was always going to be the case, long before WIi U was even thought of. Anybody who thought otherwise was living in a dream world. I dont put the blame on the casuals, thats like getting mad at a tiger for eating people, its in their nature. IMHO they were never going to keep them for numerous reasons, low attention span, but really that group does not care about games like we do. Plus their are only so many types of games they are interested in and how many Wii Sports knockoffs can you make. Hell you can look at the games for Wii and see the sales for certain series dropping. Deca Sports and Carnival games to name two and now JD. Ninty should have done a better job of at least sustaining the core audience, the people who actually care about games and just dont buy stuff in the holidays.

Pavolink said:
oniyide said:

what else are they supposed to do? if not Mario then what?

Diversify the library to attract other people who don't like the Mario box?

alot easier said than done, and IMHO i dont have faith that they CAN do it

I am under the belief that Mario should be retired for a few years or more BUT, if and when it happens, console Mario's should always be way more ambitious. Leave the 2D for handhelds where that sort of thing belongs.

Besides, the only reason we got 3D World is because Nintendo, under Iwata, has turned into a cheap company. They were able to use the same assets and design concept with 3D World. Had they developed something revolutionary like Galaxy? The costs would have been insanely higher.

700k globally so far.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---