By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is completely out of touch with reality.

This is my second major disapointment involving this game, the first one was Retro's big secret project being this instead of Prime 4.

I srsly have no idea what they were thinking. As closer as we got to the VGX, the more and more I was expecting this to happen. But it seemed so stupid for me that I just could'nt believe it. Sadly it was true.

No one is excited for Cranky Kong. The worst thing is that trolling Metroid pin that Reggie was wearing (that I instantly noticed). Made me hope for a Metroid announcement. When Geoff said that surely Cranky was'nt all that Nintendo had to show, it gave me hope. Then Reggie says ''offcaurse we got something else to show, A OTHER DK STAGE''. The fuck?!

Eveything would have been better, Zelda, Smash, MK, a story trailer for X... The worst thing is that with these announcements, VGX was so terrible that Nintendo had the chance to steal the show. Can you imagine what Nintendo being able to be the star of the VGX combined with all the talk about SM3DW being by far the best next gen game right now. Can you imagine the good press right before Christmas? sigh.

The only good thing about this interview was Geoff acknowledging the fact that Reggie seriously dispointed alot of ppl tonight right in front of his face, that was priceless and to this I have thank him.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
oniyide said:
I wouldnt even call it shining in platformers. You got a 2d Mario that doesnt improve much on the last couple of marios they made. a 3d one, ok ive heard good things. point for that. Rayman, which is good, but not really exclusive. a mediocore Sonic, and a DK game incoming.

NSMBU may not improve much on prior games, but the standard of those prior games is already very high, so it's still a very good game.

3D World is one of the best platformers I have ever played, and I have played a lot, being a fan of the genre who started gaming in the SNES era.

As for DK, it's the direct sequel to another one of the best platformers I've ever played.

Then there's Rayman; the definitive version of a spectacular game.

Wii U will be untouchable in platformers, like Wii was.

We've already seen how far platformers have gotten the Wii U. They don't sell enough systems. I mean come on dude, only 4 million in a full year??

curl-6 said:
oniyide said:
I wouldnt even call it shining in platformers. You got a 2d Mario that doesnt improve much on the last couple of marios they made. a 3d one, ok ive heard good things. point for that. Rayman, which is good, but not really exclusive. a mediocore Sonic, and a DK game incoming.

NSMBU may not improve much on prior games, but the standard of those prior games is already very high, so it's still a very good game.

3D World is one of the best platformers I have ever played, and I have played a lot, being a fan of the genre who started gaming in the SNES era.

As for DK, it's the direct sequel to another one of the best platformers I've ever played.

I disagree, the NSMB series as whole doesnt come close to Mario 3 or World, but maybe standards have dropped over the years.

I think its way too early to start throwing accolades for a system that has only been on the market for a little over a year.

I dont agree that Wii was untouchable, there were a LOT of great platformers released on the indie scene that never saw the light of day on the WIi

jlmurph2 said:
curl-6 said:
oniyide said:

We've already seen how far platformers have gotten the Wii U. They don't sell enough systems. I mean come on dude, only 4 million in a full year??

I wasn't talking about pushing sales, I was talking about offering the best of a specific genre. Xbone and PS4 likely won't have very strong platformer libraries compared to Wii U, just as 360 and PS3 didn't compared to the Wii; it's just not something they focus on, in the same way that Nintendo don't focus on M-rated cinematic games.

oniyide said:
curl-6 said:
oniyide said:

I disagree, the NSMB series as whole doesnt come close to Mario 3 or World, but maybe standards have dropped over the years.

I think its way too early to start throwing accolades for a system that has only been on the market for a little over a year.

I dont agree that Wii was untouchable, there were a LOT of great platformers released on the indie scene that never saw the light of day on the WIi

Mario 3 and World are still some of the finest platformers ever created; there's no shame in falling short of the all-time greats.

And what indie platformers would  those be? Of the ones I played, I didn't find any to be in even the same league as proper games like DK, Mario, even Kirby.

Around the Network

I actually really like what I've seen of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and I loved the original Donkey Kong Country in 1994 ( I never played the Wii Version though or at least only for a couple of minutes at Wal~Mart since I never bought a Wii ); however, after Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Yarn Yoshi ( since you've already announced it ) please no more 2D platformers for the rest of the 8th Generation, Nintendo. This is not 1985 or even 1994. Prove that you can actually make some modern games for a change ( and I'm not talking about updates to Wii Sports or Wii Fit).

EdHieron said:
I actually really like what I've seen of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and I loved the original Donkey Kong Country in 1994 ( I never played the Wii Version though or at least only for a couple of minutes at Wal~Mart since I never bought a Wii ); however, after Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Yarn Yoshi ( since you've already announced it ) please no more 2D platformers for the rest of the 8th Generation, Nintendo. This is not 1985 or even 1994. Prove that you can actually make some modern games for a change.

While I agree Nintendo needs to bring more variety to the table, there's no reason a 2D platformer can't be "modern".

I didn't watch the VGX. I heard about this from a YouTube video complaining about it while all the time I was thinking, "cool, that sounds like fun". People are saying that it won't be a system seller, well, news for you, it is. I'm going to buy a Wii U and the new Donkey Kong game is one of my five. You see, I have a rule; I will only buy a games console once there are 5 games that I want to play on it that I can't already play on something I already own (unless that version is significantly improved). For this reason I don't count most of the PS4 library because it has a PS3 release. Wii U has 'Super Mario 3D World', 'Sonic Lost World', 'X', 'Bayonetta 2' and 'Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze'. That's my 5, I'll be getting the console in the January sales.

Why are people so pissed off that Nintendo don't understand the current gaming trends? They do, they're just not interested in making yet more 13 year old little boys idea of manliness dressed up in yet another fucking military shooter and I for one am eternally grateful for that. They're making games for gamers, not these pre-pubescent bros who are only interested in virtual paintball (because let's face it, that's what multiplayer FPS's are) and football games. Now sure, a first person shooter can be fun from time to time as can a well made sports game, but variety is the spice of life and I'd rather Nintendo where announcing a new playable monkey in their cute, colourful, and extremely fun platformer than attempt to meet the "mainstream" gaming community half way. We have enough shooters and "gritty" combat/open world games as far as I'm concerned. I for one don't want the only gaming platform that doesn't focus on those kind of games changing to please people who are already well provided for by every other gaming platform out there.

EdHieron said:

I actually really like what I've seen of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and I loved the original Donkey Kong Country in 1994 ( I never played the Wii Version though or at least only for a couple of minutes at Wal~Mart since I never bought a Wii ); however, after Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Yarn Yoshi ( since you've already announced it ) please no more 2D platformers for the rest of the 8th Generation, Nintendo. This is not 1985 or even 1994. Prove that you can actually make some modern games for a change ( and I'm not talking about updates to Wii Sports or Wii Fit).

Whats's your definition of a modern game?

curl-6 said:
oniyide said:
curl-6 said:
oniyide said:

Mario 3 and World are still some of the finest platformers ever created; there's no shame in falling short of the all-time greats.

And what indie platformers would  those be? Of the ones I played, I didn't find any to be in even the same league as proper games like DK, Mario, even Kirby.

If im expected to spend 150-300 on your new console and the 40-50 dollars they better damn well be at least AS good as games ive already played and own for years. Otherwise what is the point? I might as well just play either 3 or World again for the umpteenth time. Hell there not even close

Limbo, Braid just to name two of my faves. Sure they werent as long but that is my point. THe games you mentioned theyve been making those for decades, it comes to a point where you are going to get diminishing returns quality wise IMHO. We are already seeing that with the 2d Mario series. Not that i dont like Ninty platformers, but where are the NEW ones? Where are the new ideas, cause frankly im only seeing them done OUTSIDE of Ninty's own franchises.