By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is completely out of touch with reality.

...Didn't Cranky Kong trend on Twitter (worldwide) almost all night though? And it wasn't promoted which means many people were talking about it. Nintendo isn't that out of touch with reality if people are still buzzing about basically an already leaked reveal lol.

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
I mostly disagree, the main thing about Nintendo is that they are completely different, it's what makes them interesting

On the other hand, I didn't find that game interesting at all. Just not in the slightest

But who are they targeting? Wii owners or HD console owners? Because they are very different markets. They don't seem to be doing very much to appear to HD owners and things like Donkey Kong only really appeal to their very core Nintendo fanbase

DKCR sold 6 million copies, which is about the same as Uncharted or Gears of War, so saying that it only appeals to the core Nintendo fans means that it is either really popular among them, or it has a broader appeal.

anonymunchy said:
Turkish said:
Nintendo missed a huge opportunity. VGX is watched by millions, Ninty Directs by tens of thousands. They could've shown a new trailer of MK8, SSB or a teaser for a new game and done a better job at marketing than a random Direct stream which only caters to Nintendo fanbase, no one else is watching those streams other than their own fanbase.

Big mistake Iwata, Reggie or whoever runs that company, this was literally the place to get non Nintendo gamers hyped for the Wii U in 2014 but all you showed was Cranky Dong.

The only number I find for VGA viewers is from 2009 and it's at 650k, a decrease from the previous years and Nintendo Directs have hundreds of thousands of views. Perhaps a glimpse of SSB or X would've been nice but I assume they had a small window of time to show something and Donkey Kong is what's going to have to move systems after the holidays.

Geoff himself said yesterday 4 million people were watching while Nintendo Direct streams hover around ~50k viewers, it was a bit more during E3 but then again it was E3.

Hynad said:

Why are people complaining so much about Nintendo here?

It's not like the VGX had any world premieres or annoucements that were any special. Most of those "World Premieres" were nothing more than a new look or new trailer for already announced games.

Seriously, the VGX were very lame this year. Even moreso than the years before.

And people are jumping at Nintendo for doing the same as any other devs that were present for that show... Really guys.

That hint at a Metroid game, how the Retro Studio responded when asked how many teams the studio had...
Make of that what you will.

I completey agree with you mate. 

Turkish said:
anonymunchy said:
Turkish said:
Nintendo missed a huge opportunity. VGX is watched by millions, Ninty Directs by tens of thousands. They could've shown a new trailer of MK8, SSB or a teaser for a new game and done a better job at marketing than a random Direct stream which only caters to Nintendo fanbase, no one else is watching those streams other than their own fanbase.

Big mistake Iwata, Reggie or whoever runs that company, this was literally the place to get non Nintendo gamers hyped for the Wii U in 2014 but all you showed was Cranky Dong.

The only number I find for VGA viewers is from 2009 and it's at 650k, a decrease from the previous years and Nintendo Directs have hundreds of thousands of views. Perhaps a glimpse of SSB or X would've been nice but I assume they had a small window of time to show something and Donkey Kong is what's going to have to move systems after the holidays.

Geoff himself said yesterday 4 million people were watching while Nintendo Direct streams hover around ~50k viewers, it was a bit more during E3 but then again it was E3.

The only ones were truely hurt yesterday was the Award Show themselves.  With 4 million viewers, I would bet that 390,000 thought it was a total pile of trash and the fact that Cranky Kong was one of the only actual things shown was patheic.   Gamers are getting really fed up with teasers and graphic show-off trailers and just want to see some actual gameplay.  Atleast Nintendo did that.

Around the Network
Turkish said:
anonymunchy said:
Turkish said:

That's actually quite a bit more than I expected, though the rest of my comment remains the same :P

Videokameras said:
Kylie its sad that you talk that way about a Miyamoto production

not really, the fact is Pikmin is not a huge series, no matter how the fans feel or what made it.

anonymunchy said:
Captain_Tom said:
anonymunchy said:
Captain_Tom said:
Fusioncode said:
Why would they want to be in touch with reality? That means they would have to recognize that the WiiU is a disaster and their image is in desperate need of change. Let them live in their fantasy world that Donkey Kong is the thing people really wanted to see tonight.

Honestly I don't think most people realize how big of a failure the Wii U is gonna end up as.  I still see people saying it will sell 30 million or blah blah blah, but here are the facts:

-The Wii U is trending at around half the weekly sales the Gamecube had

-The Gamecube launced 1.5 years after the PS2

-The Gamecube sold 22 million...

Now let those 3 things sink in people.  The Wii U is lucky to reack 15 million.  

That's not how comparisons work, you can't just chose 3 points that support your claim and ignore the rest.

The Wii U has had a terrible year, there's no denying that, but sales have been increasing over the last 6 - 8 weeks since they actually started releasing games. Black Friday sales were at 274k . Christmas period usually has 2 week with even higher sales, especially Nintendo consoles. Bringing the total Wii U's sold to an easy 5 million by the end of this year, though I expect one more bundle for Christmas which could itch it closer to 5.5 million.

Starting next year we have Wii Fit U and DKCR:TF and later Mario Kart and Smash Bros, both of which have seen an increase in sales every generation, except for an outing on gamecube by Mario Kart. Yoshi's Yarn and X are also still listed as a 2014 release.

Do you honestly believe that it will not be able to sell more in its second year?

Here's what I gathered from your response:

-Its sales have gone up recently during the christmas season. So did the Gamecubes.  I am not sure what your point is.

-The Wii U released on November 18th.  That means its first year sales were at about 4 million.  These additional sales count as next years. 

-I have lost count of how many times poeple have said "X" game will turn things around.  At this point I am tired of hearing "The next one will be different!"  I will believe it when I see it.  Although I will say SSB will at least boost sales a little temporarily.

So do I think its sales will increase in year two after it finally has competition?  NO!   I am not a Nintendo hater, I just can only go on what we know right now.  Right now we know the Wii U is trending at half the Gamecube, and the competion wasn't even here yet.  Baring a total relaunch of the Wii U and its Nintendo "Network," I don't think it will make it to even 20 million.

First quarter this year they sold 160k consoles, second quarter 300k, 3rd quarter is already over 700k. Demand is increasing as games are being released. Gamecube had droughts throughout its lifetime, with everything announced Wii U's drought appears to be over.

Whether these last sales count for next year or this one is irrelevant to your claim it'll be lucky to reach 15 million lifetime. (sorry for my question at the end, should've worded it differently)

I never claimed a single title will turn things around. I believe a collection of games will turn things around. Wii Fit U and DK for example are probably not going to cause a massive boost but they'll keep the console from dropping like it did the start of this year. It's what Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends and Wii Fit U were originally for, keeping the console alive and hyped.

I'm curious to see how well the competition's first year actually goes, neither company has a flawless record.

Amen to being curious.  Don't get me wrong, I think it is possible for the Wii U to turn things around enough to reach the Gamecube. It is incredibly possible.  But that is the key word here.  It is only just possible, and everything we have to go on now is projecting 15 million LT.  However 6 months from now I think we will have a clear idea of how this gen is gonna go.  We just need to see if or when the X1 supply reaches demand before PS4 to see how close they will be, and we need to see how fast and low Wii U's sales drop after the holidays...

The only ones were truely hurt yesterday was the Award Show themselves.  With 4 million viewers, I would bet that 390,000 thought it was a total pile of trash and the fact that Cranky Kong was one of the only actual things shown was patheic.   Gamers are getting really fed up with teasers and graphic show-off trailers and just want to see some actual gameplay.  Atleast Nintendo did that.

OMG IK!  Just show me the game!  Not a teaser or trailer!

Well,w company whose main work is to create virtual reality worlds can easily loose touch with reality

(btw "save those actual new games to show for nintendo direct"?-are you kidding?
Nintendo direct is so inflated and core gamers without a nintendo system don't care about nintendo direct-that's the wrong occassion for big announcements to reach new buyers.