By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - which is the best jrpg franchise in your opinion?

which is the best jrpg franchise?

final fantasy 97 45.33%

persona 44 20.56%

pokemon 23 10.75%

fire emblem 12 5.61%

the legend of zelda 25 11.68%

mario 9 4.21%

shin megami tensei 4 1.87%

Total:214
lestatdark said:
Of that list, Final Fantasy to me.

Though the lack of Dragon Quest is appalling. It completely eclipses almost every other JRPG series in terms of constant quality in their games (DQX is the dark sheep of the family though).

is dragon quest that good????

is it as good as what people say about xeno series?

Around the Network

I would say Persona is my favorite JRPG series even though I only played Persona 3(which I still haven't beaten yet) and Persona 4(which is one of the best games I ever played).

Still the Final Fantasy, really enjoyed all but XIII, an okay game but missed the mark on many levels

Baten Kaitos. The series only had two games, but both were the best I've played on the JRPG genre. Also, the lack of Dragon Quest and Ys on your poll is disturbing.

Xenoblade

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.” - Satoru Iwata

Around the Network
aikohualda said:
lestatdark said:

Though the lack of Dragon Quest is appalling. It completely eclipses almost every other JRPG series in terms of constant quality in their games (DQX is the dark sheep of the family though).

Most DQ games are pretty darn good, but the series really took off after DQIV. DQIV took a larger approach on character development via it's "episode" setting, which came together nicely in the end. Afterwards, subsequent DQs focused on different aspects of storytelling.

DQV, my favourite DQ and one of my favourite games of all time, also has, in my opinion, the single best storyline I've ever seen in a VG. Going through the whole stages of the main character life and the struggles of his whole family was and still is an unique experience.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Final Fantasy without question.

Second is probably SMT/Persona. Third is a tougher question as I could consider a lot of series for this spot (Tales, Suikoden, .hack, Atelier, etc).

Just noticed the poll. Why are Mario and Zelda in the poll.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

lestatdark said:
aikohualda said:
lestatdark said:

Most DQ games are pretty darn good, but the series really took off after DQIV. DQIV took a larger approach on character development via it's "episode" setting, which came together nicely in the end. Afterwards, subsequent DQs focused on different aspects of storytelling.

DQV, my favourite DQ and one of my favourite games of all time, also has, in my opinion, the single best storyline I've ever seen in a VG. Going through the whole stages of the main character life and the struggles of his whole family was and still is an unique experience.

can i add you on my 3ds? :)

Some very odd choices in that Poll for "franchises" Zelda, Mario vary from game to game, most not being remotely RPG like. No Kingdom Hearts? Tales of Series?

I would say Final Fantasy only because It used to have the best JRPGs you could find around. The series has fallen since it's hay day obviously but FFVII-FFXII are still my most prized games. The Persona series is rapidly gaining, if only they could find a way to put out a game more than once a generation. At least releasing before gen's end would be nice. P3 and P4 put the series on the map and shine brighter then any recent JRPG of note to me.

Every game kind of pales in the magnificence that is Persona 4 Golden!!!!!!! :D

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

aikohualda said:
lestatdark said:
aikohualda said:
lestatdark said:

can i add you on my 3ds? :)

Sure, give me your friend code over at my wall.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"