By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - which is the best jrpg franchise in your opinion?

which is the best jrpg franchise?

final fantasy 97 45.33%

persona 44 20.56%

pokemon 23 10.75%

fire emblem 12 5.61%

the legend of zelda 25 11.68%

mario 9 4.21%

shin megami tensei 4 1.87%

Total:214
Devil_Survivor said:
What about the Tales series lol? Or Xeno games for that matters? those are both great Jrpgs.

Its difficult to consider those just one series.

Xenogears is definitly awesome. Xenosaga not so much until episode 3. Xenoblade sadly i didnt have the chance to play, but its 3 different series. It hasnt stabilised enough as a franchise yet. But with Nintendo now owning monolith soft, the series will gain much needed stability.

Around the Network
Nem said:
lestatdark said:
Nem said:
The best RPG franchises are:

Suikoden
Grandia

but they are dormant.

From the active ones:

Persona
Tales

Grandia lost a lot of it's potential with Grandia Xtreme. That game was abhorrent to the Grandia name. Though if we go back, Grandia and Grandia 2 were two of the best JRPG gems of their time. 

That and Justin + Feena are one of the best couples in any JRPG .

I loved all 4 of them. Xtreme was light on story but the combat was great as always. The series consistently delivers a great combat system, if not the best.

Though, yeah... the first 2 were the best.

That's the thing. To me, Grandia has been the synonym of amazing stories and compelling characters with great characterization and personalities.

Justin, Feena, Sue, Gadwin, Rapp, Liete, Leen, General Baal, Lily, Coronel Mullen, Ryudo, Elena, Millenia, Roan, Mareg, Tio, Melfice, Selene, Skye, Yuki, Alfina, Dahna, Violetta, Alonso, Emelious and Raven - All of these were amazing characters with amazing stories, characterization and development.

Xtreme lost all of that and only focused on the battle system. The system was great, because Grandia had a near perfect battle system for a JRPG to begin with. 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

FF may have had a few shockers but I can replay the older titles countless times, so I'm going with that.

There are many great games everywhere but Phantasy Star is undoubtedly the best jrpg franchise in existence

fabinou said:
Not even counting Dragon quest, chronologically the first jrpg franchise of all time and one of the most sold is so weird.

Plus I always thought zelda was an action adventure game...

From an European player point of view it's not so weird, as that franchise was not localised in Europe until recently.

The first Dragon Quest game localised in Europe was Dragon Quest 8, which is the first one i actually played as well.

Around the Network

mario and Zelda for me

Zelda - Breath of the Wild for Nintendo Switch.... Incredable!!!

man i really live behind the moon, never would i thought final Fantasy is more popular than Zelda

1. starocean is mine and will always be !
2. final fantasy
3. breath of fire
4. Zelda
5. tales of ....

Any person whom makes a best of JRPG's thread and doesn't have Final Fantasy and Suikoden franchises should be banned from being able to make anymore threads.

If we take the whole series, Final Fantasy.

But if they continue shitting it the way they've been doing during the 7th gen, I'll change my mind.