By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is X1 forcing Kinect on us any different than PS3 forcing Bluray on us?

???

Yea! 301 40.13%

Nay! 447 59.60%

Total:748
Mr Puggsly said:
Serious_frusting said:

I would not agree but with that said i dont want to come across as saying vgc is full of idiots lol

A lot of people would just read the title and answer straight away without thinking how the sentence is structured. but oh well, its only gaming.

Well I did wonder if the title confused SOME people. However, I believe the way I worded it is easy to understand.

We can't presume everyone that agrees with me is an idiot!

Frankly, I think the reason so many people agree with me is because the PS3 never got anything that truly blew the 360 out of the water. Basically everything seen on the PS3 seemed possible on the 360, even if it may have required a few more discs.

except every exclusive on PS3, like MGS IV, which wouldn't work on 360 unless it were redesigned from the ground up (like MGS V).

Plus, after playing God of War, and The Last of Us, I don't think the 360 could handle them without lag. 360 has it's limits, but......this has nothing to do with Kinect/BR.....

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:

1)

2) But the purpose of blu-ray drives is to use blue light to read data. blu-light wavelength light can transfer 5x more data per given space on the disk, this is why BR disks are 5x bigger then DVD's (Dual Layer Blu-Ray disks are about 45GB, a dvd is what 4.7GB? 2x5x4.7=47GB)

3) I think 3 games on PS3/360 run in rative 1080p, and it's because those games are shit and have nothing on screen. From memory it's something like FIFA Street and Virtua Tennis or something.

2) Not entirely accurate.
Certain types of light have different types of wavelengths.
Blue light can do 405nm.

Red Light
can do 650nm.
However if you play with the optics you can significantly reduce that, if you play with the track width and the pit lengths in theory a red light based optical disc could hold more storage than Blu-ray.
The downside to that approach is that discs would need to be thicker again.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Goatseye said:
Blood_Tears said:

LOL  Are you seriously bragging about the X1's Blu-ray playback?  Neither PS4 or X1 have a better playback/feature set then a dedicated player so I don't know what you have to brag about on that one. You have expensive and refined taste? Is that why you pay 100$ extra for a weaker game system with better Blu-ray playback? Your gloating over tech from 2006 or maybe you just got confused and were looking for an HD DVD/Blu-ray thread on amazon.com instead.

Awe well, carry on with your "refined taste"

I guess typing on a 1970's tech doesn't bother you as much as "the old tech from 2006".

First of all, you weren't in the conversation and all of a sudden you just jump in and "shoot" in all directions.

Second, I don't buy movies in Blu-Ray format anymore (since 2009-10).

Third, I'd take a flexible weaker gaming system anyday over a rigid graphic card update.

And then get yourself informed with this:

Xbox One will most likely get VLC for video streaming (quality).

Isn’t that what you did with DonFerrari?  Just jumped in the conversation when he wasn’t talking to you? He did say that was he wasn’t talking to you and you had no problem chiming in with your little refined comment.

So first of all you’re hypocritical on that point. Second I don’t care and third good for you. You enjoy that “flexibility”. However; posting a rumor on a blog about a potential app coming in the future is just grasping at straws and shows your desperation on the matter.

What does a VLC player even have to do with Blu-ray in this thread?  Both systems are flexible and apps will come to both over the years.  Maybe you’re the one that needs to inform yourself because if your looking to post links to inform me, start with one on the lack of Twitch on X1. You seem to want to go off topic with your “apps”. So there’s one for ya.  Nonetheless, thanks for “informing” me.

Blood_Tears said:

Isn’t that what you did with DonFerrari?  Just jumped in the conversation when he wasn’t talking to you? He did say that was he wasn’t talking to you and you had no problem chiming in with your little refined comment.

So first of all you’re hypocritical on that point. Second I don’t care and third good for you. You enjoy that “flexibility”. However; posting a rumor on a blog about a potential app coming in the future is just grasping at straws and shows your desperation on the matter.

What does a VLC player even have to do with Blu-ray in this thread?  Both systems are flexible and apps will come to both over the years.  Maybe you’re the one that needs to inform yourself because if your looking to post links to inform me, start with one on the lack of Twitch on X1. You seem to want to go off topic with your “apps”. So there’s one for ya.  Nonetheless, thanks for “informing” me.

I extendended that wagon to you.

I'm not really going off-topic, because we mentioned software to playback BR-discs.

And you're welcome.

Hitman Absolution looks better on teh PS3 than 360, thanks to Blu Ray..
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hitman-absolution-face-off

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:

1)

2) But the purpose of blu-ray drives is to use blue light to read data. blu-light wavelength light can transfer 5x more data per given space on the disk, this is why BR disks are 5x bigger then DVD's (Dual Layer Blu-Ray disks are about 45GB, a dvd is what 4.7GB? 2x5x4.7=47GB)

3) I think 3 games on PS3/360 run in rative 1080p, and it's because those games are shit and have nothing on screen. From memory it's something like FIFA Street and Virtua Tennis or something.

2) You're thinking too hard. Ultimately, the disc drive in the 360 can transfer more Mbits per second. If the PS3 had a 4x drive instead, it would have been slightly faster than the DVD in the 360.

3) I'm not arguing whether or not those games are shit, I just gave you an example of 1080p on the 360. Achieving 1080p with good graphics and smooth framerate depends on the GPU, not the disc drive.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Michael-5 said:

except every exclusive on PS3, like MGS IV, which wouldn't work on 360 unless it were redesigned from the ground up (like MGS V).

Plus, after playing God of War, and The Last of Us, I don't think the 360 could handle them without lag. 360 has it's limits, but......this has nothing to do with Kinect/BR.....

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Michael-5 said:

Again, instead of accepting facts, you're choosing the moral high grounds of insulting the other when you're backed into a corner, or plain don't agree. Would it be too hard to say, "I was wrong, sorry" or "I disagree, but accept your opinion"?

I think we're done here, and I think you're pretty biased towards to 360 if you think it could play some of the exclusives which are outside the systems processing capabilities.

---

Anyway the thread was about Kinect, not graphics, and Kinect is not needed, so MS is forcing it upon us. Like many people said here, BR was a decision made to increase the amount of storage on a disk, and allow games more space. This largely paid off, as many PS3 exclusives hover around 40GB, and many late life 360 games, + JRPG's required 2 or more disks.

Kinect....isn't a design choice, it's a marketing ploy. It doesn't do anything to improve gameplay, and can be easily removed (unlike BR). So why is there no Kinect free package?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Some people are very confused. Optical storage DOES NOT improve your game or graphics in any way whatsoever. It is simply a means to deliver the data. A huge game could come in 5 DVDs or in 1 blu-ray or be downloaded or whatever. The way the data is delivered is irrelevant to the game's quality. Also, running games directly from optical storage, wether its blu-ray or dvd, is pathetic. Compare to HDD/SSD, optical drives are loud, slow and more prone to fail eventually.  All games should be installed on the hard drive, in their entirety, before play. Optical drive should be inactive during gameplay. X360 offered such a feature on a system level, PS3 didn't.

Blu-ray was awesome for movie playback, and for convenience. It didn't improve the games in any way.

Michael-5 said:

Again, instead of accepting the others opinion, you're choosing the moral high grounds of insulting the other when you just plain don't agree..

I think we're done here, and I think you're pretty biased towards to 360 if you think it could play some of the exclusives which are outside the systems processing capabilities.

---

Anyway the thread was about Kinect, not graphics, and Kinect is not needed, so MS is forcing it upon us. Like many people said here, BR was a decision made to increase the amount of storage on a disk, and allow games more space. This largely paid off, as many PS3 exclusives hover around 40GB, and many late life 360 games, + JRPG's required 2 or more disks.

Kinect....isn't a design choice, it's a marketing ploy. It doesn't do anything to improve gameplay, and can be easily removed (unlike BR). So why is there no Kinect free package?

I didn't insult you, I just don't agree with the point you keep hammering. I don't accept your opinion.

There is no doubt in my mind developers can bring any PS3 exclusive to the 360. Could it look 100% exactly the same? Who knows?

PS3 exclusives are often ~40GB to speed up load times, not because the games have a lot of content.

As I said in my OP, the best things we saw from Bluray in the PS3 was sharper movies and less disc swaps.

I think the line between design and marketing is blurry. Obviously design choices are marketed.

MS's vision of the X1 included the Kinect. That's why there isn't a Kinect free package. Perhaps that'll change in the future to get the price down.

Recently Completed