By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is X1 forcing Kinect on us any different than PS3 forcing Bluray on us?

???

Yea! 301 40.13%

Nay! 447 59.60%

Total:748
Michael-5 said:

Konami said MGS4 can't be partitioned to fit on a 360 disk, and yes I've played the game. I doubt they would have clearly separated the game into 5 acts with a 2-3 minute load between acts if they weren't at least trying to port the game to 360. This game didn't get ported to the 360 because it was designed originally to be a PS4 exclusive, and just the way they designed the engine, I guess they couldn't partition it.

And why couldn't it span multiple disks? There is literally no technical reason why it couldn't be achieved.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Michael-5 said:

Konami said MGS4 can't be partitioned to fit on a 360 disk, and yes I've played the game. I doubt they would have clearly separated the game into 5 acts with a 2-3 minute load between acts if they weren't at least trying to port the game to 360. This game didn't get ported to the 360 because it was designed originally to be a PS4 exclusive, and just the way they designed the engine, I guess they couldn't partition it.

And why couldn't it span multiple disks? There is literally no technical reason why it couldn't be achieved.

Again, like I said before they probably couldn't partition it to fit that way. Maybe 1 component of the game is just too big to fit on a 360 disk, or maybe it's just too big to fit anything else on the disk with it.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:
Pemalite said:
Michael-5 said:

Again, like I said before they probably couldn't partition it to fit that way. Maybe 1 component of the game is just too big to fit on a 360 disk, or maybe it's just too big to fit anything else on the disk with it.

Essentially, you have stated no technical reason.

Pemalite said:
Michael-5 said:
Pemalite said:
Michael-5 said:

Do you understand that if you can't partition it, it won't fit on the disk?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Michael-5 said:
Pemalite said:
Michael-5 said:
Pemalite said:
Michael-5 said:

I never said anything about partitioning, nor would it be the method a developer would use to span a game across multiple discs.
Take Final Fantasy for Instance, that was on a heap of DVD's and it worked perfectly fine from a technical perspective.

Thus far you have only presented opinion.

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Pemalite said:

Ya know... developers have figured out ways to split games into multiple discs for many years now. Yet for some reason you think a wall has been hit with MGS4? Amazing!

You have too little faith in game developers, too little.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Pemalite said:
Michael-5 said:

I never said anything about partitioning, nor would it be the method a developer would use to span a game across multiple discs.
Take Final Fantasy for Instance, that was on a heap of DVD's and it worked perfectly fine from a technical perspective.

Thus far you have only presented opinion.

I don't think you understand what partitioning is. You just contradicted yourself because you don't understand the meaning of that word.

Also Final Fantasy XIII worked fine, but not well on 360. Compressed videos, 576p resolution on 360 (which is SD), lower resolution......this shows that while SE was able to partition this game, they had to make serious cuts to the game to do so. Kotaku even said "nowhere nearly as impressive (on 360)"

Thus far..... -_-

Mr Puggsly said:
Michael-5 said:
Pemalite said:

Ya know... developers have figured out ways to split games into multiple discs for many years now. Yet for some reason you think a wall has been hit with MGS4? Amazing!

You have too little faith in game developers, too little.

You're amazing.

You can partition a game while it's in development, but post development that's a different story. MGS4 is an example of how a game can't always be partitioned once it's been build to be read off a larger medium.

Michael-5 said:

I don't think you understand what partitioning is. You just contradicted yourself because you don't understand the meaning of that word.

Also Final Fantasy XIII worked fine, but not well on 360. Compressed videos, 576p resolution on 360 (which is SD), lower resolution......this shows that while SE was able to partition this game, they had to make serious cuts to the game to do so. Kotaku even said "nowhere nearly as impressive (on 360)"

Thus far..... -_-

Partitioning is the act of splitting up a volume into smaller or larger parts.

And I'm aware how Final Fantasy was downgraded, but you're missing the point ENTIRELY. - The point is, it was still possible and it still worked.
Metal Gear Solid is again, possible and will still work, even if it had to use 9,000 DVD's and streamed the FMV from the cloud and installed some data to the Hard Drive.

It's not like they have to rebuild the entire game from scratch.

Michael-5 said:

You're amazing.

You can partition a game while it's in development, but post development that's a different story. MGS4 is an example of how a game can't always be partitioned once it's been build to be read off a larger medium.

The developers of Witcher 2 figured it out. But apparently Konmai can't. I guess Konami just sucks.

Maybe it takes more work post development, but it can certainly be done.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)