By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is X1 forcing Kinect on us any different than PS3 forcing Bluray on us?

???

Yea! 301 40.13%

Nay! 447 59.60%

Total:748

blu-ray wasn't needed. the ps3 and 360 were outputting the same games essentially. so this benefit you people are talking about doesn't exist. and unlike kinnect it added about $200 to the console price. while I agree kinnect isn't essential in the slightest, it adds far more to what the console couldn't do without it than what ever invisible addition the blue-ray drive was.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I'll take Kojimas word on the initial size of the game before it was compressed. Even compressed that still four 360 DVD's for about ten hours of action. As I said, still not worth it.

No, MGS4 is 4 hours of action and 10 hours of cutscene.

The game can be compressed further. I bet they could get it on two discs.

Anyhow, its not gonna happen so we're just giving our opinions.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I'll take Kojimas word on the initial size of the game before it was compressed. Even compressed that still four 360 DVD's for about ten hours of action. As I said, still not worth it.

No, MGS4 is 4 hours of action and 10 hours of cutscene.

The game can be compressed further. I bet they could get it on two discs.

Anyhow, its not gonna happen so we're just giving our opinions.

You just made it worse. Its not even worth it to put on three DVD's. MGS4 was a selling point for next gen game capacity. Deal with the facts Microsoft and Nintendo both joined the Blu Ray club. It is essential.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

You just made it worse. Its not even worth it to put on three DVD's. MGS4 was a selling point for next gen game capacity. Deal with the facts Microsoft and Nintendo both joined the Blu Ray club. It is essential.

I think they can fit 4 hours of gameplay and muddy textures in two discs. That's just my opinion though.

Once again, you missed the point of original OP. It makes sense to use Bluray now, but it wasn't essential by any means for the 7th gen.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I think they can fit 4 hours of gameplay and muddy textures in two discs. That's just my opinion though.

Once again, you missed the point of original OP. It makes sense to use Bluray now, but it wasn't essential by any means for the 7th gen.

Blu Ray wasn't forced on anyone. Kinect was forced because its not completely essential to the system. Sony has always been pushing formats since they joined the gaming industry. The Playstation brand has always effected the market price of associated formats outside of the gaming industry. DVD wouldn't have dropped in price if it wasnt for the PS2 and a year later original Xbox. Because of their success with the DVD format Sony was a shoe in to usher in the next gen of format for the Blu Ray association and streamline it. 

The Kinect is not essential to the Xbox One. They would like for us to use it, but we dont need it. Its a peripheral device which means its secondary. Blu Ray in all consoles is primary. There is a difference between primary and secondary. Sony knows the difference, so why can't Microsoft? 

I've plugged out the Kinect myself. Trust me, I can use Xbox snap without the Kinect. Kinect isn't essential to use it either, they just never told anyone. I will not deny that its impressive to call out for the Xbox snap, but I've used it and its just as good with or without Kinect. 

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Blu Ray wasn't forced on anyone. Kinect was because its not essential to the system.

Bluray wasn't essential though.

Recently Completed

outlawauron said:
You're comparing a internal disc drive to an external camera accessory?

I'm not really sure if I understand this logic either...

Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Blu Ray wasn't forced on anyone. Kinect was because its not essential to the system.

So would you rather the PS3 be a digital only console? Whats more, would you like for all of the big threes consoles to be digital only? Sony took the risk and helped popularize and cut the costs of Blu Ray. Now everyone including their competitors can use it. MS tried to kill off Blu Ray and now they want to use it. That is saying something.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

So would you rather the PS3 be a digital only console?

So its either Bluray or digital? Those are the only options?

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

So would you rather the PS3 be a digital only console?

So its either Bluray or digital? Those are the only options?

Well Sony pushed DVD and eventually they considered it obsolete because they are a format and hardware company. They were the first to help bring down the costs of DVD. In the early 2000's people were still using VHS because they could not afford a DVD player and Sony took the risk on it. I believe they would be the professionals in the matter. They did help Nintendo and turn down working with Microsoft after all.