By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is X1 forcing Kinect on us any different than PS3 forcing Bluray on us?

???

Yea! 301 40.13%

Nay! 447 59.60%

Total:748
Shadow1980 said:
One is a format, the other is an accessory. Therefore, they are not the same.

We progressed through various formats out of practical necessity. We went from ROM cartridges to discs for console games because discs offered more space for more content (CDs held up to 700 MB, while N64 carts ranged from 8 to 20 MB), plus they were far cheaper to make. But even the PS1's CD format was not enough for some games to be fit on a single disc, so by necessity we transitioned to DVDs in the sixth generation beginning with the PS2. DVDs could hold a minimum of 4.7 GB, a 6.7 times increase, which increased the system's value to the customer. A double-layer DVD could hold an addition 4 GB. In addition, it allowed the PS2 to double as a DVD player. But file sizes continue to get bigger over time. Even 8.7 GB isn't enough for some game, as we saw with FFXIII, which was a 2-DVD game on the 360. Just as Sony saw the value in CDs with the PS1 and DVDs with the PS2, they again saw the value in the 25-50GB capacity of Blu-ray discs. It's a lot more economical to put your games on a single disc, and for some of the bigger games it could cost a few million extra dollars in manufacturing costs to produce a multi-disc game. It's probably one reason why MGS4 was never ported to the 360; it would have needed at least four discs. Of course, Blu-ray was Sony's format, so it makes sense they would use it, and it was a very new format at the time, so the 360 couldn't have practically adopted it. But as we see, the XBO uses Blu-ray now, and not just so the system can play movies. Long story short, the adoption of newer and better formats is necessary.

The Kinect, however, was never something conceived out of practical necessity. It is a mere accessory, one with limited practical value and one that was created in response to the rise of motion gaming. It's of limited value as an input method for video gaming and as a method for navigating the UI. In nearly all cases, a simple press of a button on a gamepad will do better. Kinect subsists mainly on its "Wow!" factor, and not only is it unnecessary, it's technically optional. However, MS is adamant on including it with all XBOs instead of offering a second $400 Kinect-less SKU with the Kinect sold separately. Now, some may argue that bundling it with all systems incentivizes developers to add Kinect functionality with games. My counterargument would be the Wii: the Wii Remote was the default controller for the system and was as a result packaged with all systems. After 25 years of one failed attempt after another, his was the first time motion controls were truly viable. The Wiimote actually worked! But how many non-Nintendo games really did anything really mind-blowing with the Wiimote?

Of course, accelerometer-based tech like the Wiimote and cameras like the Kinect are two different things, but I still think the end result will be much the same even though the Kinect is bundled. What possible mind-blowing, paradigm-shifting, totally indispensable "better-than-a-button-push" new thing could they add to a game like Halo? I imagine a select few developers can come up with something useful, but I'm not expecting anything that will come anywhere close to revolutionizing gaming. We've been waiting 25 years for something really awesome to come from motion controlsyet here we are, still waiting. Every now and then we get something that works well and is pretty cool — Super Mario Galaxy made very good use of the Wiimote, though even it would have been just as good had motion controls never been part of the equation —, but doesn't really do anything to advance the frontiers of gaming, and I don't think including Kinect with every XBO will encourage devs to eventually unlock its true potential (if it has any) any more than the Wiimote being the Wii's primary controller encouraged devs to do anything truly revolutionary with waggle-based controls. So, forgive me for thinking that the Kinect will still fail to catch on as the "Next Big Thing." There's little it can do that more traditional input methods can't already do, and the things only it can do will be at best supplementary yet largely unnecessary and likely just plain gimmicky.

Thank You! You get it!

Also I want to mention something with the Wii. Wii-motes didn't bring the consoles price up magically, and by not using the Wii functionality, Wii motes work like traditional controllers. Plus if you really didn't like them, the Wii did have a Gamecube controller port, and allowed you to use Gamecube controllers on nearly every game.

With XBO and Kinect, if you don't use Kinect, it's just sitting there collecting dust. It doesn't have an alternative purpose, and it does reduce the price significantly (I hear the Kinect is 40% the price of the XBO) if you don't get it. So why are they forcing it upon us?

PS3 with BR was a design choice, Sony couldn't exactly make a discount PS3 which can play most non BR games. That would confuse people. As a side note, many of PS2's later games used duel layer DVD's, so it's fairly obvious that PS3 games would need more space. Sony didn't want to do the two disk thing like the 360 and Gamecube had, and I agree. Plus you get a Blu-Ray player, which is a free perk

Mr Puggsly said:
theleaguegame said:
ehh if u dont want blue ray go back to the ps2 or xbox enjoy those dvd games.

Finally, this guy gets it!

I was clearly saying Bluray has made games worse.

Good night everybody!

How? How did Blu-Ray make games worse? Disk space is 5x larger, and reading speed is 5x faster too. Plus nowadays, the cost isn't that different, and I'm not sure if DVD's could transfer information fast enough to allow a 1080p game to process.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

Mr Puggsly said:

Good night everybody!

How? How did Blu-Ray make games worse? Disk space is 5x larger, and reading speed is 5x faster too. Plus nowadays, the cost isn't that different, and I'm not sure if DVD's could transfer information fast enough to allow a 1080p game to process.

1) Well, sir... that was sarcasm. I don't believe Bluray made games look worse... obviously.

2) The DVD drive in the Xbox 360 reads at 12x. The Bluray drive in PS3 is 1x. Without getting into technical information, all you need to know is the drive in the 360 actually reads data much, much, much faster. Don't believe me? Look it up.

3) 1080p has nothing to do with the speed of the disc drive. Its the GPU that produces 1080p. There are a few 360 games that are 1080p.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

your wording of the question is very leading. Had you asked a question like this in official polls or to get statistical data, you would have been universally panned. :D

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Michael-5 said:

I'm not saying PS3 games all look better because they are on BR disks, I'm saying they look better. PS3 is a more powerful system, and putting the games on BR disks allowed many games to take advantage of PS3's power.

Your argument would have more validity if all PS3 games actually looked better than the 360 counterparts. It has become apparent you have no idea what you're talking about.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Serious_frusting said:
your wording of the question is very leading. Had you asked a question like this in official polls or to get statistical data, you would have been universally panned. :D

Meh, I think the people polled are smarter than you give them credit for.

Recently Completed

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Serious_frusting said:

Meh, I think the people polled are smarter than you give them credit for.

I would not agree but with that said i dont want to come across as saying vgc is full of idiots lol

A lot of people would just read the title and answer straight away without thinking how the sentence is structured. but oh well, its only gaming.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Wow. This is still going?

Blu-Ray for the PS3 is an option. It was an option to include it. Sony decided to put it in just as MS has with Kinect. Neither just appeared in/with the consoles. Both increased the prices. It really isn't hard to grasp.

They're not exactly the same but to say there is no similarities.... Come on...

Serious_frusting said:

I would not agree but with that said i dont want to come across as saying vgc is full of idiots lol

A lot of people would just read the title and answer straight away without thinking how the sentence is structured. but oh well, its only gaming.

Well I did wonder if the title confused SOME people. However, I believe the way I worded it is easy to understand.

We can't presume everyone that agrees with me is an idiot!

Frankly, I think the reason so many people agree with me is because the PS3 never got anything that truly blew the 360 out of the water. Basically everything seen on the PS3 seemed possible on the 360, even if it may have required a few more discs.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:

Mr Puggsly said:

Good night everybody!

1) Well, sir... that was sarcasm. I don't believe Bluray made games look worse... obviously.

2) The DVD drive in the Xbox 360 reads at 12x. The Bluray drive in PS3 is 1x. Without getting into technical information, all you need to know is the drive in the 360 actually reads data much, much, much faster. Don't believe me? Look it up.

3) 1080p has nothing to do with the speed of the disc drive. Its the GPU that produces 1080p. There are a few 360 games that are 1080p.

1)

2) But the purpose of blu-ray drives is to use blue light to read data. blu-light wavelength light can transfer 5x more data per given space on the disk, this is why BR disks are 5x bigger then DVD's (Dual Layer Blu-Ray disks are about 45GB, a dvd is what 4.7GB? 2x5x4.7=47GB)

3) I think 3 games on PS3/360 run in rative 1080p, and it's because those games are shit and have nothing on screen. From memory it's something like FIFA Street and Virtua Tennis or something.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Mr Puggsly said:
Michael-5 said:

I'm not saying PS3 games all look better because they are on BR disks, I'm saying they look better. PS3 is a more powerful system, and putting the games on BR disks allowed many games to take advantage of PS3's power.

Your argument would have more validity if all PS3 games actually looked better than the 360 counterparts. It has become apparent you have no idea what you're talking about.

uhhh..... most PS3 games do look better. To limit my arguement to apply only for all cases is completely illogical. A lot of games were developed for 360 then ported to PS3, this was especially true early in the gen. Later on, this wasn't the case, but some many games were still designed for 360/PC.

In the end, while most MP games look better on PS3 (and exclusives look much better, when tells you going MP to 360 really brought down the graphical capabilities of most games), some will look better on 360 if they were developed for 360 or PC. A good example of a game which just works better on 360 is Fallout/Skyrim.

It has become apparent that when you disagree with someone, you'd rather insult them then accept the opinions of others

----

P.S. Since when were you such an XB fan?